Main Menu

Rogue Trooper (and related G.I's) Fanzine

Started by Steven Denton, 04 October, 2017, 03:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Denton

Quote from: blackmocco on 03 March, 2018, 05:06:09 PM
Wouldn't mind taking a stab at something too, Steven. Too much wasted potential with Rogue. When you thinking for this or are you waiting to see what comes your way to make it viable...?

The complexation date is flexible. I expect it to be done either mid of late 2019, so plenty of time.

I'm am definitely still looking for contributors drop me a message (either here or on Facebook) and let me know what kind of thing you would like to do.

https://www.facebook.com/RogueTrooperFanzine/

Steven Denton

I've Just finished a 'Friday' text story that's going to need 3 or 4 Illustrations. This would be a good opportunity for an artist (or two) who is interested in contributing but doesn't have time for sequentials to jump on board.

https://www.facebook.com/RogueTrooperFanzine/

james newell

i would like to do one illo it you still need some one, it might take me a month to get around to doing it thought if that ok. post a link to story.

Steven Denton

Warm up stuff. I did this story on a whim for the short story competition, then did a couple of illustrations on a whim too.

Tor Cyan's ambulance spun out of control, its circuits sparking and smoking; motors and coils burning from electrical overload. The orderly droids crackled as they burnt. They moved through a series of mechanical tests as their processors failed. Cyan briefly thought how much they looked like they were practising yoga positions whilst on fire. Androids have seldom looked as much like an absurd mockery of life.

A massive, radioactive electrical wave had hit the small spacecraft as it made its approach to the mining operation on the planet Magnus Hellenbeck. There had been an accident and thirteen seriously injured miners needed an evac to Mercy Heights. Hellenbeck was genealogically young; its surface was a constantly shifting jigsaw of soft rock and lava. Thousand mile an hour winds and thick pyroclastic clouds scoured its surface, creating massive electrical storms that lashed out into space. Cyan had flown right into one. It fried the android orderlies' minds and set their bodies alight; it shorted the ambulance's controls and superheated the electrics. It would have killed any human on board instantly; but Cyan was just in unimaginable pain. He thought of it as a wakeup call; space's way of saying "Don't get cocky".

The acrid smoke was getting so thick he could hardly see; something started beeping, then something else, then something else; systems were failing in a cacophony of urgent, shrill alarms. The smoke tasted like acid and smelled like a bonfire of arseholes. Cyan had always wondered why his sense of smell and taste were so acute when almost nothing could poison him. A much deeper beeping let him know that he had picked up the mining station's beacon. The beeps turned into a constant tone as he lined up the ambulance with the approach signal. He took one last unpleasant breath, then opened the airlock and switched off all power. The smoke drained into space instantly, and the fires went out. The temperature dropped to near absolute zero. He hoped the power would start again or he was going to hit the planet's surface at ten thousand miles per hour. The androids floated gracefully in the zero gravity. Cyan hit the start button a little harder than necessary and the craft kicked back into life.

Shields further up the shuttle were buffeted and burnt by the winds and the boiling ash, but Cyan arrived safely at the complex's hangar. The injured miners were there to meet him. Their confidence seemed to dip when Cyan tossed out the burnt droids. "Orderlies are broken. If you can't board under your own power, raise your hands and I'll haul your ass aboard."

The journey back to Merry Heights is far less eventful. Covered in blood and soot, Cyan delivers the injured and then heads straight for the bar. Lilla Ferro has been sitting by herself in one of the booths for an hour, nursing a drink and a headache. "Tor, you look like crap." Cyan stares at her. "It's been a tough shift," he says with a solemn expression. "I've been to Hellenbeck."

mightybren

I've got some potential ideas for a Tor Cyan illustration. I did a sketch last night (which turned out to be awful :p ), but it's sparked some other ideas.

I'll see if I can come up with something in the next few days.

Steven Denton

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

mightybren

Work in progress...

Let me know what you think

Steve Green

mightybren

Finally got round to inking this. I'll add some colour soon. Not sure if the zine will be printed in colour... but I'll colour it anyway.

Thoughts and feedback most welcome 🙂 I'm working on a second illustration showing Tor Cyan throwing the broken droids from the ship. Might be a while until that's ready though...

Steven Denton

Really nice! I like your style and you can draw a good head.

Criticism wise, I'm not really sure what's going on in the bottom let and I think Tor's eyepiece and scars are on the left side of his face

mightybren

Thanks Steve 🙂 yup heads are pretty much what I'm good at right now. I'm learning the rest of the human body but it'll take some time.

I may just flip this to deal with the issue of the eye... woops! That's a colossal mistake on my part.
Bottom left is supposed to a hand wrestling with a joy stick. I can draw hands relatively well too, it's  the perspective isn't really helping here. There's supposed to be another screen there to help frame the composition, but looking at it now it's not needed. I was thinking colour would make it clearer, but I probably shouldn't rely on colour when it should be clear in black and white.

Really appreciate the quick response and the feedback, I'll see if I can do another iteration.

Tjm86

Leave the colour out, it works incredibly well as is.  Sometimes B&W can do a far better job than colour does.  What you've posted here is a nice piece.  What will be interesting is to see how your work evolves for narrative artwork.  Looking forward to seeing more after this, mind.

mightybren

Thanks, that's very encouraging.

I'm.not yet confident enough with my figure work to commit to sequential art yet. I'm fine with gesture and proportions, but my knowledge of the muscles and how they work structurally is too weak. I'm working hard on learning and improving though so hopefully sooner than later I'll be posting work that's more ambitious.

That said my second illustration was going to have a fuller figure, as will my art stars entry. I just can't promise they'll be as good.

Steven Denton

The Best way to practice sequentials is to get stuck into some sequentails! 

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Steven Denton on 22 June, 2018, 11:35:16 AM
The Best way to practice sequentials is to get stuck into some sequentails!

Yup. They'll be terrible, but nobody else ever has to see them, and you'll be slowly learning important skills...
@jamesfeistdraws