Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

maryanddavid

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Thanks everyone

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 09 May, 2013, 05:40:50 PM
Quote from: El Pops on 09 May, 2013, 05:06:15 PM..........and maintaining the pneumatics at a robotic Dinosaur exhibit.

That sounds awesome! Oh, and congrats on the job. :-)

It was awesome, best job I ever had
You may quote me on that.

staticgirl

Link Prime

Congrats on the job Pops.
If I walk into your bar with a Don Draper swagger and order an 'old fashioned' just do your damn job and don't burst out laughing alright?

maryanddavid

Bonfire night tonight here in this corner of the Emerald Isle. We had it early enough to avoid the midges, nice breeze clear blue sky, Dairy Milk and Tayto, and a huge blaze, what more could Kids want!
They had to be showered before bed, they looked like they spent their day as victorian chimney sweeps!

TordelBack

Ach David, you're making me miss my summers in the west with that John's Night bonfire - good on you!  You were lucky with the weather, given how grotty the rest of the weekend was.

Something Fishy

a bonfire around longest day?

Do you have fireworks ?  can you see them properly?

TordelBack

A boozy evening in the pub with some old mates tonight, the first I've had since... I don't know, last June?  I'm 20 euro lighter for the privilege (or rather the missus is - living embodiment of Izzy Skint here), but money well spent.  Always nice to affirm that the people you loved when you were an idiot are still lovable now you're an asshole.

ChickenStu

Pleased with the weight I'm losing at the gym.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

Ancient Otter

Quote from: maryanddavid on 24 June, 2013, 12:48:58 AM
Bonfire night tonight here in this corner of the Emerald Isle.

I've never heard of that tradition down here in Kerry & Limerick, is this a big Connacht thing?

maryanddavid

Its in Mayo, Galway and Sligo, not sure of other places.
Most people out in the country would have their own, and towns an villages would have one with some form of party night to go along with it.
There is a lot of 'Pishroge's' or superstitions associated with it, cattle would be driven through the embers for good health. That may be to do with the fact years ago cattle may not be housed for the winter or for only a short time, and were prone to getting hoof rot, this was a way of sealing the hoof to stop that.
Another was that if a child wasn't walking on it own, if the child was held by the hand and walked around clockwise or anticlockwise for a certain amount of times (I must clarify that with my mother) the child would walk within the week.
There is also one about Iron in the fire and Faries, again, Ill have to ask about the one.

When I was a kid the best fire was the one with the blackest smoke, and that came from the amount of tyres that you had in it. Country fires were always the blackest, tractor tyres! Enviormental concerns not high on the agenda then! Now its mostly pallets or brushwood like whin's or sally's that are collected by kids for the weeks leading up to it.

Hawkmumbler

Big Finish has commisioned a trilogy of The Avengers audio dramas. John Steed is back baby.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: maryanddavid on 26 June, 2013, 11:33:08 PMWhen I was a kid the best fire was the one with the blackest smoke, and that came from the amount of tyres that you had in it. Country fires were always the blackest, tractor tyres! Enviormental concerns not high on the agenda then! Now its mostly pallets or brushwood like whin's or sally's that are collected by kids for the weeks leading up to it.

Mayday is the local one in Limerick & Clare, I lived in County Kerry I could see the plumes of smoke across the water in County Clare.

TordelBack

Went to the young fella's Yellow Belt kempo karate grading on Monday.  It's an after-school thing deep in the bowels of the school so I hadn't got in to see them in action before, and as it's the first year of the group they don't have any kit yet, so I suppose I haven't been taking it too seriously (he did a few sessions of kung fu last year, and it just looked like kids running around kicking and doing stretching exercises, so I imagined something similar).

Holy crap, it was awesome.  I don't think I'd have made it through the warm-up, never mind the memorised solo routines, and forget about the bouts.  These are fairly little kids, my own being the youngest at just turned 7, but they were as synchronised and co-ordinated and focused as anything I've seen.  Almost scary, in a Hitler Youth film way. Well impressed though - we'll be supporting pushing on with this, I think. 

Add to that passing his swimming Grade 6 the previous week and getting an okay report card ('fun-loving and bubbly' is a good thing, right?) and I may have to go easy on him for a bit.