Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Smith on 05 February, 2019, 05:53:40 PM
Okay,Im not a complete newbie,its more like I forgot how this works...and Im just coming off from Pillars of Eternity which uses a different system...
Yeah,Thac0 was stupid,Im saying it.

A chorus of Baldur's Gate Graduates agree. Goodbye 2E.

Smith

Funny,but people forget how tongue in cheek Baldurs gate was.It was more of a tabletop simulator then an rpg.As in you could imagine a few neckbeards rolling dices and cracking wise somewhere behind the game.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Is anyone playing Slay the Spire?

It manages to be both difficult and addictive. I can't decide which one it excels at more.

Lets just say its addifficultive.
You may quote me on that.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Speaking of Baldur's Gate, that's coming to consoles soon I hear! I assume its a port of that enhanced edition on PC. A bunch of others too, including Planescape: Torment. Always wanted to give that a go, I got it for my ex-girlfriend many years ago and she loved it.

I'm halfway through Quake II on N64, really enjoying it! I played Quake back in the day but I never got round to the second one. I love all the modern trappings of current games, but sometimes I just want to pick up keys and vent guns without much thought. I don't even have to think about reloading weapons! I wish there were more modern games using the old id FPS formula, maybe there are some indie efforts I'm missing. John Romero's Sigil will provide more Doom when that comes out but it'd be nice to see some new IP in the genre.

The control setup I've got is interesting, I'm using my right hand on the middle prong to control the stick to aim and trigger to shoot, and my left hand on the left prong to use the dpad to move forward, back and strafe and my left index finger on the left shoulder button to jump. Quake-guy pushes switches etc just by coming into contact so the only odd thing I have to do is changing weapons (pressing the A and B buttons, by swinging over my right thumb), but my bisected queen facehugger hands make that pretty easy.

So ultimately it feels almost modern, moving with the left and aiming and shooting with the right. I've never, ever held an N64 pad like this and now I'm wondering whether more FPS games support it!

Also shout-out to San Francisco Rush on the N64, a deeply flawed, utterly broken game that I have to force friends to play with me because I inexplicably love it.

Theblazeuk

Apex Legends - fun, even if I haven't managed to kill anyone in the 2 games I played today. Probably a good job there's no voice yet (not really needed thanks to their 'ping' bit which reminds me of a souped up BF2 spotter system) as people I play with would just be screaming at me, I'm sure. May it be silent forever, always discord or teamspeak if you actually want to talk to people

shaolin_monkey

Rick and Morty VR - meh. Thought I was getting a steal for £12 on PSN Store, but it's probably the weakest VR experience so far.  The story or comedy or whatever is really slowed down by the menial tasks set by Rick, and the VR space isn't well thought out. Despite clearing a wide area to play in the game still sent me bumping into shelves and couches etc. Not one for fans of VR, or Rick and Morty.

Theblazeuk

No one wins Roy monkey, but you *burp* lost if anyone ever did.

NapalmKev

There is free DLC available for the mighty Resident Evil 2. Three new story missions featuring NPC's from the game.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Theblazeuk

Did them all on Training Mode yesterday, turns out I was just dying a few steps away from the end with each of them. But without all those bullets and health no way I could get through that last bit...

Still not done Hunk's mission, Mr X gets me.

Keef Monkey

Yeah I've not tried a load of times, but haven't managed to beat the Hunk level either. I gather the best approach is basically to sprint it and hope you can avoid as much as possible (with the occasional pause to stun a zombie with a legshot or something). I haven't found a way to avoid being hit by Mr X at least once when he appears though, and I've not been lucky enough to scrape through to the exit yet. I've gotten annoyingly close though!

Is the new Survivors DLC a similar set-up? Just a mad challenge-mode style dash to the finish?

Theblazeuk

Yes, but with new enemies, item pickups and other little twists. The white zombies are something that would have been properly terrifying in the main game.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Yeah definitely don't try to fight everything, it's encouraging you to duck and weave past the enemies as much as possible. Which is something I love about Resi, how when you first play you're hording ammo like a nutter and trying your best to exterminate every last thing to alleviate the tension. Then as you learn the maps and gameplay and start trying to get the unlocks, you grow in confidence and end up YOLOing past everything you can. It's the endgame I'd say, in a game designed to be played multiple times, and the ramp to it is great. Then a mode like the 4th survivor is like a gauntlet for those skills.

I actually got hit twice by Mr. X on the successful run, both times were when he first appears, one after the other making me use a precious health item. I got stuck on something trying to run round him, I bet you can though. I'd definitely save a flashbang for the second time he appears in front of you (on the stairs) because between him and all the zombies there it's pretty tasty and you can stun them all in one go.

Keef Monkey

There is a great sweaty-palmed thrill to every attempt and no mistake! He doesn't always appear on the stairs for me, only on some attempts. I've wondered if perhaps it depends how far ahead of him you get by that point - if he's lagging behind too much then it maybe warps him onto the stairs. That stairway is a real squeaky moment so the flashbang idea is a good one, will be trying that.

The part that's screwed me the most times is when you head out onto the roof because that little balcony is pretty busy and if the big blob beast thingy (I'm bad with names) is in the way of the ladder and Mr X is behind me then I tend to get destroyed.

I did manage to get outside the station with the final gate in sight yesterday but had no melee items left and that last stretch is MOBBED with enemies! Got munched, then quit out to avoid frustration. One day I'll get it!

Theblazeuk

I reckon you need a 'nade to get through that last bit, flash or otherwise.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Right, that makes sense. I did wonder what would happen if you led his first incarnation over to the stairs, would there be two of them?? :D There is a glitch where that happens in the campaign, posted on youtube. Terrifying, imagine hearing 2 sets of stomping footsteps coming at you from different sides.

Ah yeah the blob on the balcony (sounds like an alien love story). Think they're called G adults in the lore. They're basically teratomas aren't they, disgusting. I must've got lucky on my runs though as he was never blocking the ladder completely, I always managed to get down it. I think you can go both ways round him too, so maybe one is more reliable?

The end is so intense! That first corner mainly, it's like piccadilly circus. Grenade's a must there, although I'd run out when I did it and got lucky that only zombies grabbed me (not the one hit kill plants, or the blob, or Mr X who's probably catching up by now) as I barged through the melee. Phew. Then it's strategic shotgun headshots to the exit!