Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Other Reviews / Re: Red Fang
« Last post by TordelBack on 17 August, 2018, 05:17:51 pm »
The highlight for me remains the extensive range of polished hardwood textures that Chris Blythe employed, never since equalled (thank Grud!). 

More seriously, Red Fang always seemed like it should work, it just never really did.  An original enough premise (for 2000AD), a intriguingly villainous lead, sharp designs (I can still visualise the characters today, and I'm fairly sure I've not read it in a dozen years)... ah well.
Film & TV / Re: Star Wars Episode IX
« Last post by TordelBack on 17 August, 2018, 05:11:37 pm »
Don't worry your post was better constructed than the script for The Last Jedi  :D

:lol:
Film & TV / Re: Current TV Boxset Addiction
« Last post by TordelBack on 17 August, 2018, 05:06:30 pm »
I wouldn't bet on that, despite the Divine Minchin* being involved. 

Didn't cop that this was a new release of RoS - hopefully they include the DVD commentaries (and extras).  The missus and I both loved that series at the time of broadcast, and we regularly re-watch it the DVDs.  It's sometimes hard to remember, aside from the 6th Doctor, The Tripods and V this was it for broadcast TV SF/fantasy in 1984.

We still play Dragon Warriors with my kids, the British RPG not-remotely-loosely inspired by it (it has an Assassin character class which is basically Nasir, right down to the white-washing and the fact that the example character in the book is called, errr, Nasir) simply because the spooky, grimy atmosphere still works so well.

*Daughter was in cut-down production of his Matilda musical last week, and despite by belted out by 50 Tallaght tweens, it was still lyrically mesmerising.  The man is a bonafide genius. But Friar Tuck...?  I dunno.

Events / Re: ICE BIRMINGHAM 2018 - Official Thread
« Last post by Bolt-01 on 17 August, 2018, 04:47:53 pm »
Ah, this is the weekend micro-bolt goes to University so I'll not be around (gig is the 15th sept)

Shame as it is a good line-up.
Welcome to the board / Re: Reader since prog 7
« Last post by broodblik on 17 August, 2018, 04:36:17 pm »
As for current stories :

The one about the drunk, 80-a-day policeman investigating the paranormal (did he have cancer as well?) - sorry can't remember the title. Amazing art though

The Series is called Absalom, with the many character's name is Harry Absalom. The are is done by Tiernen Trevallion. If you like his art he has a strip that is running in the Judge Dredd Megazine No 398-399 called Strange Brigade.
Creative Common / Re: The Dredd Head drawing thread!
« Last post by Sinx on 17 August, 2018, 04:32:46 pm »
Nice!

"630250 years, creep".
Thanks!

:lol: Unlucky perp double parked and caught Dredd on a bad day
« Last post by broodblik on 17 August, 2018, 04:32:02 pm »
Welcome
General / Re: Space Spinner 2000AD
« Last post by AlexF on 17 August, 2018, 04:31:25 pm »
1984 is a few years before my time as a weekly Prog reader, but I read a fair chunk of these strips in my early days when they turned up in the greatest reprint comic of all time, 'The Best of 2000AD monthly'! I was always curious why they reprinted stuff that seemed quite recent, and almost never included stuff from the first 200 progs - now I know it's because the thrills from 1984 were just better!

Top art: Brett Ewins for Sector House 9
Top story: Wagner & Grant for the Killing
Top overall thrill: Nemesis book IV (and I love the detail that episode 1 of this book was, apparently, originally crafted as the actual episode 1 of the whole Nemesis saga. That's so crazy and weird! It's like he's an alien who looks like the devil dressed as a Victorian gent with a robot valet on a steampunk planet and the villain is a weird tentacly demon ghost I don't even understand but I LOVE IT)
Top month: October - Nemesis begins, but also Rogue reaches a milestone, Ace Garp is a ton of fun, and Dredd kickstarts this long-running saga of doubt, also allowing Rob Smith to draw the single best 'irritating pencil-pusher gets punched in the kisser' panel. Yeah, Brian Bolland, it's better than 'gaze into the fist of Dredd', I said it.
General / Re: Stories that should be collected
« Last post by AlexF on 17 August, 2018, 04:08:47 pm »
I'd be up for a Jim McCarthy based floppy that collected the Grudge Father(s) and Kid Cyborg.
And a Shaky 2000 with the two Soul Gun stories plus as many other oddities as he put out.

Noble failures they may be, but the nobility has to be worth some kind of airing.

Probably not actually better than much of the Treasury that I've never seen before!
« Last post by Sinx on 17 August, 2018, 04:00:13 pm »
As for current stories :

The one about the drunk, 80-a-day policeman investigating the paranormal (did he have cancer as well?) - sorry can't remember the title. Amazing art though
Fall of Deadworld - this was really horrific and sinister which is not easy to achieve in comics

I'm sure there are others but I tend to go on buying sprees to FP in London then miss about 5 issues and have to pick it up during new stories

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10