Started by paulvonscott, 07 May, 2005, 05:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byron Virgo

"I feel like the opposite of King Midas."

He's King Midas in reverse,
He's King Midas with a curse.

[With apologies to The Hollies. And Pete Nash.]

paulvonscott

Heh - Everything he touches turns to shit.

Again, I'm just joking, nothing meant by it.

I dunno Oddboy, refund comment sounded okay to me.

Byron Virgo

Still sad that a new British comic's bitten the dust (though you can't help but think that it might have done with a bit more market research - a sports comic in this day and age seems somewhat anachranistic). Also, I think it did come in for pretty unfair and fairly sustained attacks from a large amount of people - it might not be most people on this board's cup of tea, but then I suppose we weren't the readers they were targetting.

Still, I have to say that had I known they were reprinting Billy's Boots I might have been sorely tempted to start picking up a copy. Don't suppose there's a chance of Starscape picking it up, do you?

petemaskreplica

"a sports comic in this day and age seems somewhat anachranistic"

Unlike, say, a sci-fi comic called 2000ad being published in the year 2005? ;)

Surely the fact that you'd have given it a look if you'd known Billy's Boots was in there suggests that it failed not because of the subject matter, but more prosaically because it a)had no money and b) wasn't very good?

Mind you, not being very good wasn't enough to kill 2K in the 90s, so who can say?

Roger Godpleton

If Striker had been a children's comic, I wouldn't of had any problems with it, but the level of sex, swearing and violence must have put off a lot of parents (Not to mention adult readers who were nervous about buying a comic with computer generated centerfolds).
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

starscape

Still, I have to say that had I known they were reprinting Billy's Boots I might have been sorely tempted to start picking up a copy. Don't suppose there's a chance of Starscape picking it up, do you?

Nah. Was pretty confident of getting Doomlord though until yer man announced it.  Might be some developments on a classic strip after Bristol.

As for Striker.  It seems to have sold quite well to me - often more than 2000AD, so there must be something wrong with the accountancy.  In the end, it held no interest for me as I love football but have no interest in footballers.  Still, it lasted pretty well and I hope it doesn't put Pete Nash off.  Think a monthly would be a goer.

Lobo Baggins

It seems to have sold quite well to me - often more than 2000AD, so there must be something wrong with the accountancy.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I suspect that they were being very badly advised somewhere along the line.  It looks like they've tried to solve problems by throwing money at them, particularly:

We increased the print run and printed posters for newsagents as part of a drive to increase availability - but still people complained they couldn't see it in the shops

They were selling less, so they increased the print run? Is that right...? Sounds more like a distribution problem to me.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.