Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: DrRocka on 23 August, 2017, 10:34:54 PM

D'you know what puts me off, though? What really TINY detail gets right under my OCD? There's no title on the spines! How the hell am I to know which volume's which on my bookshelves? That actually is a deal breaker for me over whether to dip in now and again and get more. I know, it's some kind of autism or something, I guess.

Can't knock this for two quid though, can you?
With these types of partworks where the titles are not on the spine I type up my own list in the same dimensions of the book and keep it in front of the first volume. Once the run is completed I get it laminated and then I have a handy guide to what's where.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 23 August, 2017, 08:34:34 PM
as i'm somewhat reluctantly going to carry on with the eaglemoss star trek collection (which is a really nice and unusual selection).

I'm getting the Star Trek one too. Not subbing though, just getting them saved at my Newsie. Also ordering the specials from the website. The specials are rather lovely too with nice dust jackets.
It's a good collection, released in order, and with the titles on the spines too!

karlos

Thanks for the answers, chaps.

The only nitpick I have with otherwise glorious Slaine book is, the Bisley prog covers are not included.

Tomwe

Quote from: karlos on 23 August, 2017, 11:40:53 PM
Are we getting all of Bad Company, and are we getting a stand alone ABC Warriors; The Black Hole, or will it essentially be a repackage of Mek Files vol. 1, with the first few stories?
Quote from: abelardsnazz on 24 August, 2017, 07:25:48 AM
Also from Barney, total ABC page count is around 1200 which will fill 6 volumes, so I think the first will be the early stories and The Black Hole.
MEK Files Vol 1 is listed on Amazon as 304pgs so I suspect some early strips will have to be shunted into vol 2 (which lists as 208), or be lost all together. Gonna do some people's heads in I'm sure.
That series is some of the only 2000 AD reprints I've invested in since returning to the prog in 2015 (they're beautiful and hefty) so I could skip those issues of the collection. Yeah right. #doubledip

marko10174

If Nikolai Dante volume 4 (which I'm assuming will cover the tsar wars) is issue 35, doe that mean we'll be waiting about two years for that issue to come out?

Tomwe

Quote from: marko10174 on 24 August, 2017, 09:27:26 AM

If Nikolai Dante volume 4 (which I'm assuming will cover the tsar wars) is issue 35, doe that mean we'll be waiting about two years for that issue to come out?
Issue 35 out 12/12/2018 by my calculations.

Anthony Garnon

Hey, for anybody who couldn't make Boo's signing last night, Forbidden Planet London have a very small number of issue 1 signed on their shelves (no more than a dozen) and have copies of the big launch poster - it's 60cm by 40cm - available to anybody who wants one. They're not taking anymore orders on the signed copy online, mind.

Arkady

Did someone say that the releases for particular characters would be chronological? If so, does that imply that we won't get any early Slaine, or are they just leading off with a Big Hitter as an exception?

Swerty

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 24 August, 2017, 07:50:24 AM
Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 23 August, 2017, 08:34:34 PM
as i'm somewhat reluctantly going to carry on with the eaglemoss star trek collection (which is a really nice and unusual selection).

I'm getting the Star Trek one too. Not subbing though, just getting them saved at my Newsie. Also ordering the specials from the website. The specials are rather lovely too with nice dust jackets.
It's a good collection, released in order, and with the titles on the spines too!

I'd rather have the titles on the spine as well.I know it's too late now.I know part of the appeal is not knowing whats coming next but they could add the title of the book on at the time of publication.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Arkady on 24 August, 2017, 11:56:45 AM
Did someone say that the releases for particular characters would be chronological? If so, does that imply that we won't get any early Slaine, or are they just leading off with a Big Hitter as an exception?

I suspect the latter, as I have estimated on the back of a stamp that all of Slaine, including the extra game pages from Tomb of Terror and the Diceman games, will easily fit into 13 volumes - perhaps Bisley's covers will be included to fill up space in another book?

As an aside, the latest Thrill-cast is well worth a listen, Mills and Bisley both talking at length about the creative process that went into the Horned God and its legacy. Recommended.

Magnetica

Quote from: Tomwe on 24 August, 2017, 09:15:08 AM
.. I could skip those issues of the collection. Yeah right. #doubledip

Before I joined the forum I hadn't bought any collections of stuff I already had in Prog or Meg format. Then I started buying some as they are easier to re-read for example it is easier than tracking down the Progs given my hap hazard filling system and way easier to bring on the Tube etc. But I'm not at the point where I will double dip stuff I already have the collection of, unless it adds significant extra value e.g. restoring the "banned" Cursed Earth episodes or colour centre spreads.

Not sure I understand the need for multiple copies. A spine art picture just isn't enough for me to justify 800 quid or the space. So just out of interest, what motivates others to double / multiple dip?

karlos

Magnetica - for me, it's the lure of the hardback, and the nice, new, shiny paper.

With the awesome added bonus of getting rid of the originals that are, frankly, starting to smell!

IndigoPrime

Hardbacks and sell the originals is my plan. As for release order, Sláine appears to be an exception.

Arkady

Judging by the pictures I've seen, the top and bottom of the spine art has been trimmed drastically. The bottom of Stickleback's face is likely going to be missing, as are the heads of many of the 'background' characters. Seems like a big mistake to me.

Tomwe

Quote from: Arkady on 24 August, 2017, 02:27:41 PM
Judging by the pictures I've seen, the top and bottom of the spine art has been trimmed drastically. The bottom of Stickleback's face is likely going to be missing, as are the heads of many of the 'background' characters. Seems like a big mistake to me.

I think you're right. See comparison image here. Though Skizz is possibly repositioned so there may have been some jiggling to retain details. Can't even see Tharg's ear he was so concerned about either if this is right though

EDIT: that might just be the angle of the book's image I took from Twitter

EDIT2: Actually, it's made explicit here isn't it. And that matches the art on the books spine. Shame.