Main Menu

Happy 30th Birthday, ZX Spectrum!

Started by Mike Carroll, 23 April, 2012, 02:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

C64 had a Hi-res mode which enabled larger less blocky sprites if memory serves. Never had a spectrum so wasnt sure about 3d Monster maze, maybe comparing Last Ninja would give more direct results?

I did however play on them at my poorer friends houses  ;)

If ye really want to put the boot into C64 then the fact it had none of the good Ultimate games is the way to go. Used to drive me nuts as a child.

Oh and happy birthday Speccy! Will read those articles above when I get home.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

SpetsnaZ99

Quote from: Pyroxian on 25 April, 2012, 12:25:07 PM
Grab a copy of TZX2Wav and then grab the TZX file of the game you want. (Should be able to get all this from World of Spectrum). then make the wav and stick it on your mp3 player - plug it into your Speccy and it should just work (tm).

Thank you. what a brilliant idea.

Now, i just need to know how to make a Kempston joystick out of a wooden spoon and an empty dvd case
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Pyroxian on 25 April, 2012, 12:29:24 PMXbox360 and PS3 are pretty much the same system nowadays - they've both got the same hardware, just the processors are a smidge different, and one has Halo.

Though I recall enjoying Halo 3, Star Trek: Legacy was a more significant 360 exclusive in my eyes (even if it forced you to play Voyager levels), but different controllers, dashboards, and the level of codec support for multimedia files are oddly what were deciding factors in which machine I ended up using more, even though I bought both as gaming machines, not multimedia hubs.

JayzusB.Christ

The Spectrum:  You took my youth away and I loved you for it.

Quoteespecially with a pirated C-60 tape of Jet Set Willy
How did you manage that? Given that dreadful colour-code chart that you needed to start it.

Also, last week I found the city from 3D Ant Attack (now mercifully free of giant ants).

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 May, 2012, 05:14:18 AM

Quoteespecially with a pirated C-60 tape of Jet Set Willy
How did you manage that? Given that dreadful colour-code chart that you needed to start it.

Well I for one spent an entire evening copying the colour chart. It was worth it!

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 May, 2012, 06:38:19 AM
Well I for one spent an entire evening copying the colour chart. It was worth it!

So it was you who destroyed that whole fledgling 'computer games' industry thing!

Colin YNWA

Yeah I also invented the pirate music industry 20 years before the media would have us believe the internet, by sitting by the radio with my fingers nervously twitching over the record and pause buttons... along with just about every other kid my age.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 24 May, 2012, 09:12:43 AM
... along with just about every other kid my age.

I have no idea what you're talking about, my huge pile of C60s and C90s were purely for, err, umm, were they all for again?

Anyway, FACT has been informed, please remain calm.

SmallBlueThing

I knew this thread was to blame.

Last night i dreamt i found a spectrum laptop (speccy with hinged monitor, that opened and closed like a laptop) for fifty quid in woolworths, that came loaded with a hundred speccy games like those mentioned on this thread- and spent xmas playing lunar jetman, jet pac, sabre wulf, attic attack and dig dug. It was arsom, and i am now mightily pissed off i cant have one. Sir clive, what the fuck is wrong with you!!??

Also i dreamt of miranda hart in holdups and no knickers, scratching her arse outside my local post office while i waited for a plane to take me to dublin. But, er...

SBT

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"