Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: CalHab on 07 November, 2017, 01:43:06 PM
I live in a country which has Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary and where Jacob Rees-Mogg is thought of as a credible and plausible next PM. Things can get a lot darker.

I'd be hesitant about going to some countries when, instead of working to get you released, the foreign secretary actually doubles your sentence...

Professor Bear

Don't worry, the Tories have worked hard to rebuild public trust after the Bojo gaffe by sacking an Indian lady.

CalHab

Labour in Scotland have finally managed to sort out their rift with the UK party by electing a pro-Corbyn leader. Hopefully they can now avoid needless distractions and act as the opposition Scotland needs.

Oh, I see..:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/20/kezia-dugdale-joins-im-a-celebrity-and-causes-splits-in-scottish-labour

Professor Bear

All that article tells me is that old media is getting desperate - if only because it somehow defines Kezia Dugdale as a celebrity.  Dugdale herself I don't blame at all for looking to cash in while she still can, as after telling the few Labour voters she hadn't alienated to vote Tory in order to stick it to the SNP (thanks for that, Kez), we can safely say her career in the party in its current form is done.

In less important news, the multinational peer-reviewed British Medical Journal - a review and research body established in 1840 and acknowledged globally - has brought out a study linking 120,000 deaths in the UK directly to the government's Austerity policies.  The BBC is flatly refusing to cover the story because the Science Media Center - whom the BBC itself has described as being a GM lobbying group founded in 2002 headed by a Rwandan genocide denier - has said it doubts the study's findings.  In the meantime, the BBC is running stories sourced from Guido Fawkes, a right wing conspiracy blog founded by a man convicted of drink driving four times.

Professor Bear

I've just heard about Oxford Circus, and would like to extend my deepest condolences to Tommy Robinson and Nigel Farage at this most difficult time.

JayzusB.Christ

:lol:
I remember being evacuated from the Tube on a short trip to London, during a red alert period back in the good old days of post 9/11 Al Qaeda attacks. I was amazed at how well it was carried out and how calm and orderly everyone was.  (If only the UK could approach a referendum in the same spirit.)

In other news,  Theresa May has finally done something that wasn't utterly loathsome.  Best get your fallout shelters dug
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

I used to work Saturdays at Woolworth's in Southport when I was at school in the 80s. Quite regularly some chap with an Irish accent would ring up and claim to have left a bomb somewhere in the store.

There would be no evacuation. Instead, some of us "Saturday Lads" would be given brooms and told to pretend to sweep the floor. Our real mission was to use our brooms to poke about under the racks and counters, fishing for suspicious packages.

Mr J____, who invariably took charge of this dubious operation, once asked me what I'd do if I actually found a bomb.

"Well," I said, nonplussed, "I'll need a new broom for a start."

I wasn't selected for Covert Security Sweep duties again after that.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Like a good business they were worried about you losing the broom.

The Legendary Shark

Indeed. Good brooms are hard to come by.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

A good read, cheers. Not sure how many iPhones the Bradbury Pound would buy, but still, maybe that day is coming anyway.

It's odd to me that such a revolutionary declaration makes such ready use of the terms "country" (and indeed "Queen"). Which country would this be? How defined?

Tjm86

Quote from: Robin Low on 03 December, 2017, 12:49:21 PM
I'd rather see Christian groups recognise the real good they could do in society, and that leading by example is better than force and threat when it comes to connecting with people. However, I think that by placing them under constant attack they inevitably withdraw and double down. I wonder if actively supporting individual priests, vicars, whoever, who are in favour of (for example) gay marriage would be more beneficial than attacking their church as a whole?

I hope nobody minds but I didn't want to have the prog thread mired down the way some other threads have of late.  In some respects I suppose there is a degree of inevitability since Tooth has always worn its political sensibilities on its sleeve but these days things seem so polarised that it is difficult to engage with issues without things getting nasty.

Christianity seems to have been reduced to this single issue it seems, its stance on sexuality.  Sometimes it seems like it is baiting.  People know what the Bible says and how important it is to Christians.  The vast majority are happy to accept that this goes against social mores.  Granted some are quite vocal and they generally tend to be quite influential but that is not the same as saying that they speak for all Christians.  It's a bit like saying that Donald Trump speaks for all Americans with some of the daft things he says.

It is fair to say though that Christians would do far better to focus on serving needs, following Gospel teaching on service and letting people make up their own minds.  Sometimes Evangalising does more harm than good even though it is possible to understand the concern that sometimes drives it, as misunderstood / miscommunicated as it often is.  Perhaps, as is suggested, this needs to be rethought since it is being done so badly.

The Legendary Shark

It's hard to take organised religion seriously when the Pope's own Aula Paolo VI Audience Hall, also known as the Hall of the Pontifical Audiences, looks like a whacking great serpent's head...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 03 December, 2017, 01:46:50 PM
Christianity seems to have been reduced to this single issue it seems, its stance on sexuality. 

Don't forget they also want to prevent non-Christians from shopping on Sundays because of reasons...

TordelBack

I have no real issue with British folk not knowing the precise line of the RoI/NI border, or the modern complexities of our little internecine squabbles, t'was ever thus with core and periphery. 

What I do have a problem with is the brows being earnestly furrowed in animated contemplation of the (surprise!) intractable border situation, and all the wider consequences of ANY solution within the Brexit milieu. This is actual thought being applied 18 months too bloody late, chaps: we were saying exactly this (even on this very thread!) the very moment the UK's suicide was mooted.