Main Menu

Action and the Nationwide show

Started by Robert Frazer, 06 July, 2020, 07:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Frazer

It's part of the myth and legend of the British comics industry that a copy of Action was torn up on-air on an episode of the current affairs show Nationwide during the moral panic over the title in 1976. It's reported in many articles but I've never actually seen the dirty deed, so I'm curious - do any screenshots of the episode in question or any recordings of it survive, and is there anywhere to actually view it? As Action is the progenitor of 2000AD I'm interested in learning more about the comic's prehistory.
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

karlos

It might still be in the Beeb's archives, or maybe, someone managed to record it?

I've trawled the length and breadth of t'net over the years, to no avail.  I still check Youtube every now and then, just to see if it's somehow popped up.

I'd love to see it, too.

Funt Solo

There's some detail of Action's rise and fall in The Mighty One by Steve MacManus.

It's interesting to note that the people who actually created the comics were often surprised and dismayed (Steve hints at being terribly depressed when Starlord folded) when upper management canceled a title. Those decisions weren't being made by the creative team.

Edit: and there's an article from 2016's Guardian ... Too much action: how kids' comic Action drowned in its own ultraviolence
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

karlos

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: karlos on 06 July, 2020, 08:38:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alZAEJQn3A0

(12:17 - 15:20)

GREAT doc!

PUNK, PUNK, PUNK. PUNK, PUNKITY PUNK PUNK PUNK.

Sneering aside, you're right - I'm halfway through and I'm loving it.  Thanks for the link; just what the doctor ordered for another night in with shitty weather outside.

EDIT - I've had 'Their Law' by the Prodigy / PWEI stuck in my head all evening (was even singing the PWEI lyrical version loudly on my motorbike today), and now here it is accompanying the history of Dredd. Perfection

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

karlos

Very happy to hear you loved it, Jayzus - it really is great, isn't it?

Part 1 is also up on YouTube and, last time i looked, part 2 was on Dailymotion.

JayzusB.Christ

Definitely. Got through the rest of Episode 3 today. Great stuff. Also I am a huge fan of Stewart Lee - I knew he liked comics, but had no idea he was into 2000ad.  (I met him after one of his shows, and he's actually a really nice guy, despite his absolute wanker stage persona.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Robert Frazer

Quote from: karlos on 06 July, 2020, 08:38:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alZAEJQn3A0

(12:17 - 15:20)

GREAT doc!

Thanks for sharing the documentary - interesting stuff, although it doesn't have the footage that I was looking for. I suppose we'd have to go direct to the BBC and ask if any tapes survive?
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

If the Beeb did wipe the Nationwide Action-ripping debacle, it wouldnt be the only bit of significant seventies Frank Bough pop cultural vandalism they committed. The infamous 20th February 1976 edition of the same programme, featuring the Hexham Heads, the werewolf/weresheep and archaeologist Dr Anne Ross has similarly vanished.
And I'd rather that were back in the archives than any number of old Dr Who or Dads Army episodes.

SBT

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Robert Frazer on 07 July, 2020, 10:18:11 PMI suppose we'd have to go direct to the BBC and ask if any tapes survive?

Episodes/footage of Nationwide from 1976 does exist in the BBC archive but they're not readily available for public preview online so you'd need to put in a request – which involves money just to get a preview clip with a watermark even if you don't ultimately intend to use it for broadcast (it would be illegal to upload that watermarked clip for others to see).

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/videos/nationwide-1976?collections=bba,bbr,bbe&phrase=nationwide%201976&sort=mostpopular#license

BBC Clearance Process

1. Customer requests research on a given topic – 24hr turnaround
2. Getty sends a research results Word Doc to customer
3. Customer selects an official preview file(s) to select the specific shots needed for licencing (preview files cost £35 per item) - 1-3 days turnaround
4. BBC sends preview link to customer
5. Customer edits preview files, clipping and selecting the shots need – customer submits from within the     editing tool to receive Master files - 3- 5 days turnaround
6. BBC runs rights and permission checks to see if the shots can be approved for license or not
7. Once approved the Master files will be sent to Customer as a link.
8. Fees and rights can be discuss directly with your account manager before, during or after this process.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I've already tried that, believe it or not. A few years ago I even spoke to someone at the BBC directly about that particular episode of Nationwide and was given the strong impression that even if they hadn't wiped the film inserts from the studio links and pre filmed reconstructions/ the sound from the Anne Ross sections, it would not be forthcoming.

SBT

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 07 July, 2020, 11:27:44 PM
I've already tried that, believe it or not. A few years ago I even spoke to someone at the BBC directly about that particular episode of Nationwide and was given the strong impression that even if they hadn't wiped the film inserts from the studio links and pre filmed reconstructions/ the sound from the Anne Ross sections, it would not be forthcoming.

A shame; if it does exist, and there are no legal issues, content that the public all ready paid for should be made available – but there's always a chance the Action clip survives.

JOE SOAP

At the end of September, Sanders was invited to appear on the BBC's early evening magazine programme Nationwide. Sanders believes that the presenter that night was Frank Bough, later revealed to have extremely high moral standards of his own, although this is debatable, as another presenter's name is also mentioned. Unfortunately, according to sources at the BBC, the corporation have destroyed the archive footage, so any claims cannot be verified.

Bough went through a list of questions with Sanders prior to the live broadcast. However, as soon as the item went on air, Bough strayed from the pre-planned format and launched an attack on both Sanders and the comic. Sanders defended his position and the position of IPC as publisher, once again arguing the case with reference to other forms of violent media that were freely available to children, but as he stood up for his creation, forces within IPC acted to bring him down. Members of the editorial staff had gathered to watch the programme at King's Reach Tower, IPC's London office. Among them was Jack Le Grand, the man who had always wanted Action to fail.

https://downthetubes.net/?page_id=29301