Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelardsnazz

The Consequences of Love. Typically sumptuously directed character study from Paolo Sorrentino, with regular collaborator Toni Servillo as a man of few words but great characterisation. Sorrentino seems to be on the way to being one of my favourite directors of the human condition.

von Boom

The Foreigner. I hadn't watched this one because of reports that Jackie Chan wasn't really in it all that much and that it wasn't very entertaining. Wrong!

Chan was wonderful as a distraught father looking for justice for his murdered daughter. He's completely believable as an aging ex-soldier falling on old skills to do what needed to be done.

Pierce Bronson is also equally as believable as an ex-IRA soldier and all around arsehole.

A very well done and entertaining film.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Shaolin Soccer

Possibly the greatest film I have ever seen.

Overdubbed, fast cut, cliched Oriental amazement.

I need to digest more. But the bad guys were called Team Evil.

If I was five, this is the movie I would have written.
Lock up your spoons!

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 01 June, 2018, 09:17:28 PM
Shaolin Soccer

Possibly the greatest film I have ever seen.

Overdubbed, fast cut, cliched Oriental amazement.

I need to digest more. But the bad guys were called Team Evil.
If I was five, this is the movie I would have written.

I love that film. If you haven't already, check out Kung Fu Hustle by the same dude - it's more of the same, but even better IMHO.

Dandontdare

Okay, here's an internet first - i was wrong

Just watched kung fu hustle again, specifically cos you put the idea in my head and I don't have a DVD of Shaolin soccer. It/s been a while but I seem to remember SS as being more consistently funny

the first half hour is priceless, but loses focus later on.,Shaolin Soccer is more fun .... must see that again

von Boom

Early Man. Yet another great film from Nick Park and Aardman. While the film is funny in itself, a lot of the wit is in the scenery gags behind the action. A fun and charming film.

Apestrife

Saw You were never really here yesterday. Really really liked it. Basically about a hired guy who often goes about his business with a hammer in hand (for which there is a reason) and having an internal crisis. A bit like Mad Max in Fury Road but less of a rabid doggy who's mumbling. It's one of those ugly movies which manages to feel beautiful. Which doesn't need to show violence to feel violent.

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVkAknQt790

I think it's director Lynne Ramsay is a name to look for in the upcoming years. Wouldn't mind it if  took on Wagner and Ranson's Button man.

abelardsnazz

2001 A Space Odyssey. First time seeing at the cinema, I'm absolutely blown away. From the dawn of man to brain-melting finale, Kubrick's photography, effects, use of music and sheer confidence in the universe he created with Arthur C Clarke are like nothing else before or since. Awesome.

Professor Bear

Movie version of videogame is not very good shocker - Tomb Raider (2018).
Hard to know where to start on this one, but I guess I'd begin with the main character being punched from one situation to another for the film's running time, or the bizarre dissolution of what little agency she might have claimed as backstory by making her story engine "daddy issues" - daddy goes away and Lara is angry for twenty years is pretty much all the character she has, so she rides a bicycle around London for a bit, then falls off a boat, then magically knows how to be a ninja.
There's a tendency to say "this movie looks like a video game" but this movie genuinely does look like a video game to the point it's mystery why they didn't just have big buttons appear onscreen during fights or when Lara is running into the screen.  There's a bit where Lara looks up on a sinking boat and there's some handily-placed monkey bars overhead and I just laughed, much as I did when she ran across a floor where the tiles are dropping into a chasm below, or when she cries "it's a colour puzzle!" while trying to figure a way out of death trap.
The game this is based on had a decent story, so it's hard to see why they changed the things they did, especially the stuff with her dad, as the only thing like that in the games was the background arc in the Keely Hawes-voiced reboot game series where Lara constantly encountered references to a maternal force in the ancient civilisations she encounters, a narrative flourish that utilised acknowledged monomythic cycles, and the movie - in being based on the current game series' first outing - centers on a female deity figure as a central McGuffin, making Lara's dad (rather than her mum) being the central focus of her character and story arc all the more baffling.  It's almost as if this was just a bunch of the action scenes from the 2013 Tomb Raider game stitched together with random story elements.

