Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "The Enigmatic Dr X"I'm just about half way through Neal Stephenson's The System of the World, which is tops.

Just coming to the end of Quicksilver, which has been a joy. Really looking forward to the rest of the series.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

QuoteNext up is To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip Jose Farmer, I've been meaning to read the Riverworld series for years. It's a shame it took him passing away to get my arse in gear though, but I'm excited about starting it.

I don't think it'll disappoint.  My advice is to stick it out right to the end, it delivers.

QuoteJust coming to the end of Quicksilver, which has been a joy. Really looking forward to the rest of the series.

I don't think it'll disappoint.  My advice is to stick it out right to the end, it delivers.

ThryllSeekyr

While sorting my collections out.

I am reading "The Best of Tharg's Future Shocks", " as it was collected as a  graphic novel just recently.

"Slaine Time-Killer" as it was reprinted in the Megazine a few years back. I remember buying this years ago in Sydney. It was the first time I could read the story entirely. I really like the artwork that chosen to be colorised and reproduced as title pages in each of the six issues.

"Slaine The Book of Invasions". As they were printed in the progs. Not readiing it in any order or even all the way through. So I might be reading "Tara' at one stage and "Moloch" next. The last I was reading was "Scota". I still don't have all of these, So, I have the graphic novels to fall back on incase really want to read it properly.

On subject of going through my colections. It's really abit of knightmare when you have so many of them. Espeically, when you think think some have gone missing from your collection.  I remember the good old days when 2000AD was only the old newspapery Progs, and then there were the "Best Of "Reprints. Now there is "The Megazine", "The Extreme", "Judge Dredd Magazine". Of which there might be alteast three different types of and then all the graphic novel reprints. Whats worse is that they are all worth getting also. As I have been rereading the few that I mamaged to buy.

It was this morning that I was looking for one of "Slaine Time Killer" Megazine issues. Number  204

Of my collection of Slaine Qulaity comcis. I now have quite a pile of these, yet not of them Some of them are doubles or triples.

Alot of these were sold to me  bundled in pairs. Would you beleive that the ones I were looking for this morning were bundled as Issues "Nine" and "Elven".  

Think about it.

What do think the seller was trying to tell me?

Anyway, I managed to find these again.

I also have a copy of "Catch Twenty Two" beside me. Somebody said this was good reading.

Roger Godpleton

Just started Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood, which is exceptionally creepy.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

James Stacey

Im reading my way through a set of early 90s Megs. Is it me or is there a lot of incomprehensable shite in there amongst the gems? I've had to give up even bothering reading the mess of Calhab justice, african judges and Shimura makes no sense whatsoever. I'm I being particularly retarded or was thrill power that low?? I read the meg for its first year and have taken it up again recently but a lot of this stuff is turgid. I have progs 1300 -1400 to catch up on next. Looking forward to that.

Bouwel

QuoteIm reading my way through a set of early 90s Megs. Is it me or is there a lot of incomprehensable shite in there amongst the gems?

It's not you.
This era marked the moment where I silently closed my prog, looked outside and went to discover women; never to re-open a prog until the post 2000's.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

TordelBack

One of the great things about the Meg is that's (unlike the Prog) it's really impossible to be nostalgic for the glories of yesteryear - they're there alright, but they're few and far between.  Like Bouwel I got pretty sick of the Meg in the early 90's, which for a price I couldn't really was boring and confusing me in equal measure.  So many of its stories could have been good (CalHab, Shimura, Harmony) but just weren't.  By which I mean to say the Meg of the 21st century is the best its ever been.

Kerrin

How true. I've been working my way slowly but surely through the meg in an attempt to get up to date without missing any of them and some, if not most of the old stuff from the 90s was utter shite. I'm up to 2005 now and it's just getting better and better. The Simping Detective is an absolute joy and I just (last night) read 237 the 15th anniversary issue with the giant 'Flood's 13' story in it, Henry Flint does Branch Moronians, sheer class.

worldshown

Working my way through Charlie Brooker's Dawn of the Dumb with John O'Farrell's Utterly Impatial History of Britain lined up for a re-read.

However, this sounds like it might be worth a go. Pride and Prejudice...With Zombies!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7985728.stm

Bolt-01

Just read Grendel: Behold the Devil, by Matt Wagner.

This was a long time coming as I bought the issues via mail order from a CShop and they didn't post them till they had them all.

The art is as good as you would expect from Matt Wagner, but the overall story left me feeling let down. Of the two main storylines running through the issues, one of them ultimately served to just allow Wagner to show the over arcing meta plot for Grendel in a series of double page spreads. This told me nothing new and leaves me feeling that Grendel should be left alone now.

Roger Godpleton

Finished reading V this week and am considering another attempt at Gravity's Rainbow. I'll read it all the way through this time, oh yes I will...
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Tjm86

Currently re-reading Stephenson's Cryptonomicon - absolutely hysterical, still one of the best he has done - think I'll have to check out Anathema looking at one or two of the recommendations above.

Working through tooth into the mid hundreds ( early ABC, still brings back fond memories, Disaster 1990 - the most accurately named story in tooth ever? )

Just received the latest two volumes of Barefoot Gen - a history of Hiroshima.  The only manga outside of Akira I have ever read and one that I would heartily recommend to anyone.  Most harrowing comic I've ever had the pleasure of.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "Godpleton"Finished reading V this week and am considering another attempt at Gravity's Rainbow. I'll read it all the way through this time, oh yes I will...

Arh Gravity's Rainbow. I'm normally a pretty stubborn reader but that book gets the better of me every time. That and Kerouac's Doctor Sax and David Mamet's Wilson: A consideration of the sources. One day I'll get um sussed!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Any Neal Stephenson fans got an idea of what Enoch Root is all about? Who/what is he?
Lock up your spoons!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "The Enigmatic Dr X"Any Neal Stephenson fans got an idea of what Enoch Root is all about? Who/what is he?

Far as I know there's no more info beyond what's in the four books - but I find it very hard to believe that Stephenson isn't/wasn't planning to explain him a bit more at a later date.
@jamesfeistdraws