Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well Season 3 of The Expanse is when it turns from being a decnt Sci-fi show, but with significent issues into a telly show of exceptional quality. I don't think its quite The Wire/Soparanos/Twin Peaks good yet but its just rocketed up to Black Sails good.

The switch in story lines half way through the season basically means you get two mini-series in one. The first quite fantastically wrapping up the storylines from the first 2 season. The last two episodes of which are television gold. The second half is even better with a story that's owes much to 2001: A Space Odyssey and has one of the great episodes of tv when the ship stop moving and their crews devestated. But then the next epsiode is even better... and the final one... well it tops that maybe. Its brilliant stuff and then the (Star) gates are opened and the series finds a potential to travel even further.

I can't wait to see what happens in Season 4 and then its only season 5 and for the first time since The Sopranos I'll be waiting for this stuff to come along. That doesn't seem to happen any more and so if the show keeps up the quality I can't wait!

Jim_Campbell

Just past the halfway mark in S5 of The Expanse, now. It's really good. Can't say much else for fear of spoilers, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pictsy

I lost track of The Expanse when finishing up season 2.  There was all that crap about the future of the series being uncertain and I wasn't keen to get into another situation that I had with Stargate Universe.  I know it wasn't the greatest thing, but SGU had a lot of promise and had the potential to be an all time classic, but was shot dead before it had it's chance.  The Expanse was shaping up to be even better, so you can imagine how I didn't want to go through that again.

After a while, I just forgot about it, but you guys are making me consider returning to it as I loved the first two seasons.  I have to finish Babylon 5 first.  That, by the way, is shaping up to a lot more amazing than I remembered.  Watching it right now is really weird.  As Trump has been attempting his coup in the US I've been watching the parallel cautionary tale play out in B5. My reality is warping.

TordelBack

pictsy

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

wedgeski

Quote from: pictsy on 10 January, 2021, 11:19:57 PM
I lost track of The Expanse when finishing up season 2.  There was all that crap about the future of the series being uncertain and I wasn't keen to get into another situation that I had with Stargate Universe.
I hear you. It's a chewy one, but in the end even if Expanse had finished after S3, I would much rather have enjoyed all those hours of awesome sci-fi than denied myself on the risk that I might not see an ending.

In fact S3 would have been a perfectly acceptable spot for Expanse to finish. Major story arcs enjoy closure all the time in that show. It's a good model for creating epic, long-form, episodic TV that doesn't leave the audience hanging on fundamentals should it suffer an untimely demise.

All that said, Expanse is hugely admired, performs great, and is now on Amazon. I don't see it going anywhere. :)

repoman

Watching the new series of the new Sabrina thing on Netflix.

It's an odd show because it veers from being good to then being annoying to the point where I hate it a lot.  The 'horror' stuff is generally pretty good and has a bit of a Buffy feel to it.  Plus Michelle Gomez is superb in everything.

But it also indulges in a lot of social commentary which is fine but adds nothing to the story and it indulges in tedious musical numbers like once an episode. 

It's one of those shows where I can enjoy it and then I can just sigh and say 'oh fk off' a minute later.

Rara Avis

I think I missed the Raised with Wolves chat but I went back a bit to see what others thought but couldn't find it.

I didn't like it, I thought it was all over the shop. Ridley Scott just seems to be recycling his old ideas into rather shoddy new material. This is how I imagined he pitched it: [spoiler]OK so it's like Terminator but from Terminator 2 but IT'S A WOMAN and she fucks an Alien but like from Prometheus and they have a baby but like on another planet and she fly[/spoiler]

Link Prime

I will never - NEVER - forgive you lot for not highlighting The Terror sooner.

Binged Season 1 there on the (amusingly named) RTE Player over the weekend.
Fuckin hell, what a show.

broodblik

The second season is completely different but still a great story.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Andrew_J

Quote from: Link Prime on 18 January, 2021, 05:57:12 PM
I will never - NEVER - forgive you lot for not highlighting The Terror sooner.

Binged Season 1 there on the (amusingly named) RTE Player over the weekend.
Fuckin hell, what a show.

Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't realise it was available there.

Radbacker

Up to episode 5 of The Stand on Amazon.  Been a long time since I read the book (one of my favourite King novels) and I don't remember much about the the original mini series but this seems pretty good so far, decently acted and some rather horrifying effects for old Captain Tripps.  I do like how they have mixed up the timelines so it's not all end of the world apocalypse for the first few episodes and we get some as we are introduced to each character.  I honestly haven't read the book since I was a teen and due to a lot of living between then and now I can't remember but the all but they seem to be missing a pretty major character what was the Trash Can Mans name? 
Maybe a bit depressing for some as well what with watching a series about a pandemic that wipes out 99% of the population in current times but it does make it all the more relatable.

American Gods is back too, first couple of eps are slow but it's still good even if it has gone a fair bit off book.  Looks like Mr World has been recast as Ms World which is a shame as Crispin Glover was very creepy as Mr World.'

CU Radbacker

Rara Avis

I'm watching The Stand too and mostly enjoying it, seems a pretty decent adaptation of the book so far. Don't worry I understand that Trashcan Man makes an appearance in later episodes.

I've just finished S2 of American Gods - [spoiler]was very sad to see the demise of Mad Sweeney, wonder if he'll make a return at some point or if he's really gone?[/spoiler]