Alicia Vikander is a very purdy lady and she does what she can with material that is limited to grunting when she gets punched, looking grumpy at Dominic West's beard, and sighing at everyone else, but that's it.  Walton Goggins phones it in, and there are some Chinese blokes talking Chinese in it, because capitalism is failing on its ass and the commies are buying up all our shit from under us - even our terrible movies, one scene at a time.  It's directed by some bloke Roar Uthaug who I looked up and his other movies actually sound kind of neat, so I'll give those a look, but this is gash stuff.  I'd recommend you watch the compilation movie of the 2013 Tomb Raider game's cinematics on Youtube, as it actually clocks in around the same amount of time as the live-action movie, only the action scenes are a bit better.

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 June, 2018, 08:19:17 PM
Movie version of videogame is not very good shocker - Tomb Raider (2018).
Hard to know where to start on this one, but I guess I'd begin with the main character being punched from one situation to another for the film's running time, or the bizarre dissolution of what little agency she might have claimed as backstory by making her story engine "daddy issues" - daddy goes away and Lara is angry for twenty years is pretty much all the character she has, so she rides a bicycle around London for a bit, then falls off a boat, then magically knows how to be a ninja.
There's a tendency to say "this movie looks like a video game" but this movie genuinely does look like a video game to the point it's mystery why they didn't just have big buttons appear onscreen during fights or when Lara is running into the screen.  There's a bit where Lara looks up on a sinking boat and there's some handily-placed monkey bars overhead and I just laughed, much as I did when she ran across a floor where the tiles are dropping into a chasm below, or when she cries "it's a colour puzzle!" while trying to figure a way out of death trap.
The game this is based on had a decent story, so it's hard to see why they changed the things they did, especially the stuff with her dad, as the only thing like that in the games was the background arc in the Keely Hawes-voiced reboot game series where Lara constantly encountered references to a maternal force in the ancient civilisations she encounters, a narrative flourish that utilised acknowledged monomythic cycles, and the movie - in being based on the current game series' first outing - centers on a female deity figure as a central McGuffin, making Lara's dad (rather than her mum) being the central focus of her character and story arc all the more baffling.  It's almost as if this was just a bunch of the action scenes from the 2013 Tomb Raider game stitched together with random story elements.

Alicia Vikander is a very purdy lady and she does what she can with material that is limited to grunting when she gets punched, looking grumpy at Dominic West's beard, and sighing at everyone else, but that's it.  Walton Goggins phones it in, and there are some Chinese blokes talking Chinese in it, because capitalism is failing on its ass and the commies are buying up all our shit from under us - even our terrible movies, one scene at a time.  It's directed by some bloke Roar Uthaug who I looked up and his other movies actually sound kind of neat, so I'll give those a look, but this is gash stuff.  I'd recommend you watch the compilation movie of the 2013 Tomb Raider game's cinematics on Youtube, as it actually clocks in around the same amount of time as the live-action movie, only the action scenes are a bit better.

Now don't hold back, did you like it or not?

Professor Bear

I thought it was great.

Tiplodocus

10 CLOVERFIELD LANE is on Netflix and I managed to avoid spoilers all this time having only ever seen the firstvtrailer.

Well, that was rather good.

John Goodman and Mary Elizabeth Winstead are great and there is as much fun to be had from piecing together their back stories (some leaps to be made as it isn't all spelt out for you) as there is in the constant cranking up of tension.

And yeah, the ending both suckered and satisfied me immensely.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

La Tortue Rouge - French/Japanese animated film in which a shipwrecked man encounters a giant red turtle which he kills and fucks, in that order.  Bloody French.
Worth a look if you fancy letting the kids watch something different.

Mardroid

von Boom

Did he make soup out of it afterwards?