Main Menu

Meg 385 - A Town Called Malice!

Started by Richard, 17 June, 2017, 08:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Wow!

A phenomenally good Dredd one-off by Michael Carroll, and in my view he's now made it as one of the top Dredd writers. This feels like an '80s (in a good way) Wagner & Grant tale. It's got a solid sf idea underpinning it, it's funny, it has a decent plot, and it introduces a fun character who I really hope we'll see again.

I'm so delighted with this one that I haven't even waited to read the rest of this issue yet - although this has the last episode of Lawless and a new Anderson story.

Richard

So there's also a decent Tale From the Black Museum by Rory McConville and Andy Currie (when did we last see his work?) (which includes an obscure reference to America).

The "new" Anderson story is actually a continuation of the last one.

Lawless finishes for now, but this storyline will continue.

A good [spoiler]double-page spread[/spoiler] in Havn.

There's also an obituary for Edmund Bagwell, and features about Skizz and One-Eyed Jack. Personally I'd like to see Wagner do some new OEJ stories in 2000 AD, or maybe a Dredd time-travel story where he meets Jack.

Richard

And that cover continues on the back!

Richard

By which I meant the picture continues on the back, not just the paper, which you knew already.

Geoff

Great self contained Dredd and the rest of the Meg's pretty good too.

May just be me, but the facial expressions on the 2 Marshalls on the cover look a bit odd to me...

CalHab

Quote from: Geoff on 19 June, 2017, 08:14:47 AM

May just be me, but the facial expressions on the 2 Marshalls on the cover look a bit odd to me...

Yes, Lawson looks a bit off to me as well.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: CalHab on 19 June, 2017, 08:46:38 AM
Quote from: Geoff on 19 June, 2017, 08:14:47 AM

Yes, Lawson looks a bit off to me as well.

They look almost simian to me!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Proudhuff

Quote from: Richard on 17 June, 2017, 08:50:59 PM
Wow!

A phenomenally good Dredd one-off by Michael Carroll, and in my view he's now made it as one of the top Dredd writers. This feels like an '80s (in a good way) Wagner & Grant tale. It's got a solid sf idea underpinning it, it's funny, it has a decent plot, and it introduces a fun character who I really hope we'll see again.

This ^^^

I'm enjoying Lawless but not as much as others here, personally I'd like a bit more Deadwood and less Lone Ranger, but that's just me  ;)

There is something right happening in the state of Havn and its keeping us guessing which is great, Anderson seems, sorry to say being done by numbers, and I'd prefer a more dynamic and varied approach to the artwork.

The two text pieces are fine advertorials and do answer the question, WTF does Demi-god Moore make of the reprints.

Sadly no Dreddlines to brighten Butt'mans Hols.
DDT did a job on me

sheldipez

The Meg has been on a roll for months now. Regularly enjoy it over the prog and no exception this month. Dredd was laugh out funny with great art. Again laughed through Black Museum. Sad to see the wonderful Lawless go. And both Havn (which was a slow burn for me) and Anderson to heat up.  I've loved reading through Necrophim back to back in the floppy; some stories really do click more when read in a big chunk, hope they finish it off next floppy. IMO there hasn't been a bad story in Meg for ages. Brill.

Proudhuff

BTW its brilliant to have Carl Critchlow back in TMO's thrall, he does a cracking job on this Dredd.
More please and in the Prog too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me

AlexF

Such as good Dredd tale this month! I do hope we see the narrating psychic again; I expect there's mileage in her adopting different narration styles depending on which sector of the city she's in. Get her into Angeltown and see what happens...

sheridan

Loved the narrating psychic!

Can't figure out why [spoiler]double-page spread[/spoiler] was spoilered.

Richard

They're more effective when they're a surprise.

IndigoPrime

Lawless continues to be superb. I mentioned to Mrs G that Iceland was the setting for a Dreddworld strip. I got a 'look'. She... wasn't overly thrilled by the elves component.