Main Menu

Warrior-Con, 2nd July @ The Lass O’Gowrie, Manchester

Started by Emperor, 06 June, 2011, 01:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

I am not half tempted by this:

QuoteThere are large scale conventions and there are small scale conventions. And they both have their merits, and they can both be enjoyable.

Well, here's a very small scale one – Warrior Con. 60 people will fit into The Lass O'Gowrie pub in Manchester on Saturday July 2nd for a celebration of 30 years of Warrior magazine with host for the evening, Dez Skinn.

The event's organised by Gareth Kavanagh, who also co-edits the Doctor Who comics zine – Vworp Vworp. (The Vworp Vworp website appears down).

Kavanagh's promising "special guests for a celebratory look back at one of our true comic treasures – Warrior", so it may well be worth investigating.

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2011/warrior-con-july/
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

maryanddavid

Not a hope of me making it, but Id love to. The first 10 issues of Warrior are near the perfect comic.

David

Dandontdare

Reckon I'll pop down for this. The Lass is a cracking little pub and Warrior was a cracking little comic, even though I've only got a few tatty back issues.

Daveycandlish

The best comic ever! Sorely tempted by this - pity it's in the middle of my fortnight off work - do you think my wife will mind if I tell her to go on holiday on her own this year because I want to go and talk about old comics in a pub?
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

mygrimmbrother

matty_ae

Both ticket sites say the 'event' starts at 10am.
I'm up for this if it's an evening talk... Or is this an all day?

The Legendary Shark

Ooooh... I'd love to go to this. Anybody from the Southport/ish area interested in mounting an expedition? Train seems cheap enough...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

matty_ae

Emperor

Other Lass O'Gowrie events (I'll probably make this a general Lassfest thread after Warrior Con):

QuoteOn 3rd July there's Vworp 4, a Doctor Who con that includes some guests from the world of British comics. These are Martin Geraghty, Adrian Salmon and Dez Skinn, all of whom have been closely involved with Doctor Who Magazine's comic strips. The con also features various other figures from the world of Who, such as Katy Manning (Third Doctor companion, Jo Grant) and Andrew Cartmel (the programme's script editor during Sylvester's McCoy's tenure).

And, as part of the Lass's Pub Fiction slot, some comic creators will be giving talks:

On 19th July, John Reppion of the Moore/Reppion writing team (Raise the Dead/Albion) presents a talk on different incarnations of the cities of Liverpool and Manchester, real and imagined, in his own writing, the work of others and beyond.

22nd July sees an audience with Al Ewing, a British comics writer with extensive experience in the small press and 2000 AD.

And on 23rd July, Bryan Talbot discusses his graphic novels Grandville and Grandville Mon Amour and the venerable and on-going tradition of anthropomorphic characters in illustration and comics from which they have emerged.

These events are all part of the pub's annual Lassfest, which runs from 1st July - 1st August. This showcases all aspects of the arts, with live theatre, readings, stand-up comedy and much, much more. Go here and scroll down to see what's on when.

http://downthetubescomics.blogspot.com/2011/06/comics-and-more-at-lass.html

And similar from FP:

Quotethe day after; 3rd July, he's putting on Vworp 4, a Doctor Who mini-convention. Gareth Kavanagh co-edits the Doctor Who comics zine – Vworp Vworp and guests at Vworp 4 include Dez Skinn (obviously staying overnight after Warrior Con), Martin Geraghty, Adrian Salmon (both involved with various Dr Who Mag comic strips) and Katy Manning (who played Jo Grant – companion to Pertwee's Third Doctor) and Andrew Cartmel (Doctor Who script editor during the time of Sylvester's McCoy).

And that's certainly not the end of comics events at the Lass;

July 19th sees John Reppion, talking comics and writing about Liverpool and Manchester, July 22nd it's an audience with Al Ewing, and July rounds out on the 23rd with an audience with Bryan Talbot, who'll be talking Grandville and more (including hopefully something about his new collaboration with his wife Dr Mary Talbot – Dotter Of Her Father's Eyes).

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2011/lass-ogowrie-comic-stuff-in-an-award-winning-pub/

Now that is a fine line-up.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!