Main Menu

An indie comic mini rant

Started by bluemeanie, 05 January, 2011, 04:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 07 January, 2011, 10:28:52 AM
Another thing to consider when looking at these is track record. Will it actually get made?

I've been let down quite a few times by well intentioned artists who never deliver a strip, so I'm well aware that the best laid plans can go awry.

Of course, part of the reason for getting money up front is to help make sure it does get made. With a standard creator-owned deal you might not start seeing any decent cash coming in until the trade is in the shops which can be a long way down the line. Both Phonogram and Gutsville were delayed by the artists having to go and get work-for-hire gigs to actually make some money for food and rent (although I have heard Frazer Irving largely lives off squirrels he catches with his bare hands). If you had the money up front you'd avoid this and you'd also have the added pressure to get it done because you've already been partly paid for it.

However, as lod says, it can grate when you are essentially doing this for free or for some future cash which may never arrive (or worse it may never see print as some Insomnia folks are finding).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Peter Wolf

It seems like the problem with Kickstarter isnt necessarily the fact that others are attempting to raise funds to back their projects which is fair enough providing its not rudeness like "GIVE ME MONEY !!" but its the time limit on being able to raise funds because imagine if you were three quarters of the way there or more and you have two days left to go and if you fail to raise the cash in the allotted time than thats it.

I dont see the need for there having to be a time limit on how long you have to raise the cash and its the existence of it that is generating all of the emails that are desperate for cash.

This aspect of KickStarter needs to be sorted out .
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 07 January, 2011, 06:12:21 PM
I dont see the need for there having to be a time limit on how long you have to raise the cash and its the existence of it that is generating all of the emails that are desperate for cash.

No, it doesn't! If there wasn't a final date, then you'd have no idea when they were going to bill your card for your pre-order. You might make the pledge in good faith and then turn out to be desperately skint when they wanted payment, potentially leaving the project short of the number of funders required.

I accept that people's circumstances change unexpectedly, and people might still find themselves unable to honour their pledge even on a fixed date, but I'd have thought you'd get a lot more defaulters if they just randomly billed you an unspecified amount of time after you'd agreed to support the project...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 07 January, 2011, 08:20:16 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 07 January, 2011, 06:12:21 PM

No, it doesn't! If there wasn't a final date, then you'd have no idea when they were going to bill your card for your pre-order. You might make the pledge in good faith and then turn out to be desperately skint when they wanted payment, potentially leaving the project short of the number of funders required.

I accept that people's circumstances change unexpectedly, and people might still find themselves unable to honour their pledge even on a fixed date, but I'd have thought you'd get a lot more defaulters if they just randomly billed you an unspecified amount of time after you'd agreed to support the project...

Cheers

Jim

I hadnt thought about that aspect of it but anyway it was just a thought.Theres 7 pages of creators that got their funding so they must all be doing something right.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death