Main Menu

Rebellion to Continue Line of Graphic Novels without DC

Started by 2000AD Online, 14 April, 2005, 09:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

If they were going to have an attempt at rproducing the colour in the centre pages, then I think the epics should perhaps be included, as we'll get something slightly different.  

Otherwise, it's not that essential. If they take them out we might get some very odd sized collections.

Anyway, it's good news.

IndigoPrime

:: Seems doubtful they'd be a mix

I agree that b/w is likely up until the point where 2000 AD (or at least Dredd) went full colour.

:::: Will these be Prog-only
:: Hopefully not, though some of the earlier annual stories
:: really aren't worth reprinting, IMO.

I agree, but then I'd argue the same about many early Dredds (and, indeed, plenty of later ones, too). It's either a complete set or it isn't...

:::: I wonder whether the "epics" will be skipped over.
:: I'd imagine so, but I could be wrong.

To me, it wouldn't make sense to skip them, but that would stop Dredd epics being printed, other than recent ones. Then again, Rebellion's solo plans seem to be to concentrate on newer Dredds...

:::: I wonder what will happen when/if they hit Prog 520ish
:: Worth considering

Especially if you read the editorial of the final Complete Judge Dredd or the first Classic Judge Dredd (I don't remember which)...

:: Will the Case Files be printed at the correct size, or are
:: they going to resized as the Rebellion/DC line was?

I'm hoping the smaller size, because they're more manageable, and would fit with my other trades.

:: What price point are Rebellion looking at?

I can't imagine they'd be any different to the other trades. The second Devlin book was the size we're talking about, but in colour, and sold for ?15.99. I'd say a b/w Dredd book should therefore come in between ?11 and ?15.

The Amstor Computer

I agree, but then I'd argue the same about many early Dredds (and, indeed, plenty of later ones, too). It's either a complete set or it isn't...

Fair point. I could see a decision being made to stick solely to the progs, though. I'd be interested to see what they would do if they get as far as the case files for the years when the Meg launched.

To me, it wouldn't make sense to skip them, but that would stop Dredd epics being printed, other than recent ones.

Well, if you're going for a complete "Case File", then it would make sense to include them. From a commercial standpoint, perhaps standalone "Special Cases" editions of the epics would be preferable? What about something like the old Titan Dredd Epic volumes?

For example, how about this as a release schedule for the first five books:

The Judge Dredd Case Files - 2099

Collects "Judge Whitey" to "22nd Century Futzie".

Approx. 200pp

The Judge Dredd Case Files - 2100

Collects "Meet Mr Moonie" to "Firebug"

Approx. 100pp

The Judge Dredd Special Case Files 1 - The Cursed Earth

Collects "The Cursed Earth".

Approx. 170pp

The Judge Dredd Special Case Files 2 - The Day the Law Died

Collects "The Day the Law Died" plus intro episodes.

Approx. 130pp

The Judge Dredd Case Files - 2101

Collects "Punks Rule!" to "Uncle Ump's Umpty Candy".

Approx. 140pp

You can see the biggest problem is the wild variation in book length, from nearly 200 pages down to barely 100, but the current range of Rebellion/DC books have been quite comfortable with similar ranges (Skizz was skimming 100, and Devlin Waugh Vol. 2 was up around 230).

If you include the epics in the years they're supposed to be in, you have another problem - both 2100 and 2101 would be about 270 pages long! Perhaps that's possible, but it seems like a hell of a size for a trade.

Of course, the other issue is that Cursed Earth is apparently still on for release, unless it's been pulled in the wake of the DC collapse. And has the time limit on the Titan reprint contracts run out? I believe that was an issue with reprinting some of the stuff that's only now appearing - are the epics still tied up?

Especially if you read the editorial of the final Complete Judge Dredd or the first Classic Judge Dredd (I don't remember which)...

Classic, IIRC. It's probably also worth remembering that that was written back in 1997. Classic 2000AD was folding, the Meg and 2000AD were floundering and (if memory serves) circulation for CJD wasn't particularly good.

I don't doubt there are still problems with reproducing strips from the 500s onward, but I think that if the will & the market is there, it can be done - though perhaps not to the level of quality of earlier strips.

I'm hoping the smaller size, because they're more manageable, and would fit with my other trades.

Yeah, there is that. I still have some issues with the resizing, and would prefer to see "proper" collections, but if the recent B&W collections are any guide, the strips should reproduce fairly well at a smaller size.

