Main Menu

Latest Prog

Started by 2000AD Online, 08 November, 2001, 07:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

Giday everyone, it's Floyd Kermode here with a quick message.  It's really me, I just made a mistake typing my name in!  I do live in Japan and I'm not really called Bishop.
    I live in a small town called Warabi which has the dubious distinction of being Japan's most crowded town.  There are a lot of small time Yakuza and hostess bars here and the horizone looks very Megacity One-ish.  
     Liked the latest prog mostly.  Isn't it great to see Anderson and SInister/Dexter back again?

yours actually,

Floyd

dodsworthboy

Hiya floyd nice hearing from you i find your letters interresting when they appear.

Matt

This is a wind up right? C'mon Scojo stop messing about.

Wake

No - he's the real deal. Hi Floyd!

Wake

fraston

Hey floyde that city sounds great! how easy is it for a brit to survive speaking only english out there? just so's i know whether i should ever consider a trip out there.

O yeh, prog is great, espesh the great potato strip.

Fraston

Geefe

Well my dear boy, it seems that we have that most cliched of entities, a "living legend" in our midst.  How lovely to see that the "Floyde-meister" was not just a ploy by the editor to increase the word count of the letters page.  

I should also like to take this opportunity to reveal myself, having been watching from the sidelines for a short time now.

Geefe

death monkey 23

Yo Floyd:
"The horizon looks Mega-City One-ish?
Floyd, my man.  No diss, but you're an Australian who lives in Japan.  Do you not occasionally find it hard to follow some of the Britain/US-based social satire contained in Tharg's organ, being as you are neither British or Japanese?

Matt

Hello little boy (just thought I'd start off in the same patronising tone as your last message), but why should any non anglophile find 2K hard to understand? Your suggestion that Floyd may not understand the social satire in 2K simply because he is an Australian was utter bollocks. Does that mean I should stop reading Dickens because I'm not a victorian? Does that make his social commentary any less relevant to modern day audiences? Or how about Shakespear? Will I not understand his work because I never lived in Tudor England?  Come to think of it, how about Akira? I'm not from Japan so any opinion I may form on that work must be less worthy than that of a native of the country. Tell you what Monkey Boy, next time you mouth off on the message board make sure you're not just spouting shit.

O Lucky Stevie!

ever heard of cultural imperialism, death monkey?

steven l'enfant terrible

an auastralian who has no problem whatsoever understanding the social satire in 2000ad (though american readers might, come to think of it)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

death monkey 23

Im terribly sorry.  It's just I am in the presence of quite a lot of irritating Australian people of late, and needed to let off steam.

Sorry.

death monkey 23

O Lucky Stevie!

tell me about lots of irritsating australian people of late; have any of you guys seen the results of our recent federal election?

welcoming the bomb,
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

2000AD Online

word up DM23!  Not being Japanese doesn't hamper my ability to appreciate 2000AD at all. Why would it?
  As for understanding the Britain/US based social satire, Australia is a country with a very anglophile education stystem and culture, which has been turning more towards the US since WW2.  I have no problem with any of the references.  I grew up on a diet of Benny Hill, Dr Who, Callan etc.  Also, I read a lot of English stuff and work with a lot of poms and yanks.  So no, I don't occasionally find it hard to follow
     Tokyo is much more MC1 ish than Melbourne - it's a vast built up city which never seems to end and is quite polluted.  Luckily for me the resemblance to MC1 ends there.

cheers,

Floyd

damnandblast

Given that I'm currently staring out of a Melbourne hotel window, allow me to comment on the scenery:

two churches, one skyscraper, the T&G building and some dickheads playing tennis. Badly.

Yup, that's MC1.

Nigel