Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

Anyone working from home, please take care to:

- Not overdo hours. Make a schedule that's close to your standard one
- Take regular breaks
- Where possible, get a decent chair — sit at a dining chair and your back and bum will hate you

Eamonn Clarke

I've started this post several times with a few different reports from the NHS but can't really find the words.

Just this: whatever social distancing and personal hygiene regime you're currently practicing please double it. Really. Step it up again.

That's all. I'll see you on the other side.
Eamonn

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 26 March, 2020, 08:21:53 PM
I've started this post several times with a few different reports from the NHS but can't really find the words.

Just this: whatever social distancing and personal hygiene regime you're currently practicing please double it. Really. Step it up again.

Eamonn

Thanks, Eamonn.

It can't be stated enough: We only get one chance.

Stay safe.

Recrewt

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 26 March, 2020, 09:59:24 AM
I've been under lockdown in Italy for nearly a month now, 5 of us in a small flat - got to keep the little ones distracted or it all unravels. There was a lot of contradictory official information at first regarding going outside. We were allowed out for short, solitary walks in the vicinty of our homes for exercise but this permission was abused and misinterpreted. When the first cases emerged in the village we were ordered to stay indoors unless for necessities, with heavy fines for ignoring this. When I do my weekly shop I have to carry with me a declaration saying that's what I'm doing.

I'm working online and actually grateful for the distraction. My wife is the core of morale keeping us all together. I marvel at her infinite imagination and resourcefulness. The police patrol every day with the loudspeaker ordering us to stay at home so we have to pretend to our 3-year-old it's publicity for the circus (that's how they usually publicise it). Like others here, I've reduced news intake because it was sending me into deep and constant anxiety. My wife gave me the greatest advice, which was the best thing you can do right now is make the situation as good as you can for the kids and that isn't possible in the state you're in. At first it seemed irresponsible to bury my head in the sand re the situation but she's right about keeping the kids happy. Weird how you get into a routine as if all that is going on was the norm.

Wow, I don't envy your situation Ned but that's the way that things are going in the UK.

It's so easy for the enormity of this situation to just overwhelm us.  But I disagree - there is nothing 'burying your head in the sand' about looking after yourself and your family.  That's what many of us have to focus on now.

Steve Green

Eamonn

Definitely.

Take care Eamonn, looking forward to buying you many pints once this is over.

Rately

Eamonn

Take care, Eamonn.

Jim_Campbell

I've offered to put up a tent in the back garden for my wife to live in, but she seemed oddly resistant to the idea.

No pleasing some people!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

paddykafka

Nice one, Jim. :lol:

For those trying to get the right message through to young people, I would recommend the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/9gag/photos/a.109041001839/10160335186801840/?type=3&theater

Rately

Trying to be as positive, non grouchy during this testing time.

Wish I could draw my attention from the news cycle. The footage from Spain and Italy could not fail to move you.

Not a religious man by any measurement, but I'm praying to whatever looks over us that things get better for us all as quickly as possible, and that those people on the frontlines of this terrible tragedy unfolding before us, are going to be supported and shown the proper love and  appreciation when we get to the other side of this. God help them.

Tjm86

Well, if anyone is still feeling a bit glum in these troubling times, I would heartily recommend seeking out footage of Dominic Cummings' departure from Downing Street today as Johnson tests positive for Covid-19.  Hopefully the defining image of his illustrious career.

TordelBack

Ned and particularly Eamonn, my thoughts are with ye.

This is a huge test of how our collective imaginations work: as with climate change I like to think that I have a realist's view of the immediate future, that I've informed myself and run the numbers as best I can, but it's still too much for me to really grasp. When our unflappable CMO Tony Holohan points out where we are on that terrifying graph (the beginning of the beginning), I cock a snook at the still-in-denialists and "why weren't we prepared" crowd that explode daily across Irish social media, but I'm actually not one whit better.  One moment I'm laughing with the kids over some crude bit of wordplay while trying to decide whether to watch a DS9 Season 3 episode or Antman & the Wasp, the next I shake with the realisation that we're all standing on a rapidly-draining beach waiting for the tsunami to rush in, and then it's back to Quark's latest attempt to offload those self-sealing stembolts.

Wouldn't be surprised if Boris had faked a positive result or deliberately infected himself just to find a way out of being the incompetent in the driving seat.  I might do the same.

IAMTHESYSTEM

There are Security guards or Shop workers who are acting as such at all the smaller grocery stores now. You have to queue to get in standing two meters apart. Only two people at once are allowed into one of the local food shops. It is almost surreal, and it reminded me of WW2 films with people queuing outside the Butchers to receive their rations. What a strange future has leapt upon us all, upending the consumerist society onto its head. The peculiar habit of avoiding people, stepping out onto the road, so as not to share the pavement with whoever you're passing. The empty highways, the sound of birds rather than car wheels; all just getting familiar, yet unsettling somehow.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Hawkmumbler

Went to help my 75 year old grandfather (in the early stages of Parkinsons) do a swift weekly shop at Sainsburys this morning, in the pensioner slot. My grandfather is increasingly struggling to cope with heavier tasks, and the staff at our local branch have been very inviting of family and care giver support during the one hour shopping segment. Still had to queue which is an odd feeling but it only took 5 mins, and major props to the tiny lass working the main entrance trafficking folks in and out, and was not at all standing for any abuse. Two lads wanted to get in "just for fags love swear on me babes life" and promptly kicked off seeing me next in line. Don't think i've ever seen a pair of burly security guards so done with someones shit deliver such a swift kicking off the premises, and it was, quiet literally, a kicking. You love to see it.

I like to think people are by and large quiet amicable but I do wonder sometimes.

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 March, 2020, 02:23:42 PMWouldn't be surprised if Boris had faked a positive result or deliberately infected himself just to find a way out of being the incompetent in the driving seat.  I might do the same.

It was said in jest but now we really do have to step back and appreciate the achievement of electing the three worst Prime Ministers in British history in a row: each one somehow topping the one before in terms of incompetence, and the first guy in the chain fucked a pig.
This is a sign from God, and if we elect another Tory PM, the Earth is legit going to get hit by an asteroid.