Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davethomson

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 06 May, 2010, 12:13:24 PM
Well, it wasn't a wasted journey. You got yourself some smokes, after all! :)

Very true, I think all the polling stations in Scotland are located next to places to which sell booze and smokes. We need the encouragement, us Scots.
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

Colin MacNeil

Quote from: davethomson on 06 May, 2010, 12:33:10 PM
Quote from: HOO-HAA on 06 May, 2010, 12:13:24 PM
Well, it wasn't a wasted journey. You got yourself some smokes, after all! :)

Very true, I think all the polling stations in Scotland are located next to places to which sell booze and smokes. We need the encouragement, us Scots.

I voted, I bought tobacco but I also bought tomato and onion bajis. See, not all scots are the same. :D
Tomato and onion baji slathered in sweet chilli sauce on a wholemeal seeded ciabatta goes very well with banana milk.

Al_Ewing

I voted and on the way back I got some Pickled Onion Space Raiders.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

The Legendary Shark

I voted and on the way back somebody stole my country.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Al_Ewing

The theft won't happen until tonight. Expect some high drama tonight and tomorrow, though - Florida-style dirty tricks a-go-go.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

James Stacey

More importantly ... you can still get Space Raiders ??  :o

Lady Festina

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 06 May, 2010, 11:34:55 AM
Tomorrow we can begin planning the revolution.

http://uk.autoblog.com/2010/05/05/elderly-campaigner-causes-4-mile-tailbacks-with-traffic-light-pr/

Come the revolution, I want this guy to be involved....

Quote from: Al_Ewing on 06 May, 2010, 02:17:38 PM
I voted and on the way back I got some Pickled Onion Space Raiders.

I am extremely concerned about the health and wellbeing of many contributors to this forum. I call for a Nanny State to protect you all from yourselves. Maybe this kind of Nanny....

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 06 May, 2010, 02:19:15 AM

The Legendary Shark

Excellent idea to use pedestrian crossings to stop traffic. Imagine thousands of people all across the country doing that on the same day. I'll add that to the rolling strikes and boycotts on the day we rebel... Brilliant!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

nev

Quote from: James S on 06 May, 2010, 02:28:20 PM
More importantly ... you can still get Space Raiders ??  :o
Recessions hit hard though, think it's up to 15p a pack now.

Lady Festina

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 06 May, 2010, 02:47:19 PM
Excellent idea to use pedestrian crossings to stop traffic.

Hoist 'em on their own petards, that's what I say... (Note to self: find out what the fk a petard is)...

Am enjoying the Minute by Minute coverage on the Guardian website, mainly because nothing's happening. Love the following image though:

http://is.gd/bWKXh

The Legendary Shark

A petard, iIrc, is a kind of old-fashioned hand grenade. It had a rather twitchy fuse and used to go off unexpectedly before even being thrown, flinging the unfortunate grenade-tosser into the air. Hence the phrase, hoist by his own petard. I guess if that happened these days we'd call it being petarded.

*edit* not a hand grenade, but a bomb used to blow holes in the walls/doors of besieged cities or buildings.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Christov

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 06 May, 2010, 01:58:58 AM
I dont understand point A.What does "cockblocking" mean ?

I also already know and understand why we didnt get a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.

B:The media can lean on whoever is in power to give us a referendum as much as they like but that doesnt have anything to do with the electorate being given one.All they can do is promote or propagandise the issue for or against it.

C:I am not acting like anything.All i do is point out facts so if politicians want to start acting like they are a force for good then i will shut up and be out of a job and then perhaps i cant start paying attention to other things instead.

Basically, Lab/Con/Lib/Whoever 'cockblocks' (not a real political term mind you, would be nice if it was) something in parliament by teaming up to stop a proposed item going through. Lab didn't offer a referendum on Lisbon, Cons attacked them (but then didn't offer a referendum themselves, and the LibDems said an issue like this didn't call for a referendum and called for a poll to see if we should stay in or leave the EU instead, so in this case no parties outright called for a referendum, but at least the LibDems offered something, which is the point I'm trying to argue.

B: Believe me; enough leaning will get the people what they want. Sadly, this has been abused by the Daily Mail brigade who simply exist to complain about things.

C: Sorry mate, but you come off as a bit 'tinfoil hat' sometimes, but not without reason mind you. Politics is a bloody murky business.

The Legendary Shark

So, a cockblocking is like a gangbang where the electorate gets shafted by all the parties?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Richmond Clements

QuoteBasically, Lab/Con/Lib/Whoever 'cockblocks' (not a real political term mind you, would be nice if it was) something in parliament by teaming up to stop a proposed item going through.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filibuster

Peter Wolf

Get a load of this as you will like it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctorow/4581218328/

I feel like i want to laugh and get angry at once.

[/quote]

Basically, Lab/Con/Lib/Whoever 'cockblocks' (not a real political term mind you, would be nice if it was) something in parliament by teaming up to stop a proposed item going through. Lab didn't offer a referendum on Lisbon, Cons attacked them (but then didn't offer a referendum themselves, and the LibDems said an issue like this didn't call for a referendum and called for a poll to see if we should stay in or leave the EU instead, so in this case no parties outright called for a referendum, but at least the LibDems offered something, which is the point I'm trying to argue.

B: Believe me; enough leaning will get the people what they want. Sadly, this has been abused by the Daily Mail brigade who simply exist to complain about things.

C: Sorry mate, but you come off as a bit 'tinfoil hat' sometimes, but not without reason mind you. Politics is a bloody murky business.
[/quote]

A:No wonder i didnt recognise the term Cockblocking as it isnt a political term.

Labour broke a specific election promise to offer a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.Conservatives/David Cameron made a lot of noise about offering a referendum on it while in opposition but as the election got closer and closer they flip flopped on it so no referendum from them now.You can read their election manifesto on europe yourself.They werent at any time able to offer a referendum while they were in opposition.

There is a big difference between an opinion poll and a referendum regarding the LibDems and the LibDems did previously support the idea of a LT referendum but again they flip flopped as well at the beginning of 2009.

B:I will believe it when it happens and NOT until because i have as little faith in the corporate media as i have with the LibLabCon.The corporate media havent exactly made much noise or leaned on politicians very much over the Lisbon Treaty so far and dont reflect the views of the public .

C:Its not like i sit here and make stuff up and its a question of how educated or wordly you are as to how much of a tin foil hatter i am .
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death