Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

Ah, Metal Gear Solid. I picked up a few older games from the XBox Live sale last week, including Kane & Lynch 2, Max Payne 3, Tomb Raider Legend and a couple of MGS things (Peace Walker and 2&3 HD). So far I've tried Max Payne 3 (good shooty fun and looks nice) and MGS: Peace Walker (incomprehensible). The writing and acting are dire and there's more cut scene than game. Are MGS 2 and 3 this tedious? Should I just delete them unplayed?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

grthink

Quote from: Noisybast on 13 March, 2013, 09:19:51 AM
Are MGS 2 and 3 this tedious?

Can't speak for 3, but there's a LOT of cutscenes in MSG2. A few standout moments maybe make it worth playing through once, though.

Link Prime

Quote from: Noisybast on 13 March, 2013, 09:19:51 AM
MGS: Peace Walker (incomprehensible). The writing and acting are dire and there's more cut scene than game. Are MGS 2 and 3 this tedious? Should I just delete them unplayed?

If you can get past some nonsensical cut-scenes & bad dialogue, I found them all to be very rewarding games in their own rights.
Embrace the 'Stealth' element for maximum enjoyment.
Plus, they have some of the most memorable 'Boss fights' of my gaming career.

grthink

Quote from: El Pops on 12 March, 2013, 08:11:55 PM
Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 12 March, 2013, 07:15:33 PM
I tried playing Dark Forces recently but by god it is old.  I don't think it was particularly unplayable so much as the look and gameplay mechanics left me scratching my head wondering what I was supposed to be doing after a few levels.

When I played through it recently, I found muscle memory did most of the work for me. Some levels are quite obtuse, you really need to read the mission briefings and then use your map.

Yeah, I remember doing a lot of running around with my map open. Also remember the first few playthroughs, just wandering around with no idea of what to do next. Still, one of my fondest gaming experiences.

I, Cosh

Still trying to master the last couple of challenge levels on Arkham Asylum but picked up a couple of cheapo deals in Game last week.

I'd always fancied The Saboteur and it's okay. Basically a GTA knock off with a beret set in WW2 Paris. The big stylistic trick is the way areas under occupation are black and white and gradually transition to colour as you do enough to disrupt the Nazis. This is very well realised, as are some of the characters but a lot of the rest of it is quite lacklustre with combat being particularly frustrating and luck based. Think I'll probably play through the story but not be too fussed about comleting everything.

Also got Rockstar's Table Tennis which I remember reading rave reviews of at the time. It's pretty difficult to get into but I can sort of see how it might become addictive. Nobody seems to be playing online anymore.
We never really die.

shaolin_monkey

I didn't like The Saboteur much either, and didn't play it very long. However, I was tickled by one of the achievements -'A pint and a shag'.   

Keef Monkey

Just finished Hitman: Absolution, and thoroughly enjoyed it. More than Hitmen previous actually, although I gather the purists feel it's been a bit diluted. Personally I found the stealth incredibly satisfying while never being frustrating, when previous games used to get me a bit miffed at times. Quite a lovely looking game too, with a ton of replay value to get slicker rankings on hits.

I did fall foul of a bug which was supposedly patched back in december (my arse) which crashed the game and corrupted my save file halfway through the game, losing me all my progress, scores, the lot. A pretty awful thing to have happen, so I backed up my save to the cloud regularly second time around and thankfully it went smoothly (knocks wood).

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 17 March, 2013, 06:25:48 PM
'A pint and a shag'.

The number one real life achievement too.  :D

Goaty

Pick out old game that I hadn't play for while, Aliens Vs Predator, that latest one, playing Marine really scary me as always (I hate play against Aliens!)

Dr Feeley Good

Just started sniper ghost warrior 2, only done one level but looks promising. ..

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Half-Life 2: Episodes 1&2

These are basically HL2 bonus levels, and really challenging bonus levels at that. I won't say much about the plot, other than it seems to be an epilogue, a new mystery is presented, and creepy G-man up to his old shenanigans, all in all, setting up for a big finale.

The gameplay mechanics are pretty much the same, but as I've said before, the source engine is a really clever piece of kit. New enemy units are also introduced, amongst which are zombie-combine soldiers who try to suicide bomb you, and new acid spitting ant-lions. Toughest of all though, are the hunter droids that fire explosive flechettes at you, and if they catch you on open turf, they charge and gore you, sending you several feet into the air. On your first encounter with these absolute feckers, you're severely underarmed, and it took me a while to figure out how to deal with them. HINT: [spoiler]Use propane and propane accessories ;)[/spoiler] It's tense and satisfying though.

It has the HL series trademark physics puzzles, including everyone's favourite; the see-saw puzzle. Episode 2 has a particularly satisfying one involving [spoiler]a busted bridge that you half to angle in the right way to make an epic jump in your snazzy motorcar.
[/spoiler]
Slight grumble would be the final big battle in Episode two. If you didn't like fighting the tri-pods in the square in HL2, then this will melt your head. The thing about it this time is; once you figure out effective tactics, the whole thing becomes more of a repetitive chore than an epic battle.

Next up is Black Mesa, a free HL2 mod which recreates the original HL using the source engine.
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

Spec Ops: The Line - Bruce Boxleitner, Jake Busey and Nolan North on the same voice cast?  SOLD.  Not the greatest looker, not the most innovative to play, not very hard, quite short, BUT it's a solid package of a game with a story that's actually really good.  The setting is a big part of the story, as though it's a contemporary take on Heart of Darkness, the vaguely sci-fi mcGuffin of an unexplained permanent sandstorm around Dubai helps create a disjoint between the constant assertions of characters - that help and safety and the world we know is just beyond the storm - and the post-apocalyptic landscape around you.  The makers cleverly instill a feeling of frustration at some decisions being taken out of your hands by NPCs, but time and the game story makes a fool of you eventually as it's all part of the journey the game takes you on, even managing some great touches like when you go "oops" at the white phosphorous bit, the disco shootout, or the clever branching endings, and unlike updates of the material like Apocalypse Now, there's a real sense that your character's grasp on reality is actually tenuous to the point that the outcome of events is unclear - the ending may even come as a spectacular anticlimax depending upon how you decide to act when you get there.

My recollection of the Spec Ops games is that they are shovelware, but this one tries something a little different from the usual third person shoot-em-up without colouring too far outside the lines of the genre's game mechanics, so if you can find it for a tenner or so it's well worth a gander.

CheechFU

bioshock infinite

I'm sorry but radical themes of racism and the american master race do not hide a mediocre shooter

Keef Monkey

Hotline Miami. That game be crazy. Incredibly addictive and oddly disturbing.

On Bioshock: Infinite now and it just looks so gorgeous that I'm constantly being bowled over with lovely sights. Feels very much like the first Bioshock (in fact feels more like it than 2 which was essentially a retread) but the floating city is a masterstroke because where before there was eery claustrophobia now there's...just...man it looks beautiful.

It's the first major PC game I've played since getting my gaming rig set up, which adds to the eye sex.

shaolin_monkey

I'm playing Dragon's Dogma in 360. Got it for about £15 in the Shopto Easter Sale.

It's quite intriguing - it's like Monster Hunter, but instead of getting 3 online friends to help, you have 3 NPC's called pawns. You can select these from a portal, and mix and match them to suit your playing style, or the list you have to beat.

Also, you can choose a pawn your Xbox buddies have levelled up. I did that, but it turned out to be a bit of a mistake. They're all level 70ish characters, which means these early stage monsters are killed by them in one wallop. As a result I'm not seeing much of the tactical element yet.