Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Prog / Re: Prog 2103 - Demons of the mind
« Last post by Fungus on 21 October, 2018, 01:25:14 pm »
Can't let the current run go without comment. 2 very good Thrills, and 3 stunning ones. The Carlos tribute gave this prog a bit of an epic feel, too. Well done all  :)
Classifieds / Re: Original Art Clear-out
« Last post by hippynumber1 on 21 October, 2018, 01:24:10 pm »
MacNeil ‘Insurrection’ page has sold.
Other Reviews / Re: The Thirteenth Floor Volume One
« Last post by The Enigmatic Dr X on 21 October, 2018, 10:41:22 am »
Got this to give one of my kids for Christmas
« Last post by Tjm86 on 21 October, 2018, 10:08:42 am »
The Max edition was well worth the splurge and I for one am glad I went with it.  Never read the Scream episodes either so that segment has been a pleasurable new excursion.  Yet to find any fault in the repro but I'm taking my time over this (well, okay, I've also got the latest volume of Inside Moebius on the go as well ...)
Books & Comics / Re: The Daily ZARJAZ!
« Last post by TordelBack on 21 October, 2018, 09:10:12 am »
Love Chris's light,  open art on this. Daily Zarjaz always a treat.
Books & Comics / Re: The Daily ZARJAZ!
« Last post by Bolt-01 on 21 October, 2018, 08:21:31 am »

Continuing the new strip in anticipation of the new Zarjaz & Dogbreath, join us tomorrow for part 05.
Other Reviews / Re: The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread
« Last post by Colin YNWA on 21 October, 2018, 07:46:43 am »
Prog 950 (plus)

So we hit a time of change as the Judge Dredd movie comes out and 2000ad gets the worse logo I think its ever had. A harsh, sharp, yet fussy block at the top of the page. Stuck there like some sort of over designed banner in a pro-Brexit march.

We get 8 extra pages, but nothing of consequence is added and I'm not quite sure where they go. Pictures from the Dredd movie I assume. Though to be fair by next Prog we do get an extra thrill, or at least double Dredd.

The strip content is actually on the up as well if I'm are honest, but after the first half of the year that's no metric to get excited about, its still not great but there are some real positives. We have Wagner on Dredd, by 952 we're only had one really good one in 'Megalot' but that will sort itself soon as I recall. Slaine is a fine replacement for Finn and hasn't yet started stirring down the barrel of plunging down hill... yet... Rogue Trooper grinds on alas and Urban Strike is ... well just plain curious....

I actually enjoy these early Vector 13s too, though they still make clear that the limitations of the format, which will be exposed soon I'm quite sure. At this point however they feel fun and interesting, after all there's only been 2.

Return of Rico by Pat Mill and Paul Johnson is so unnecessary. I mean sure if you'd not read the original its great and Uncle Pat does get a few neat little bits of commentry in there quite well, but beyond that it adds maybe 12 pages to the old classic, yet very little substance. Well aside from the confusion in the timeline of setting it after Cursed Earth for... reasons of adding dinosaurs to it I guess!?!

You can feel the Prog straining under the weight of its own expectations. The paper feels better, there's more of it, everything has a design makeover, though typically of this time of early PCs its all way to busy and fussy. The trouble is the comic doesn't feel significently better. It is better, but the last 6 months have been awful. Tharg has seen the Dredd movie by now, surely he knows he has to do more than this to reap any reward?
« Last post by broodblik on 21 October, 2018, 04:40:33 am »
I was also an Eagle and Scream reader and I will always have fond memories of The 13th Floor. I never read the Scream episodes so I got this immediately when it was released. This was a great treat, with some great art by Ortiz. Nostalgia at its best.
Prog / Re: Prog 2104 - The Watchers in the Walls!
« Last post by Geoff on 20 October, 2018, 11:48:19 pm »
Mmnn I'm not a fan of that cover, I really don't like the way Lynch draws the Lawmaster...

The actual cover looks great without forum-blurTM. I give everyone a break on the lawmaster; like the gun, only the late, great Carlos Ezquerra* could make that original design look really good.

Oh yes, there's a lot about the Dredd strip that must make it difficult and time consuming to draw. The judges uniforms are very intricate, and then there's the bike/s and even the gun! Carlos made it look so easy...
Other Reviews / The Thirteenth Floor Volume One
« Last post by Buttonman on 20 October, 2018, 11:16:02 pm »
I just got the standard edition but what a lovely book with a nice foldout cover and some extras in the shape of some covers and intros from Alan Grant and Ian Rimmer.

The reproduction is mostly great with only a few episodes seeming a bit blotchy.

As an original reader of Scream and Eagle this was a real treat and even though the premise got a bit repetitive they soon branched out and hopefully that will all be seen in Volume 2.

Lovely book and well worth £15 -wish I'd splurged for the Max edition now!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10