Main Menu

Rebellion to Continue Line of Graphic Novels without DC

Started by 2000AD Online, 14 April, 2005, 09:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Katooie

"And keep an optical sensor peeled for the complete Judge Dredd Case Files - coming soon!"

GUUUHHH??!!

Grant Goggans

Many of those were printed in the Eagle Comics series "Judge Dredd Crime Files," but they first saw print in a 15-week series of mini-series called The Mega-Rackets.  Blobs, Jimps and Prezzel Logic were three connected one-offs in progs 290, 295 and 304 featuring a gang of "master criminals."

--Grant

Dan Kelly

Just bump this up to the top of the board...

Dan

Art

Of course, the "Complete Judge Dredd Case Files" could simply be a collection of all of Bish-Op?s episodes guides from the Meg...

Actually, as I've said befpre I'd buy Thrill Power Overload, if that ever got collected.

Carlsborg Expert

I think they should pay for their own publishers and distibution in the US now that they have an assured fanbase going on over there.

IndigoPrime

I think they need a fanbase first. The US-based collections sold very, very poorly?why do you think they were canned? Rebellion first needs to raise awareness of its characters, do some marketing (something DC oddly totally failed to do) and then, finally, become the biggest seller of graphic novels in the USA! (Well, one can dream!)

Carlsborg Expert

Every fissure leads to a crack.A crack , a tear.

Every trickle leads to the ocean.

Every thousand mile journey starts with the first step.

If Rebellion are on their own out there,all I was saying was that they should start making their own waves as soon as possible.

Say what you want about fans.Enthusiasm drives them more than money games.

opaque

Weeeee :) Nice to be told things :)

"complete Judge Dredd Case Files" well I'm hoping that it's different from the crime files. Case files to me means anything that isn't an epic or more than 3? episodes long. Been an awful lot of those since the Crime Files were published which would mean more content, maybe giant books of great content!

I still really fancy a 'Future Shock' collection though. I'd love something you can just pop in and out of, could even have them in books of 70's/80's/90's

opaque

And yay I just bought/pre ordered all the remaining ones off Play.

Wake

The Case Files are going to be the Dredd strips reprinted in order, like the Complete Judge Dredd, but collected year by year - so the first book will be Dredd's cases for 2099, then 1978's Dredd stories will be collected as 2100, etc.

Pyroxian

I assume skipping the mega-epics though?

Steve

Grant Goggans

Sweet!  We're finally getting our big fat telephone books!

--Grant

IndigoPrime

Interesting. Brings with it some questions, too:

- Will these be b/w or include colour pages?
- WIll these be Prog-only, thereby omitting the annual and specials stories?
- I wonder whether the "epics" will be skipped over.
- I wonder whether the books will include covers and other "extras", such as interviews with Mills, Wagner and Ezquerra.
- I wonder what will happen when/if they hit Prog  520ish?that's where Complete Judge Dredd fell on its arse, due to various problems relating to not having the original art, and the fact that repro from the actual Progs would be decidedly ropey.

Good news overall, though, and better than cherry-picked Dredd stuff.

The Amstor Computer

Will these be b/w or include colour pages?

Seems doubtful they'd be a mix, and I believe Jamie said any reprints that included the kind of colour splashes that Dredd had would most likely be just left B&W.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though!

Will these be Prog-only, thereby omitting the annual and specials stories?

Hopefully not, though some of the earlier annual stories really aren't worth reprinting, IMO.

I wonder whether the "epics" will be skipped over.

I'd imagine so, but I could be wrong. It would certainly be interesting to see the epics in context. Also, dropping the epics would help keep book length down in certain years.

I wonder whether the books will include covers and other "extras", such as interviews with Mills, Wagner and Ezquerra

Weelll... 5 pages per weekly episode, times 52 weeks is 260 pages of material, so it seems unlikely any substantial extras would be included. Interviews and other features would be most welcome, but seem unlikely.

I wonder what will happen when/if they hit Prog 520ish

Worth considering - though it is about 10 books down the line from now!

Given the quality of the recent Meg & Extreme reprints of Dredd stories from around that period, I'd guess that most of these problems are surmountable. If the books prove successful

I'd be interested to know:

- Will the Case Files be printed at the correct size, or are they going to resized as the Rebellion/DC line was?

- What price point are Rebellion looking at? If they're priced anything like the Rebellion/DC books, somewhere around the ?15 mark seems likely, but if they're to be presented in a different format, this could be substantially higher or lower.

- When's the first one due? ;-)

opaque

Very very nice! Been waiting for that for the longest time.

I think one important thing is that they do keep going, and with Rebellion being the publishers this is going to happen.