I'd say a b/w Dredd book should therefore come in between ?11 and ?15.

...and if they went the Marvel Essentials route and printed on the coarser, cheaper stock?

Anyway, sorry for gabbing so long!

;-)

davidbishop

IMHO, it makes little sense to omit the mega-epics. Yes, they have been reprinted before, many times in some cases, but to leave them out would create gaping holes in the ongoing narrative.

Happily, scanning technology has made great leaps forward since the pre-digital repro days of late 1996, so coping with colour should be much less of a problem now. For proof, sample some of the recent Dredd reprints in the Megazine - Complete/Classic Dredd could never have produced such results.

Personally, I can't wait for Dredd to get the Essential-style treatment. It was something I lobbied Egmont Fleetway to do in the 1990s, citing the Cerebus 'phone book' collections and Marvel's then fledgling Essential reprint series. Bring it on!

davidbishop

Dudley

Fairly interesting 9th Art article on the deal's collapse.  Also some interesting stuff on why creator's shouldn't interact with fans (reading which made me wonder why the creators seem to have such a smooth time on this messageboard - surely it can't be because Rennie & Spurrier are uniquely well-balanced individuals????)

Link: http://www.ninthart.com/display.php?article=1026" target="_blank">9th Art

Funt Solo

Quote from http://www.ninthart.com/display.php?article=1026" target="_blank">Ben Wooller's 9th Art article:

"like the parliament of a small Asian nation, where discussions tend to break down into slanging matches as the insults grow pettier and more personal the longer they go on"

Hello racism!  Ben's just described the UK parliament, but for some reason thinks that sort of behaviour is limited to a "small Asian nation".

Having read that at the beginning of the article, I find myself hard pressed to respect anything this man writes.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Having said that, I did read the rest of the article and basically Mr Wooller makes no points of any real relevance.

Yes, some of the material has been reprinted before.  So what, they should never be re-published?  That kind of logic suggests that reprints should never be.

Yes, there are bound to be some comic creators with whom one disagrees on an ideological basis.  That is true in general:  there are bound to be some people with whom one disagrees on an ideological basis.  Hardly a great revelation, that.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.

Art

I like the bit where he points out that creators in proper real mediums, i.e. FILM, don't interact with the public online...

GordonR

Except for the guy who wrote the Constantine screenplay, who went onto the Vertigo forums looking for 'Hellblazer reader positive feedback' (ie. a hand-job) about what should be in the then still-unfilmed movie, and ended up in the biggest flame-war of his life.

Richmond Clements

I'm afraid after reading:
When I first discussed my doctoral thesis with one of my supervisors, she suggested I look at the various subcultures found within the comics community. An expert in feminism, the closest she'd ever got to comics was a love of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, a life-sized promotional stand-up of whom dominated her already cramped office.

In the very first paragraph, I couldn't help but think he was a preening self agrandising twat.

ukdane

I have to agree with one point he makes.

Is it really necessary for yet another edition of Halo Jones, Skizz, or DR & Quinch, UNLESS they collect something that the previous editions have missed out?

(Having said that, the completist in me would probably buy them anyway, albeit last on my wants list!)
Cheers

-Daney

Funt Solo

I've got a Halo Jones from 2001 (Titan/2000AD).

So, yeah, you could argue that it's not really due a re-release.

Still, if it's a new format, for a new market, why not?

More importantly, if it sells, then why not?  I'm not saying that from a financial profit point of view:  just a "the more people that get to read it the better".

I was going to say "the more people that get exposed to Halo Jones the better" but I managed to stop myself.  *phew*
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richmond Clements

Well, if an edition sells out, then why not print another one?

The Amstor Computer

"Is it really necessary for yet another edition of Halo Jones, Skizz, or DR & Quinch, UNLESS they collect something that the previous editions have missed out?"

Well, I believe the DR & Quinch book is (was?) supposed to collect the Agony pages that didn't appear in the last Titan collection. Skizz also had the feature about the creation of the tale.

I wasn't too fussed at the reappearance of these particular stories, as the books weren't just aimed at me, but at people who'd never seen many of these stories - especially readers in the US.

Credit must go to the editors - Jamie and Dom - for making an effort to ensure that even when the books did collect material that had been in print previously, it was always backed up with fresher material - Swimming in Blood and Fetish were accompanied by Mouthful of Dust and the text stories, and the more familiar tales in Warrior's Dawn were backed up by Belardinelli stories that had never been collected in a trade.