Main Menu

Prog 2055 - Wave of Terror!

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 October, 2017, 02:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 October, 2017, 09:15:04 AM
Sláine. Well, I just don't get it these days. Thinking about it, the strip now feels like it wants to be a novel. The way it's written would be better suited to prose, perhaps with the odd spot illustration. The pace is absurdly sluggish, and although Davis can do no wrong, I'm just bored. (And, really, when you're in the middle of a fight for your life, is there really time for that much chat?)

It's been a novel before - more than one in fact... 

• Sláine the Exile
  • Sláine the Defiler

A.Cow

Quote from: Richard on 29 October, 2017, 01:35:14 PM
One of the most common and stupid cliches in comics is people talking and fighting at the same time. I'm no expert, but I feel pretty confident in asserting that if you tried that in real life then (1) your opponent wouldn't be listening, (2) you'd get your jaw broken pretty soon, and (3) you'd lose the fight.

Yeah, because comics are known for their real-life accuracy...

Besides, I'd argue that comics would be very boring if we had fighting with no dialogue.
Especially Spider-Man.

TordelBack

Without giving Mills a blanket pardon for this offence (which is everywhere), in the specific case of Slaine he's explicitly following the bombastic tradition of celtic myth, where opponents exchange boasts, insults, regrets and even poems as they fight.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 October, 2017, 10:12:39 AM
opponents exchange boasts, insults, regrets and even poems as they fight.

You're talking about the forum, aren't you.

Fungus

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 30 October, 2017, 10:38:04 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 30 October, 2017, 10:12:39 AM
opponents exchange boasts, insults, regrets and even poems as they fight.

You're talking about the forum, aren't you.

Heh!

Tiplodocus

So we can expect a sequence where Slaine announces he is leaving the Land Of The Young forever? And flounces off in a huff. Only to return two panels later.

Oh wait, that DID happen already.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tjm86

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 31 October, 2017, 11:40:07 AM

Oh wait, that DID happen already.

No idea.  I lost track of what the hell is going on in Slaine years ago.

A.Cow

Quote from: Tjm86 on 31 October, 2017, 12:31:15 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 31 October, 2017, 11:40:07 AM
.... Oh wait, that DID happen already.
No idea.  I lost track of what the hell is going on in Slaine years ago.

Hang, on ... there's actually stuff going on in Slaine??

I'd always presumed it was just a load of pretty pictures of characters posing & shouting, like a kind of Voguing with Tourette's.

TordelBack

I know y'all know if you care or not, but it's pretty straightforward these days - Slaine's tribe left this world for another 'density' at the end of the Books of Invasion, leaving Ireland to Gael's people, who had been freed from the control of the Formorians.  Slaine stayed behind, wandering around Albion, occasionally running into Ukko, Nest,  and his son Kai. 

He's headed over to the drune island stronghold of Mona to rescue local woman Siobhan and recover the Treasures of the Goddess, stolen from a local tribe by his buddy who turned out to be a secret drune in service to Slough Feg's son*, newly Slough-ed Goddodin. Goddodin is playing mindgames with Slaine about his parentage, and they both had a run-in with one of the Archons, jailers of the Dark Gods.

Now he's heading back across the causeway to the mainland with Siobhan and the treasures.  That's it.

Woolly

Your saying it reads better in one go, yeah?  ;)

Fungus

I'll look at the pretty pictures this week...

norton canes

I haven't had a chance to read the prog yet (and I haven't read this thread either so I hope this hasn't already been mentioned) but I noticed that this makes four covers since there was a Dredd cover - and only two of the last ten covers have featured Dredd. Coincidence? Or an effort to make the prog less Dredd-centric?

Proudhuff

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 28 October, 2017, 06:54:09 PM

Is that a shark jumping?

Can someone tell TMO those beards are so last century!

Dredd is a excellent set up, and a few older hands could pick up a bit o knowledge from the Car-Roll Droid about how to do a bit of basil, without having to do it during an epic battle.
Artwork spot on too, nice work team Dredd  :thumbsup:

Absalom: still the highlight of the Prog for me, love the art and sense of foreboding about this trip to hell...
I'm hoping the GRennie Droid hasn't got bored of the auld Fecker and dumping him with Cal Inc in the round file.
DDT did a job on me