Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Off Topic / Re: The Black Dog Thread
« Last post by Proudhuff on 15 January, 2019, 05:57:45 pm »
JBC, hope it all goes your way, CBT does work for some folks and well, other not so good, well worth a try, anything that helps. For me when I went through a dark stage recently, some here will know what I'm on about, Human Givens helped me: I don't agree with some of their claims, but their stuff on dreams and brain activity helped me cower the black dug back into its kennel. 

https://www.hgi.org.uk/resources/delve-our-extensive-library/depression/why-we-dream-forget-i-dont-dream
Film & TV / Re: Current TV Boxset Addiction
« Last post by Mardroid on 15 January, 2019, 05:43:27 pm »
I started Titans last night and watched a few episodes. Yes, very enjoyable, although a bit over-the-top with the violence maybe. Robin's got some major anger management issues, eh?

It kinda works for the dark and edgy world they're portraying, though.

That bird couple were Hawk and Dove, were they? The names are familiar, but I don't know the characters.

After watching the first series of Guardians of Tomorrow very recently, I thought maybe these were another version of Hawkman and Hawgirl, without the Egyptian trappings and, well, proper wings. Hawk and Dove make more sense.

Oh and that spooky girl's other self is actually a bit unsettling! Or I'm just a big girl's blouse.
« Last post by Proudhuff on 15 January, 2019, 05:38:01 pm »
wasn't too sure about Teen Titans, ( or should that be Pai-tans?  :-[), they all look so cherubic in the promo art, meantime for us grumpy old Bar Stewards, The Punisher is back on Friday series II with more dark, existentialist angst and extreme violence https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80117498
« Last post by Dandontdare on 15 January, 2019, 05:28:43 pm »
Blitzed my way through the whole of Titans  at the weekend - really enjoyed it. Very violent but adapts the main storylines of the comics well. Saddled somewhat by the inclusion of two of DC's sillier superheroes, Hawk & Dove, but as long as they don't spend much time in costume, they're not so bad. Glorious cameo from Doom Patrol a few episodes in (I understand they're getting their own spin off). No sign of Cyborg yet, but there's a post-credits teaser after the final ep showing Superboy busting Krypto out of a lab in Metropolis.

The final episode featuring an imaginary scenario of Dick Grayson having to take down an out-of-control Batman was good fun -Badass Bruce!
Prog / Re: Prog 2114 - Tracer Fire!
« Last post by Colin YNWA on 15 January, 2019, 04:49:19 pm »
Disagreeing with me is a healthy and often entirely sensible thing to do!

A Brink vs Lawless fan face off would be a very interesting thing...
Prog / Re: Prog 2114 - Tracer Fire!
« Last post by Magnetica on 15 January, 2019, 03:50:32 pm »
Only one place to start for me this week and that's Brink.. This has been a great series, but this episode goes up a notch. As much as I don't like disagreeing with Colin (part 1):

Back to Brink heavens to Betsy this is superb....Just superb If it wasn't for Lawless this would be the greatest ever...

yes it is is superb and for me it is now edging out Lawless as the best thing from Tharg right now and indeed over the last few years. As to the greatest thing ever....its certainly up there, though whether it takes the crown...well that is a tough call and one that can probably only be made in retrospect.

As much as I don't like disagreeing with Colin (part 2):

Fiends - Aerial bat creature fight. So now all you need to do is ask yourself is that enough for you to know this is GREAT? If not maybe 2000ad ain't for you any more!

For me this has gone off the boil in the last couple of episodes and has not lived up to the promise of the opening episode.

Another thing that took a dip for me this week was the 3riller; it seemed to throw in a load of fairly random ideas at end, many of which felt very familiar from stuff like the Walking Dead. Indeed I am now questioning the whole 3riller concept. A straight up one shot Future Shock seems a better format to me as it forces all the superfluous stuff to be trimmed and ironically many over the years seem to have more fully fleshed out characters than we get in 3rillers. I guess because it is necessary to focus on the core theme and have the characters' actions and dialogue support that.

Dredd wasn't the greatest.It seemed to be done half way through this week's episode but carried on anyway to get to that final scene. I want a bit more than the build up final scene or punch line from my Dredd.

So given all that, second place this week goes to Skip Tracer. Ok its not the most original thing we have seem but its ok, in a sort of mid eighties C list strip kind of way, plus it has art that far exceeds the script.
Film & TV / Re: On telly this week
« Last post by Tiplodocus on 15 January, 2019, 03:12:45 pm »
Who read LES MISERABLES and thought "You know, this would make a CRACKING musical!"?

Handsomely mounted and cast but my it has some clunky dialogue.

It took me ages to clock that Felix from episode 1 was the same bloke from the in-house Cineworld advert. Well done mate, I've seen you twice and wanted to twat you on both occasions.
Books & Comics / Re: Toxic
« Last post by tonyf33 on 15 January, 2019, 01:54:36 pm »
Read the Toxic story in ComicScene - part one here https://issuu.com/comicsflix/docs/comic-scene-issue-0/40
and part two here https://issuu.com/comicsflix/docs/comic_scene_with_slaine_pull_out_is
In Issue 1 you can also read a chapter from Pat Mills book on Slaine.
In Volume 2 Issue 1 of ComicScene, on sale 21st Feb, you can read about Marshal Law and Pat Mills goes into more depth on the character.  You can pre order or subscribe to the magazine at www.comicscene.tictail.com
Megazine / Re: Meg 404 - Crystal Trips & Alien Stare
« Last post by Proudhuff on 15 January, 2019, 01:28:20 pm »
Janelle “Dirty Computer” Monáe block features some “Pete Wells lives” graffiti.

So we know Greggs survives the Apocalypse War then...
Megazine / Re: Meg 404 - Crystal Trips & Alien Stare
« Last post by Proudhuff on 15 January, 2019, 01:25:36 pm »

The Torture Garden is on form as ever, with interesting developments in the story, and of course beautiful art by Nick Percival. Does it finish next issue? Seems like a lot still has to happen before this wraps up.

Thanks - The Torture Garden is 10 parts long, so you're just half way through. More big changes to come (especially at the end of Part 6) - For folks that aren't keen on it - sorry - 5 more months of fun for you!

Proudhuff sobs quietly so the Dark Judges don't hear  :-X
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10