Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Prog / Re: Thrill-Coma 2010
« Last post by Funt Solo on Today at 04:38:37 am »
You're a bit hard on Defoe, Funt!

After I wrote that review, I read the first two episodes of Defoe: The Damned (progs 1836-1837) and it does present him in a far more sympathetic light, with a troubled past of regrets at wrongs committed and a tragic end to a happy family life.
Film & TV / Re: New Dr Who Trailer
« Last post by Funt Solo on Today at 04:24:44 am »
Am I allowed to say I think it looks absolutely cringeworthy?

No.  Wait, yes!  There is of course the potential that it would be more interesting if you added some meat of reason to your potatoes of cringe.  That is: what about the trailer makes you cringe? 

Was it the lens flare?

The quarry?

The goggles?
Megazine / Re: Thrill-Coma 2010: Best of the Meg
« Last post by Funt Solo on Today at 03:36:30 am »
Some of the best of the Meg from my catch-up read...

Snapshot
(2012: megs 322-330)
Script: Andy Diggle
Art: Jock
Letters: Clem Robins

Beautifully set in San Francisco, this is a movie-like action thriller fueled by fast-pacing and dynamic framing.  It's a fish out of water tale, in which a comic shop worker accidentally finds himself embroiled in a deadly game of cat and mouse with a shadowy killer.

Jock's art is superb and the setting well researched - that's definitely San Fran we're seeing - although there's a clear British sensibility sneaking in with references to Axel Pressbutton and Zenith.

The narrative drive is frenetic and the puzzle-pieces come together fast enough to keep our interest without explaining everything.  Ultimately, though, like many movies, this has a tricky third act and at one point it drives off the rails with a metaphysical (and terribly coincidentally located) endless corridor of somehow non-rotten severed body parts.  The end is ultimately ambiguous but getting there is still a wild and worthwhile ride.

Anderson, Psi-Division: Stone Voices
(2012: megs 327-331)
Script: Alan Grant
Art: Boo Cook
Letters: Ellie De Ville

There's often been a sense that Anderson's judgement is flawed: as far back as her accidentally releasing the dark judges by transporting herself to Deadworld (progs 416-427, 1985) without bothering to tell anyone.  The other narrative sometimes explored is that the emotional detriments of the job drive her to seek escape, as in Postcards From the Edge (M2.50-M2.60, 1994). 

This tale brings both those threads to the fore as Anderson (beautifully rendered by Boo Cook) tries to solve a spate of grisly yet mysterious decapitations whilst being hamstrung by an administration that doesn't fully trust her.

Ultimately, Anderson wins out over the immediate threat but the suggestion during the denouement is that she may once again seek to leave the Justice Department.

Hondo City Justice: Revenge of the 47 Ronin
(2013: megs 332-334)
Script: Robbie Morrison
Pencils: Mike Collins
Inks: Cliff Robinson
Colours: Len O'Grady
Letters: Ellie De Ville

Judge Inaba and Cadet Asahara investigate a supernatural threat to Hondo City that begins with a flashback to the ancient legend of the titular 47 ronin.  The flashback sequences are beautifully framed and styled and give a sense of depth to the setting.

In classic runaway zombie style, each person killed by the resurrected ronin rises as a new threat and so the story becomes a race against time to stop them before their numbers grow too large.  The early scenes of peace here foreshadow the later threat:

Ultimately, our heroes prevail, but we end on a cliffhanger that informs us that the ronin's puppet-master has a familial connection to Inaba, and for reasons unknown wishes her demise.
Film & TV / Re: New Rogue Trooper Film!!
« Last post by ABCwarBOT on Today at 02:39:04 am »
Just rewatched Moon again.   Fair play that's a good film and Jones seems to be a big fan of a lot of 60s and 70s sci fi especially British so hopefully it's in good hands.
« Last post by ABCwarBOT on Today at 02:35:19 am »
Am I allowed to say I think it looks absolutely cringeworthy?
« Last post by JOE SOAP on 22 September, 2018, 10:16:02 pm »
I mentioned Cullen to my 12 year-old son by way of a paternal cautionary tale about not listening to unsavoury nutters on You-Tube

The red-headed stepchild of YouTube Ireland.
Prog / Re: Prog 2100 - Anderson's Darkest Hour
« Last post by Colin YNWA on 22 September, 2018, 09:49:47 pm »
Not trying to disrespect the cover image but am I right in thinking that Geroge Perez has has hand/wrist problems since his eighties heyday?

