Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Other Reviews / Re: The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread
« Last post by TordelBack on 19 August, 2018, 07:23:26 pm »
I've got a guilty soft spot for Purgatory - it is crass, puerile, derivative and unpleasant, but it succeeds in its aims and, like all of Millar's work, tells a story well. (The story may be stupid, or riddled with lapses in logic, but he tells it well.)

Me too. Pure nonsense, but gorgeous to look at, and well, fun - if you can accept the character named 'Grice' (who coincidentally bears a passing resemblance to former Judge Grice), it goes down fairly easy.  Inferno, because it mistreats so many characters and elements, is harder to swallow, despite being equally lovely to look at.
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
« Last post by broodblik on 19 August, 2018, 07:19:51 pm »
Flash Gordon was great. The gold old days when CGI did not exist
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
« Last post by TordelBack on 19 August, 2018, 07:17:01 pm »
Damn hard to beat, that's for sure.  I first saw it on a dodgy projector in a parish hall with almost non-existant sound and I fell completely in love - and I was all ready to hate it because I was a devotee of the Buster Crabbe incarnation, and however curvy his pecs, Sam Jones was no Buster Crabbe.  Everyone else though, even Peter Duncan, just magnificent.  Even thinking about it makes me smile.
Help! / Re: Looking for title of graphic novel 1970/80s
« Last post by sheridan on 19 August, 2018, 07:08:47 pm »
I'm trying to track down the name of a graphic novel from my childhood but unfortunately have few memories of it.

It was a hard back thick book that was published by 2000ad (I think) with a science fiction theme and one particular part I remember is as a punishment a guy was tied to a poll high in the air and creatures were flying round him and they would only attack when he fell asleep.  Not much to go on i know!

2000AD hasn't published any graphic novels, apart from reprints of things that first appeared in the prog (only exception I can think of is Judgement on Gotham, published in concert with DC comics).
Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection
« Last post by Dark Jimbo on 19 August, 2018, 06:56:26 pm »
Besides Hammer of Warlocks, Book X and the Deadlock epilogue, there's...

A Day In The Death Of Torquemada - 2000ad Annual 1984
Torture Tube - Diceman 1
The Garden Of Alien Delights - Diceman 3
Forbidden Planet - 2000ad Sci-Fi Special 1987
Torquemada's Second Honeymoon - 2000ad Annual 1988
Tomb of Torquemada - Nemesis Poster Prog
Warlocks and Wizards - Prog 700
The Enigmass Variations - Progs 723-729
Tubular Hells - Prog 2000

...yet to make an appearance in the Ultimate collection.
Prog / Re: Prog 2095 In the Eyes of the Law
« Last post by Jim_Campbell on 19 August, 2018, 06:45:44 pm »
Also: I enjoyed the hell out of this prog. The current run of stories has been great. The 3riller has probably been the weakest, but even that has had enough about it to keep me reading. Good work by Tharg and the droids.
Prog / Re: Prog 2095 In the Eyes of the Law
« Last post by Jim_Campbell on 19 August, 2018, 06:38:15 pm »
The re-introduction of Armoured Gideon reminded how much I liked Simon Jacobs' art on the original series. Wonder where he is now?

As already mentioned elsewhere, he’s still drawing brilliantly and you can see up-to-date stuff on Simon’s DeviantArt page.
Help! / Looking for title of graphic novel 1970/80s
« Last post by LTP on 19 August, 2018, 06:19:14 pm »
I'm trying to track down the name of a graphic novel from my childhood but unfortunately have few memories of it.

It was a hard back thick book that was published by 2000ad (I think) with a science fiction theme and one particular part I remember is as a punishment a guy was tied to a poll high in the air and creatures were flying round him and they would only attack when he fell asleep.  Not much to go on i know!
Prog / Re: Prog 2094 - The Order Meet The Edge - Walker
« Last post by Frank on 19 August, 2018, 04:38:13 pm »

I like Richardson's art (see lengthy post above). No worries, Trout; I've misconstrued posts here before (and I regret it now).

Other Reviews / Re: The Vigilant
« Last post by Greg M. on 19 August, 2018, 03:14:29 pm »
Read this today. Art's good, script is... well, I can see what Furman was aiming for, but I don't think it quite works. When Marvel and DC do this sort of infinite crisis crossover, they're reliant on pre-existing knowledge of a shared universe - depending on their vintage, the readers might not know all the featured characters, but they know enough of them to be invested in the story. Most of the characters in The Vigilant (or The Forgotten, as Dr Sin seems to think the comic is called) haven't seen print in at least thirty years. They needed to be much fewer in number and much more strongly established within the story itself, rather than just their introductory bio. I could have seen either Blake Edmonds or the Leopard From Lime Street (probably more so the latter) as good focal point characters to give readers an in-roads into events - I feel the story needs more of an anchor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10