Main Menu

Riots

Started by MR. ELIMINATOR, 12 August, 2011, 09:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Plenty of movies use stock footage of riots, nothing unusual there, sadly.

Just a matter of time.

I thought the most ill-judged usage of real footage were atrocities in Burma in the last Rambo film...

M.I.K.

It's one of my pet hates and seems to be happening more and more.

They do it in games too, (ie; stock footage in Call of Duty showing real people being executed and bodies thrown into piles. Yes, it's a war game, but surely the emphasis should be on the "game" part).

I was also extremely pissed off by the Mortal Kombat trailer last year that showed real footage and photographs of children suffering from harlequin icthyosis to explain the origins of Reptile, (portrayed in that version as a homicidal head-eating cannibal).

I don't understand how anyone could think it's alright to mix film of real-life tragedy and atrocity which has happened in living memory with something that's meant to be entertainment, but I find it completely disrespectful and sickening and it makes me very, very angry.

Beaky Smoochies

Time for a new topic methinks, anyone any ideas, I'm flummoxed...?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Emperor

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 14 August, 2011, 07:30:37 AM

What's your favourite soup?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

SKD

Quote from: Emperor on 14 August, 2011, 06:04:14 PM
Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 14 August, 2011, 07:30:37 AM

What's your favourite soup?

Mulagatow...? mullagatow...? mulligatowny...?  Chicken.  :D

Stew.

Grimmyx22

Blimey, clicked on here to see if anyone had any intelligent political insight. Shocked by the nature of this thread. Can only give him the benefit of the doubt and imagine were dealing with quite a young mind.

Beaky Smoochies

Or Sc**jo back for another round, uh, on second thoughts, never mind... :-X
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

O Lucky Stevie!

Not this time Beaky. This isn't Scott's posting style nor even choice of username (yes, after a while he becomes that obvious).
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Beaky Smoochies

Phew, good enough then, thanks Stevie and sorry Mr Eliminator for the unintended character assassination, my bad :-[...

JamesC

I don't think the London riots should go into the new Dredd film but stock footage can be used to good effect.
The bit at the beginning of Mad Max 2, which explains the breakdown of society, works really well.
There's even footage of WW2 in Flash Gordon (when they try to erase Zarkov's mind) and I don't think that film upset anybody too much.

My favourite soup is Heinz Cream of Tomato (it's the only soup I ever eat).

Richmond Clements

Well, I'm back in the office today and not only have I not brought a lunch, I appear to have no money with me either. Luckily, I found a chicken cup-a-soup in my bag, so today that is my favourite.

mogzilla

soup is a starter, cup a soup is a crime against humanity .

Richmond Clements

Quote from: mogzilla on 15 August, 2011, 10:00:01 AM
soup is a starter, cup a soup is a crime against humanity .

Not today. Today it is lunch.

mogzilla

i feel for you, i really do ,i on the other hand am going for a huge drippy fried egg butty :P

Richmond Clements

Quote from: mogzilla on 15 August, 2011, 10:04:21 AM
i feel for you, i really do ,i on the other hand am going for a huge drippy fried egg butty :P

Y'know, you can go off a fella..!