My understanding is he's had eye problems and some other medical things. Certainly I've seen news of him being poorly a couple of times over the last few years. Still I think the cover is fine, even if Mortis looks like an ant head rather than cattle skull... though the look of the dark Judges could well be deliberate to reflect the story!

Anyway to things internal its bloody fine Prog, though like Meg does lack a new strip, a couple of options that practically fill that role do compensate for this.

Dredd - Well its not the nice cosy intro Dredd we sometimes get in these big celebration issues is it. I bloody loved it and Jez Flint is on fire. Have to be honest much prefered this to the Dredd in Meg 400, though that might have been better for new readers?

Brink was absolutely devine. How the hell it managed to be kinda escapes me as on the surface it did nothing special. Generic, almost cliched brutal start to set the stacks and created a horrific atmosphere from the off. This spins into a tough first day at work... well to be fair it manages to make this apparently mundane second scene all the more tense than the opening scene. Its just done so very well and I'm bought in already as I image a new reader would be too.

Skip Tracer could serve as a new thrill as I had to read the summary box to remind myself of its premise even though it only finished its first story a few weeks ago so unengaged was I by that opener. This time to be fair for a new reader this is a fun and thrilling opener and MacNeil is on fire. Just hope it managers to make me care less for the led this time. Nowt so far.

Anderson does a better job than the Meg story in introducing Cass. Shame she kinda had to be rescued by Joe, but it worked as a reflection on her glorious past. I enjoyed this and loved Jake Lynch's art, at times he's O'Neill, at times he's McMahon, he throws some Flint in and does a glorious Bolland pastiche at one point. Most impressively for all that he's always Lynch first and formost.

Sinister Dexter is always a treat and his one is a nice relaxed set up. Gives a nice bit of tone and character for the new reader and love that Ray's still got those Thought Ballons - I wonder where that and the tatoos are going? Oh and another artistic masterclass by the Mighty Yeowell this time. Great if light stuff.

Fiends of the Eastern Front - could also serve the role of new thrill its been so long since last time. A great welcoming opener... well welcoming in the chilly (in both ways), bloody and thrilling way that any reader can embrace. Just great stuff and the art... well the art is just breathe taking. The winter scenes almost literally as they feel so bloody cold!

Finally we get Dabnett number 3. Have to say a particular hats off to Dabnett I mean he has three great thrills in and one in Meg 400. That's almost Wagneresque that is! Anyway...

Kingdom - love this thrill and this opener gives me no reason to doubt I'll love this story. Its very smart in the way it just rattles on for the regular reader yet I suspect gives the new all they'll need to feel fully immersed and engaged. A bit of a masterclass there and Elson's art is so strong in the Gene Hackman powerful way. He packs a punch!

So there we have it barely a missed step and I think most thrills will serve the new reader just as well as this seasoned old grump.

I do have to make special mention of the art here. Its without exception stunning and in some cases much more than that. Just a zarjaz showcase of the depth and variety that Tharg has to offer. I'd be staggered to find a more beautiful comic on the eye this year and without a house style in the ... well house (of Tharg). Quite superb.
« Last post by Funt Solo on 22 September, 2018, 09:12:55 pm »
Of course we've already had the definitive Doctor Who, so why bother making any more?
Prog / Re: Prog 2100 - Anderson's Darkest Hour
« Last post by metcalfecarr on 22 September, 2018, 08:07:21 pm »
My problem with the cover is that the Dark Judges look about as scary as Squirtle and Pikachu especially when you look at Nick Percival's version in the Meg
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
« Last post by Apestrife on 22 September, 2018, 07:51:40 pm »
Seen Kagemusha?
Have the blu-ray! It’s on my list to watch soon, looks qually lush!

It's amazing. Really cool story. A good tragedy. Gonna have to watch it again soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10