Main Menu

Prog 2073 - Future Visions!

Started by Leigh S, 17 March, 2018, 10:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Great comic! Let's kill that notion of a new dark age right here. The prog rocks.

Richard

TordelBack

Very fine comics this week.  In particular, I loved the Platonic Form of a Sinister Dexter story, Weston's extraordinary art on and enjoyable WilliamsDredd , Teague's equally impressive work on James Peaty's debut (?)Future Shock, and a very welcome return for Beeby's version of Anderson, ably rendered by Roach and coloured by no less a luminary than Jose Villarrubia - his first 2000AD credit?   

Not 100% sold on Cornwell's version of Deadworld in Judge Fear: although the art is great, I'm just not sure I like seeing the Kendall designs in another style.  Also not particularly wild about Kenton's design (is Wagner a secret Archers fan?) over in the long-awaited Strontium Dog, and I wish Tharg had managed to jiggle pages around to allow the superb Alex Ronald poster to be backed by some adverts. 

But look, these are the most minor of niggles in a prog that was basically pure thrills front to back.

Aaron A Aardvark

Great Prog this week. I liked ever story even Sinister Dexter. In fact I liked that the most.

Perfect jumping on point.

Magnetica

Quote from: sheridan on 24 March, 2018, 08:34:38 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 18 March, 2018, 04:28:56 PM
That was the best episode of Dredd in a very long time. With art like that Chris Weston has truly reached the same level as Bolland. And I never thought I would say that when reading Killing Time or Canon Fodder.
You didn't like the artwork on either of those strips?
Dan Abnett stretches out one joke to 5 pages in a way only he can on Sinister Dexter. I thought the unusual (for 2000AD) panel layout worked really well.
The thrill-cast goes in to this - trying to pull a Watchmen and giving extra kudos to Dave Gibbons for having managed to maintain it for 12 issues!
Dan Cornwell also shows progression in his art on Judge Fear. I can see shades of  McMahon, Flint, Bolland, Robinson (Cliff not Hilary :lol: ) and Lynch in this. Good story too. Who says there is no mileage left in the DJs?
I think the past year is the best DJ stuff since Necropolis - both the Tales of Deadworld and Judge Fear in 2000AD and Dominion in the Meg.

So wrt to Killing Time and Canon Fodder, no not really. But then again those strips weren't really to my tastes so that could come into it.

Re Watchmen- I didn't know that, so thanks for the heads up; I will check out the Thrillcast.

The Sherman Kid

Cover As others have said -just fantastic, big salute to Greg Staples who never disappoints

Dredd Hooked immediately with this one, tightly written, oozes tension and suitably excellent menacing artwork that draws you in.

Jaegir Always a bit half-in with this series in the past, but this looks different -opens with a bang and running at a good pace so I'll give this another try.

Future Shock Not a bad premise (reminded me of Elysium), but superior art from Dylan Teague raised its game.

Sinister Dexter Will this ever end? To be fair this was a witty episode, (the uniform paneling was an effective internal mirror for the back and forth) -With a whole new universe now to explore though, looks like we're stuck with them for the foreseeable future.

Anderson Liked the introduction of other 'sources' for leads -the augurs, pre-cog kids, and especially the use of Haruspicy. However, there were some jarring moments here that didn't work;Anderson smiling moments after her so-called 'friend' has just died; bad grammar - 'The Psi's who've seen it are being monitored including you....and Heyworth (well Heyworth is dead, so it should have read, 'as was Heyworth'.

Ilsa?? Anderson' Ilsa was judged dangerous and senile. She rarely knew where she was...'
Next panel Anderson 'On her way to the Kook cubes, screaming about a murder when I walked past....'

Walked past where? The kook cubes? Her apartment? Ilsa had been 'judged dangerous' so how could she still be left in the apartment?

Anderson ' She was ninety blocks away, watching it helpless, remote viewing so powerful she only knows its over when she sees her home again. She'd never leave here'.

Hold on a minute. You just said  moments ago 'she rarely knew where she was'????

I think I get where she is going but it read in a jarring and jumbled way- need to be a lot clearer in future.

Judge Fear Interesting, liked it. Seeing more of Deadworld is always a plus.

Strontium Dog Loved it, can only agree with what others have already said. Think I know where it's going -Alpha doesn't want to see Kenton as an SD at all and possibly share his father's fate so will do everything in his power to deter him...we'll see.

Overall -a prog that was worth every penny and more.  :thumbsup:

norton canes

Hang on, hang on. Great prog an' all but... I knew there was something amiss...

I pasted the following list of projected stories for this prog from somewhere or other a few weeks ago:

• Dredd crosses paths once more with the terrifying Judge Pin in 'Fit for Purpose' by Rob Williams and Chris Weston
  • Vampire bounty hunter Durham Red takes on a case to reunite mother and son in 'Born Bad' by Alec Worley and Ben Willsher
  • Nort war-crimes investigator Atalia Jaegir returns to the hellworld that is Nu Earth in 'In the Realm of Pyrrhus' by Gordon Rennie and Simon Coleby
  • Psi-Judge Anderson must face a new threat rising from the Undercity in 'Undertow' by Emma Beeby and David Roach
  • History is being reshaped in 'The New World', the fourth series of the time- and dimension-jumping thriller The Order by Kek-W and John Burns!

What, no The Order? Durham Red?

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

norton canes

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving this current line-up, and I'm happy that the other stories are in the pipeline. I'm just thinking it must have been a late-ish juggling around if the publicity was sent out mentioning them. Happens, I guess.

MacabreMagpie

From what I've heard (from the comic's history, not anything to do with the creators involved) it could be issues with deadlines. I know that the single-issue Sinister Dexter stories are often used to plug those gaps.

broodblik

Quote from: norton canes on 28 March, 2018, 03:30:15 PM
Hang on, hang on. Great prog an' all but... I knew there was something amiss...

I pasted the following list of projected stories for this prog from somewhere or other a few weeks ago:

• Dredd crosses paths once more with the terrifying Judge Pin in 'Fit for Purpose' by Rob Williams and Chris Weston
  • Vampire bounty hunter Durham Red takes on a case to reunite mother and son in 'Born Bad' by Alec Worley and Ben Willsher
  • Nort war-crimes investigator Atalia Jaegir returns to the hellworld that is Nu Earth in 'In the Realm of Pyrrhus' by Gordon Rennie and Simon Coleby
  • Psi-Judge Anderson must face a new threat rising from the Undercity in 'Undertow' by Emma Beeby and David Roach
  • History is being reshaped in 'The New World', the fourth series of the time- and dimension-jumping thriller The Order by Kek-W and John Burns!

What, no The Order? Durham Red?

Here is the link: https://www.newsarama.com/37658-rebellion-march-2018-solicitations.html

I was also looking forward to the new Durham Red strip from Alec Worley
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 28 March, 2018, 06:55:15 PM
From what I've heard (from the comic's history, not anything to do with the creators involved) it could be issues with deadlines. I know that the single-issue Sinister Dexter stories are often used to plug those gaps.

Maybe the creators went to the pub to celebrate a finished episode but left the pages there? ;-)

TordelBack

Single issue SinDex is best SinDex.  Although longer SinDex is more SinDex,  so also welcome.

Alec Worley

Yeah, about Durham... we've had a bit of behind-the-scenes drama on Project Red, resulting in Ben Willsher being (almost literally) stretchered off. He's fine. His drawing hand's fine. Details to follow...

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.