Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Quote from: Funt Solo on 24 July, 2019, 05:44:49 AM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 July, 2019, 11:16:41 PM
"It's lovely weather, why aren't you outside?"

Because it's full of insects and I like doing things like watching movies and playing video games which are a bit shit in bright sunlight.

I think I just fell in love with Tiplodocus.
Get in line.

Tiplodocus

Those items of clothing that have material sewn and knotted in layers to make a pleasing design when worn but make it like trying to untangle the physical manifestation of an Escher painting when they come out of the washing machine or tumbler.

Them.

They should be banned.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

paddykafka

Drokking House Alarms!

One of them went off in the business premises beside me at 12.30AM this morning and continued on, unabated, until 2.10AM.

Just what someone with chronic insomnia really needs.

I feel like Quasimodo screaming: "The Bells, Esmerelda! They make me deaf, you know!"

I am not a Happy Bunny today.

The Legendary Shark

You should try the Teachers or the Grouse instead...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: paddykafka on 25 July, 2019, 10:21:17 AM
Drokking House Alarms!

Kerriste yes.  I sometimes work months of nights, and live in a big estate, and the numbers of house alarms that just go *all day* is unreal, the volumes are ludicrous, and as it's usually more than one at any given times the interference and echoes and impromptu rhythms... sheesh. Earplugs only do so much. And for what purpose? I've realised that the thing I like most about holidays away is the absence of this endless backing track.

It should be law that if the alarm goes on longer than 15 minutes you have permission to rob the place yourself. 

paddykafka

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 July, 2019, 10:39:07 AM
Quote from: paddykafka on 25 July, 2019, 10:21:17 AM
Drokking House Alarms!

It should be law that if the alarm goes on longer than 15 minutes you have permission to rob the place yourself.

Interestingly enough, the premises itself is a Science Laboratory of some sort or other. So if, at some future point, I start posting here in various different languages, showing a marked improvement in IQ that would put even the smartest poster here to shame and start speaking of myself in the Third Person, then you'll know what happened.

That is assuming that I can still type with paws...or tentacles...

(As an update, I just took a call from a very nice lady in the company. She apologised most profusely for the disturbance and promised that they would do all they can to ensure it doesn't happen again.  According to the Fire Brigade, the recent increase in temperature is setting off the Fire alarms around a lot of places).

JayzusB.Christ

Yes, it truly is fecking horrible.  It's one of the many things I don't miss now I live in the sticks. 
We did have the sodding commune, yes, commune, down the road doing band practice in their cowshed at ridiculously high volumes last year.  Think I'd prefer the car alarms to wall-vibrating bass guitars thrumming for half the night.  Fortunately they're actually very nice people and stopped as soon as they realised how loud it was.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Clocks.

They turn people into robots.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 July, 2019, 05:12:56 PM

Clocks.

No, that's the Borg you're thinking of
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Clocks.

It's that time of year again...

I agree with the Shark! If I wasn't already drinking a beer I'd crack one open to celebrate.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JamesC

Clocks.

From the script for Watchmen Season 2.

radiator

Think I've mentioned this before - maybe even on this thread - but living in the US the continued cultural dominance/ubiquity of middle of the road 60s and 70s 'classic rock' is baffling as it is aggravating.

Turn on the radio or walk into any bar here and I guarantee you will almost never hear any music released after 1976. I swear to God I feel like I have to hear Hotel California by The Eagles four or five times a week. It drives me up the wall sometimes.

It's as if punk, new wave and hip hop never happened for huge swathes of this country. It's so absurd to me - this music is almost 50 years old, it belongs in a museum! Maybe time to let it go and move on? It's like if people in the 1970s all still insisted on listening to music from the 1920s and 1930s. I feel like in the UK and Europe in general the inverse is true, and you're unlikely to ever hear anything before the 80s.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++