Main Menu

People who don't like Star Wars

Started by Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK, 20 May, 2017, 02:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 21 May, 2017, 02:05:53 AMI'm not influenced at all by my favourite TIE being the Interceptor!

Coming your way soon in The Last Jedi, by all accounts.

Smith

Like somebody said,probably better for my blood pressure if I keep out,but anyhow...Its just amazing how some people can be childish.Whenever the reboot is mentioned,you get the same response that it had to happen because it all sucked.Or it was never canon.Same stupid justifications every time.
Personally,give me Legacy(and Dark Horse in general) over TFA and Marvels crap any day of the week.
Some Disney CEO was bragging that they will be putting out 1 or 2 movie per year for the next century;so this shit train has no breaks.

Professor Bear

Thesis: Star Wars Rebels is 80% shite.
Hard to argue with basically everything he says there, but I would take issue with constantly bringing it back to comparisons with Clone Wars, as despite some notable highs that show was wildly inconsistent.

CalHab

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 May, 2017, 08:18:11 PM
That's why I believe the Prequels were feeding all his and his company's needs of the time. Lucasfilm and Star Wars are inextricably bound – one has fed the other since their inception. It was Lucasfilm's fledgling R&D which allowed Star Wars to break ground; the success of which in turn funded the R&D for the digital FX, sound and video editing that emerged post-ROTJ (while also serving as the original home of PIXAR).

Jurassic Park and the Special Editions then gave Lucasfilm the boost in cash-confidence to dive into the Prequels while also giving Lucas an outlet for the type of film-making he was interested in – now free of the constraints he believes prevented him from making Star Wars the way he wanted.

Probably not relevant, but I seem to remember reading that Lucasfilm was involved in the special effects for Star Trek:TNG. Star Trek got a knock-down rate for keeping Lucasfilm busy between films/contracts.

JamesC

I find Rebels really difficult to watch because of the ugly design and awful animation.
The animators are scared to have anyone stand still - whenever someone speaks their whole body bobs up and down and they sway around, gesticulate and make lots of facial expressions. I find it really off-putting.

I know this sounds like a silly criticism but it genuinely spoils the show for me.

Smith

Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 August, 2017, 12:53:21 AM
Thesis: Star Wars Rebels is 80% shite.
Hard to argue with basically everything he says there, but I would take issue with constantly bringing it back to comparisons with Clone Wars, as despite some notable highs that show was wildly inconsistent.
It does raise some good points.

Mardroid

I REALLY like Rebels, although I've only seen the first two series so far.

TordelBack

And there was me enjoying it as an engaging all-ages adventure about the survivors of the Clone Wars and the early years of the Rebellion made by a gang who clearly love what they do. What a fool! I shall commence despising it forthwith.

Professor Bear

I think his contention was that the show isn't all-ages but child-oriented and tonally inconsistent - which is why I thought his constantly harking back to Clone Wars for his rebuttals was a mistake.

Quote from: JamesC on 02 August, 2017, 09:16:06 AMI find Rebels really difficult to watch because of the ugly design and awful animation.

I watched Clone Wars almost entirely in the gym, while the Space Witch stuff made me call it a day with the show and I missed a lot of the later seasons, but revisiting it now on a proper human-sized tv screen, some of the visuals they achieved were incredible.  I've seen theatrically-released movies that weren't half as good-looking as season 6 episodes.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 August, 2017, 06:02:24 PM
And there was me enjoying it as an engaging all-ages adventure about the survivors of the Clone Wars and the early years of the Rebellion made by a gang who clearly love what they do. What a fool! I shall commence despising it forthwith.

I've experienced more Star Wars nerd-joy over the better episodes of Clone Wars and most of three seasons of Rebels than anything that's been on in the cinema in a couple of decades. That's not to say I didn't like TFA, and I really liked Rogue One, but the latter, in particular, pressed different buttons. Rebels has made me feel like I've been watching those Marvel UK Star Wars reprint titles between Empire and Jedi come to life -- that's been the very specific fanboy button that's been un-pressed for a lot of years.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 02 August, 2017, 04:02:49 PM
I love Rebels too - one of the best pieces of Star Wars story to come out for many years.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 August, 2017, 06:15:37 PM
I've seen theatrically-released movies that weren't half as good-looking as season 6 episodes.

A lot of unused McQuarrie paintings were pressed into service for the animated series, as I understand...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Pete Wells

Yeah, the whole Wells family are Rebels fans where as pretty much only I like the movies. It must be doing something right.

I don't get the criticism for Lucas or Disney for wanting to make money from mechanise. I get an awful, awful lot of pleasure from my (ahem) action figures and am very, very pleased that they were, and continue, to be made. I can't remember Mickey Mouse or George Lucas holding a gun to my head and forcing (no pun intended) me to buy them.

What I really liked about the original Star Wars was the richness of it; Tuskan Raiders, the aliens in the cantina, Spice Mines of Kessel, Clone Wars? They blew my young mind and made the galaxy far, far away vast, mysterious and believable. These days, almost everything that is mentioned/introduced has half the Internet moaning that 'it's only there to sell toys.' Toys they wouldn't buy in the first place. I'm a bit bored of hearing that now.

I'm thrilled that Disney bought the franchise and am delighted that forty years on there are Star Wars films and TV series' in development and being made. I'll admit that TFA was a disappointment for me, but it has me intrigued enough about the new characters to care. Rogue One continues to blow my socks off and I have faith in Ryan Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy to shake things up a bit for The Last Jedi. I'd much rather have these films than not, and if I can buy a fucking cool replica spaceship to go with it, then that's even better.

Sadly, Star Wars is a funny old thing which attracts insane amounts of criticism. There are loads of popular movies and TV programmes I don't watch or enjoy but I don't get the urge to slag them off at every opportunity. I'm very, very happy to let those that do enjoy them to, y'know, enjoy 'em. They don't need me prattling on about whatever screwdriver/sword/wand someone dares to release to enhance their enjoyment.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mardroid on 02 August, 2017, 04:02:49 PM

My kids (5 and 8) love it, mind they love any old Star Wars tat, even Phantom Menace, a matter I entirely blame myself for. My son even choose to by a 'lego' Jar Jar today at a stall in Sheffield today (he was literally sick not too long after, if I wasn't an entirely doting father I'd call that karma... or was it that I was elbow deep in vomit... which might be my karma... I'm getting off track here aren't I). I keep meaning to watch it properly as the bits I seen look great.

Whether I do like it or not seems entirely academic of course as my kids, its target audience love it. Job done Star Wars Rebels then (and the poo Star Wars films too alas!)