Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Lockout is great, but I'm making a differentiation between "Die Hard in a Spaceship" and "Die Hard in a Space Station" because I'm ridiculous about these things. Meanwhile I'd say Escape from New York is it's own "Die Hard in a City" kind of thing. I'm also super stoked for Harry 20, as a similarly 11-year-old Conrad saw Fortress, and I've been obsessed with future prisons ever since!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

I'm pretty sure the guests ARE in teh pies, and a jumpy editorial or management dictat led to that rather fumbled "fed to the Krokilla" edit after teh completed artwork was in - From memory, Slade's horrified face always seemed to suggest so, I thought? Wonder if Thrill Power Overload mentions anything?

EDIT: Yep, TPO confirms this (pages 88/89 of the original edition) was a veto from above - Slade is a cannibal!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Leigh S on 29 January, 2018, 09:06:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the guests ARE in teh pies, and a jumpy editorial or management dictat led to that rather fumbled "fed to the Krokilla" edit after teh completed artwork was in - From memory, Slade's horrified face always seemed to suggest so, I thought? Wonder if Thrill Power Overload mentions anything?

Yeah I always thought this and the end was fumbled as editorial (or higher) lost their nerve... to be fair for good reason I guess. I mean hvaing your hero enjoy cannibalism is a bit much even for 2000ad... but my the very strong suggestion is glorious!

Leigh S

Alan gRant: "Throughout the story we had Sam commenting on the pies at Blackheart Manor, how good they were.  He kept walking off frame to get another pie.  The last episode was going to reveal, as Sam bites into another pie, that that's where teh dead bodies had gone. But we wern't allowed to do that."

I'm pretty sure even as a kid I suspected they were being editorialised!

Steve Green

They had those complaint(s) about the guy being eaten in Strontium Dog.

Possibly might have been a reaction to that.

Leigh S

SpaceSpinner2000

I mean, after being responsible for the deaths of thousands during the Verdus storyline some inadvertent cannibalism isn't all THAT bad!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Eamonn Clarke

Hah. Nice to hear Fox getting the British pop culture reference in this episode (Bedknobs and Broomsticks).
:D

AlexF

I don't think I ever noticed the editorializing  -I've always thought it was just transparently the case that the Blackheart pies had people in. Try harder, 1982 Steve McManus!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling eighty-second episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 267-270 of 2000 AD, covering June of 1982. Join us as  Ace trucking starts the Joobaloo, Mean Arena starts a new game, Sam Slade starts a new case, Rogue Trooper stats out along the Dix-I front, and Judge Dredd ends the Apocalypse War!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

WhizzBang

Thanks guys - great listening as usual.

So where did Russian Roulette come from? Wikipedia hints it might not come from Russia but states the first description of it was written by a Russian author. Being Russian though, he didn't call it 'Russian Roulette'.

Weetabix is okay - it is better than Shredded Wheat. The skinhead campaign running in comics at this time was fairly memorable and is still brought up by nostalgia comedians. You can buy it here in Sweden so it may be a European thing rather than a British thing.

The Executioner and Destiny's Angels and I am expecting cheers when Walter gets his.

SpaceSpinner2000

The Russian Roulette thing is me making a reference to one of my favorite podcasts, "I Don't Even Own a Television" which is about bad books. On that show they play a game where they flip to a random page of the book they're looking at and read from that page. It starts with a song that goes:
Russian Roulette!
Russian Roulette!
Not actually Russian!
Which I think is pretty fun, and so I make a reference to it whenever it comes up. I'm now starting to realize that this probably doesn't make a ton of sense without that context, and for that I apologize!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling eighty-third  episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest comic with the 1982 Judge Dredd Annual (Annuals are dated by the following year). This is the third Dredd Annual, and just as fun as the first two. Like the first two annuals this one features several original full color Dredd stories but this time they're all drawn by Carlos Ezquerra, as well as a bunch of other comics and features. We'll get a chance to see the city's reaction to the Apocalypse War and dispense justice in whole other dimensions!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Leigh S

"I've got them - I'm just not scratching" is one of my top 5 Dredd lines!

As for the price, it wasnt the kids the annuals were aimed at - they were seen as an easy Christmas present / Stocking Filler for grannies and parents rather than being affordable to kids straight off the shelf - so they are milking the 'dults rather than the juves!

Love "Day in the Death.."

"Behold THe Beast" is masterclass stuff - how to do a "nostalgia" story that just works as a story period - Helter Skelter hang your head in shame!

And "line 9" is so chilling and funny and depressing!  Possibly a good primer story that sums up Dredd as good as anything in 6 or 7 pages?

maryanddavid

Quote"I've got them - I'm just not scratching" is one of my top 5 Dredd lines!
Same here!

'Behold the Beast' is one of the few 2000AD strips that freaked me out a bit at the time of reading for some reason, the others were annual Future Shocks. First was a Belardinelli drawn strip about reaching the edge of space, the other two I remember only a bit, a father and son shooting an alien and the other was a guy in a boat and a nuclear war.
Not thought of these in years, weekend reading sorted!