Main Menu

Prog 1716 - Ampney Crucis Investigates...

Started by Banners, 08 January, 2011, 07:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluemeanie

I, Cosh

It's basically identical to the first Ampney Crucis cover but he's holding something in the other hand.

Must admit, for a story I'm not in the least enthused about, that sneak peek of the new Flesh artwork has really intrigued me.

Another lacklustre Prog. Shakara the best thing in it. Everybody just remember this review as I get the feeling it's going to be the same for the next eight weeks.
We never really die.

vzzbux

CF I can scan a pic of the frame if you wish to see it.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

COMMANDO FORCES

That would be great vzzbux, Pete sent me a pic on the phone but a pic in the thread would be lovely  :D

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

COMMANDO FORCES

Thanks vzzbuz, I'm in heaven now can't wait till I get my progs tomorrow  :D

Buttonman

Well done CF - your work here is done. Although if that's you driving Mike better get his specs fixed - baldy wish fulfillment that's what that is!

COMMANDO FORCES

I'll have you know Mike has perfect eyesight and he's definately my favourite Dredd writer. In fact I can't wait for the Michael Carroll Collection now  ;)

House of Usher

It was a good Prog, I thought. Hardly lacklustre.  :|

A clever Judge Dredd story with several interesting twists.
Shakara was good.
Kingdom was good, and had a new addition to the dramatis personae.
Necrophim was in it too.
And Ampney Crucis Investigates. Well, if he must, he must.

Still 7/10
STRIKE !!!

Colin Zeal

A good prog this week. Dredd and Kingdom were excellent, while Necrophim continues to intrigue me with the twists and turns. Ampney looks like it could be developing into a cracking story and Shakara was, well Shakara. Never really been able to get into it but it's ok.

Alski

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 09 January, 2011, 03:42:49 PM
The torture is killing me!
Thanks for the nudge towards the thread Pete, I try not to look at the prog and Meg ones until I get my copy but now I shall have to get many copies this week.
I presume the story is from Mike Carroll, if it is THANK YOU, you are my favourite Dredd writer  ;)

Mike Carroll is indded an amzing writer and beautiful human being.

Can I be a Judge now?  ;)

It was a great story, mind. The compulsive stuff was very well done. Mike seems to really "get" the one prog Dredds like no one else bar Wagner. Parise indeed!

Elsewhere all was good, and it's good to see a Shakara ep with no bleedin SHAKARA! Kingdom still shines brightly, even if it's just a load of bangs this week, and Necrophim looks liek it's going to get even more confusing, but teh art is gorgeous. As for AMpney Crucis, I'm enjoying it if not loving it.

A good prog all round, with no boredom anywhere.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

James Stacey

For a long while us fans have been banging on about how so many writers who aren't Mr Wagner just don't get Dredd. It's very gratifying therefore to see a board member get a crack at Dredd and to nail it spot on. Well done Mike. Also your 2011 Dredd output so far, exceeds that of JW .. .cor  :lol:

leebrown1990

Cover: Nothing new but Davis always delivers on composition, shape and color.

Dredd: Really liked this, the ending was a bit heavy handed with the dialogue but the moment it clicked you see it was a very clever little story. Good start for Mike and what a lucky guy getting Willsher and Blythe, what an art team!

Shakara: Cliched but really enjoyable, take notes Ampney Crucis.

Ampney Crucis: Blande.

Necrophim: I'd go as far as to say I hate this. I think it's actually getting worse, I'm sorry for being so negative. But it's broing to look at and even more so to read. Carter is wasted here.

Kingdom: Always a fun little read.

Overall: Still not got the momentumn I wanted after the christams break, everything seems to be draggind it's heels and a little stangant so far. Top Thrill Dredd or Shakara again. Congrats again Mike!

Cheers,
Lee
"After 2,000 years of keeping them breeding inside the one bloodline, we're lucky the bastard doesn't have antennae."

Mikey

Nice cover - striking, clean and nice texture IMO.

Dredd - A great one off, with top scribbles by Willsher who gives good Dredd. I said this about the last story too, but it hit the mark in an old school way without being nostalgic. And of course, hearty congrats to the Forces! You'll just have to buy that page now, CF  ;)

Shakara! - You know what I love about Shakara? Everything! But the fact that the series is able to paint a galaxy spanning space opera using what are almost vignettes of the characters is a joy IMO. It may be called Shakara, but it's a great ensemble piece. Superb.

Ampney Crucius - And it's a 'meh' from me I'm afraid. Love the art, natch, but it feels very static at the minute and I don't really care about the characters as yet. I only just clicked that Ampney is a bit Benecio del Toro.

Necrophim - It's OK. For me, it's taking it's time to get to the big fight, which I hope is coming. A bit of hack and slash is what you need, which brings me to...

Kingdom - Another week, another installment! Love.It.To.Bits.

Not too shabby all round then, Tharg.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

House of Usher

Quote from: Mikey on 12 January, 2011, 12:41:59 PM
I only just clicked that Ampney is a bit Benecio del Toro.

There's something kind of disagreeable about Ampney's look. A combination of Dean Stockwell in Blue Velvet and Jesse Birdsall in Wish You Were Here. Not at all nice to look at.
STRIKE !!!