Main Menu

Re: Prog 1263

Started by Moley, 11 October, 2001, 05:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moley

Couldn't agree more, the artwork in this prog is OUTSTANDING. With recent offerings and more to come from Flint, Walker, Kennedy, Jock, Ezquerra, Burns, Fraser, Harrison, etc, etc in both 2000AD and the Megazine, is the current pool of artistic talent richer than it has ever been?

Also, I seem to remember a message posted a while ago which suggested Siku isn't too popular. Do many people think this? Personally I love his work, especially the gorgeously painted Telguuths that appeared earlier this year.

mark xiii

OK - I waited 'til Wednesday so I dont spoil it for those that dont subscribe, now I gotta say this:

Dredd - OMG! If this continues as good as it started were in for another America! I never thought I'd say this since MacNeil has been my favourite 2Kad artist for years but Irving's art on...

Reefer Madness - Kicked serious arse! Mad zombie types, a rather evil looking Tharg and those colours... oh those colours! Frazer has just knocked MacNeil off the top spot.

Tor Cyan is welcome in the prog at any time and Anderson by Ranson is always a good thing.

But guys... A 2000ad Beanie hat?! Come on, you can do better than that surely?

Mark_xiii - Who wants to buy some Irving originals to go next to MacNeils on his wall.

fraston

: Couldn't agree more, the artwork in this prog is OUTSTANDING. With recent offerings and more to come from Flint, Walker, Kennedy, Jock, Ezquerra, Burns, Fraser, Harrison, etc, etc in both 2000AD and the Megazine, is the current pool of artistic talent richer than it has ever been?

: Also, I seem to remember a message posted a while ago which suggested Siku isn't too popular. Do many people think this? Personally I love his work, especially the gorgeously painted Telguuths that appeared earlier this year.

i agree. i lOVE sikus painted art and it's a shame that he's using photoshop now as well as the rest of us. some of us (me) only use the computer cos we can't paint. but our lad sikus a demon with the old acrylics....

Frazer

Matt

Wagner achieves in one episode of Dredd what Garth Ennis couldn't manage in 12 - Plot, Tension, Atmosphere & Forboding. This looks like it's shaping up to be every bit as good as America, Mechanismo & The Pit. Can't wait to see how it shapes up. Hey, hasn't Hersey recovered from her recent crucifixation quite quickly!

Love Colin Wilson on Tor Cyan, although I sometimes find that John Tomlinsons scripts are a bit disjointed. One minute Tor's swimming into a volcanic vent about to boil himself to death & then in the blink of an eye he's back on the surface & it's all over. How did that happen then? Am I not reading this right? What was the purpose of this episode?

And where is Scojo? The message board is a lot quieter recently. Did all you guys get kidnapped by the Dictators of Zragg at DreddCon 2? C'mon post.

mark xiii

OK - Gonna put my 20p's worth in.

I totally agree with Fraze regarding Siku and Photoshop. Siku's fully painted stuff has such energy and the primary colours he uses just leap off the page and demand your attention. IMHO comp-colour doesnt do his style justice.

Techno-paint is excellent in the right place - Reefer Madness for example - but I think some artists should stick to 'real' colour.

I pray that MacNeil never 'does a Siku' and puts his brushes / pencils / airbrush away in a drawer.

GordonR

: Couldn't agree more, the artwork in this prog is OUTSTANDING.

Are you sure? Take a look at Anderson and Tor Cyan.

Arthur Ranson is up to his lazy old lightbox tricks again, and Colin Wilson seems to have phoned in some of those pages in Tor Cyan.

But, yes, the rest was pretty good, and Siku's stuff has improved immeasurably.

Leigh S

First of all, the new board scares me!  Not sure I like the lay out and the messages seems to be cut off after the first line - here goes nothing....

I have to say i hate Siku's art, but it has not always been that way.  Back when he did the fully painted stuff I thought he did a fair old job.  However, the black and white art has really shown up the short comings in his art: design, anatomy and panel layout are all fairly suspect.

The scorpions look pathetic, more like giant maggots - try to imagine them running as fast as a horse on those stumpy legs - its a hilarious image.

The panel with the ruins falling on one of the raiders is poorly designed as well - you don't get the sense that that is a real building falling - it looks like something made of lego.  

I can't really see how this artwork is an improvement on Fetish, where he seemed to be taking a lot longer - this new stuff just feels rushed.

Wake

The cutoff message were multi paragraph ones I pasted from the old board...I think I've sorted them out.

Test new paragraph!

The layout can be changed if it doesn't work...for example at the moment the most recent messages are at the bottom of the page. I can easily reverse this...but that would make replies appear before the originals. I could do something about this but it might slow down the page a bit. The problem with the old board was that all the message title were just stored on a web page, but this one puts them in a database.

Wake

Something Fishy

Got to agree.  It is a cracking prog.

I have only recently returned to 2000AD and am pleased to see it has grown up more than i have in the last 10 years.  Powerful stuff.

Dominic O'Rourke

I have to say that Siku, does nothing for me, I cant see any improvement in the years since he was in the meg (93/94?)and my major problem with Siku (and mrs siku, is she still working?) is his choice of subject to paint/draw, I'm no fan of Tales of teletubbies or whatever, or whitchworld, or the Sinister Dexter in general,or the devlin waugh/dredd stuff from the meg, however I do like my fantasy stories, but tales is such a poor clone of fantasy that it iratates me. I would suggest that rebellion try real hard for a TSR licence or sublimeist of all grab the rights to LOTR for a weekly orc fest! I imagine Sikus work on these to be more than suitible
Member No. 10

Judge Whitey

someone with similar sentiments to me.  What was that Tor Cyan episode all about!
This and recent Tor cyan episodes have left me feeling that I have missed the plot somewhere.  Even on re-reading them I'm still left filling in the blanks.  Some extra panels in the stories wouldn't go amiss.
I think John Tomlinson should take some lessons from John Wagner.

The Love Doctor

Siku used to be one of favourite artists, even if he did draw Dredd as a chin in a helmet. His work on pan-african judges was inspired. Can't say i've seen his recent stuff, but more of the same will keep me appeased. Uhk, what a horrible word.

Ciao, Earthlets.