Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bouwel

QuoteJust realised, I'm a total phillistine compared to you lot. You're all, like, intellectuals and junk. Gonna have to think about digging out some of those Dickens booksI never got around to cracking the spines on I reckon

Faplad: If you're reading anything it puts you above the greater majority today. Just read what you enjoy.

QuoteAre the Tornado's any good? I kinda want to get hold of Starlord as it looks to have some pretty good stuff in it but Tornado doesn't seem to hold as fond a memories for people?

I have a complete run of both somewhere in the lock-up. Starlord was pretty good with high quality paper and lots of colour. It introduced Ro-Busters and, regreatably, TimeQuake. Not a bad read.
Tornado was pants. I've read all of them exactly once; when I first bought them. Sitting here I can't remember one thing about them. Never a good sign.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "Daveycandlish"anyone else ever pissed in a bucket in the dark? And then knocked it over?)

Just those few words made me laugh and wince at the same time. I might well check out that book.

I can recommend Cooke's Spirit heightly enough - its brillant.

Noisybast

Finally got round to reading Spurrier's Contract, having owned it for more than a year.
Pretty good stuff, although whether you'll like it probably depends what you think of Si's comic work, as he uses a lot of the same verbal tics and mannerisms, only more so, this being prose.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "Colin_YNWA"
Quote from: "peterwolf"Tornado comic plus various old 2000ads ,comics and various reference books but the time i spend reading is absolutely minimal as doing art takes up a lot of my spare time.

Are the Tornado's any good? I kinda want to get hold of Starlord as it looks to have some pretty good stuff in it but Tornado doesn't seem to hold as fond a memories for people?

It was a comic that didnt quite know what it was and couldnt decide what it wanted to be.

it was trying to be a bit of everything or a mixture of war stories and sci fi and some boys own adventure stories and it never really took off.

I bought a run of them quite cheaply on Ebay because it has an Alan Hebden/Belardinelli strip in it that i was interested in reading.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Bouwel

QuoteI bought a run of them quite cheaply on Ebay because it has an Alan Hebden/Belardinelli strip in it that i was interested in reading.

Ah, was that the rip-off of Dick's 'We can remember it for you wholesale'?
I seem to remember a martian frozen in ice?

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

flip-r mk2

Monthly comics : Hellblazer, The Walking Dead and Captain Britain.

Collections : Just finished JD case files 10, rereading Strontium Dog collections.

Novels : Just finished The Mermaids Singing by Val Mcdirmaid and started A Snowballs Chance In Hell by Chris Brookmyre.

flip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

strontium_dog_90

Hi all, just making my second post whoop whoop  :D

I've got almost the entire collection of Ian Rankin Rebus novels waiting by the side of my bed to read . . .was in two minds about which one to read first, may have to give The Falls number one place since reading here that it mentions 2000ad . . .

Best fact of all, though, is that I got them all for 20p at a library book sale!

stacey

Satchmo/Trout, I haven't been able to get a copy of that one but have read Dracula Cha Cha Cha by Kim Newman and it was the dogs dangly bits!

Fapland - glad you picked up the Fix books I think they are fabulous.

This morning I read Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery a one shot by Moore+Reppion and art by Ben Templesmith, twas really good though a bit light and quick.  I likes the art.

SmallBlueThing

Comics: Prog, Meg, Four Feet From A Rat (if and when it ever comes out again), MWOM.

Collections: Walking Dead (waiting for vol 10- August, apparently), just finished CaseFiles 10, Savage, Origins and Kano this week. Eagerly awaiting Astounding Wolf-Man vol 2, hardback Spider-Man (BND and beyond) and paperback Ult.Spidey, Charley's War.

Books: Currently reading Grennie's Dredd Vs Death nov, have a stack of stuff to catch up on including a couple of unread China Mievilles, a reread of The Trickster by Muriel Gray, the last half of the third David Wellington 'Monster' novel and Pig Island, by her who's name I've forgotten.

Steev

Paul faplad Finch

A lad at work who's been borrowing my Gns for a while now - he plowed through the S/D files in consecutive nights, Rogue too and now has hold of Dredd case files no.1 - turned up at work today with a bulging carrier bag containing the first 9 Horus Heresy books. "To return the favour" he says. He's the guy who lent me Blackguards and wasn't impressed that I'm not impressed. He seems determined to turn me on to the whole Warhammer/40k stuff. "You'll love these for definite" he says. "Dan Abnett's well involved."

He knows me so well. Not sure when I'll get through them all but he's talking about something called Gaunts Ghosts when I'm done. I hadn't realised Dan Abnett was so prolific in the world of prose fiction.

Finished Sandman 6 today. Tomorrow I begin the final Preacher.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

House of Usher

Quote from: "faplad"A lad at work who's been borrowing my Gns for a while now turned up at work today with a bulging carrier bag containing the first 9 Horus Heresy books. "To return the favour" he says.
Guh! "cheers, mate."  :? I once had a chat with some young people in Games Workshop who asked how many Warhammer 40k novels I'd read. I'd read Deathwing, which had been published at least 10 years earlier, and was therefore no longer worth reading because it's old. I'd also read a few Warhammer Fantasy Battle novels and at least one Dark Future, but I can't remember which now. I asked them who was their favourite science fiction author. "Dan Abnett. Who's yours?" I think I said John Wyndham. They'd never heard of him, nor The Day of The Triffids. *sigh*.
STRIKE !!!

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: "House of Usher"I asked them who was their favourite science fiction author. "Dan Abnett. Who's yours?" I think I said John Wyndham. They'd never heard of him, nor The Day of The Triffids. *sigh*.

Abnett is my main man when it comes to comics and my mate knows this cos I tell him pretty much every day but I've yet to sample the delights/dissapointments of his novels so I can't really comment. If you're talking favourites then I'm going for Stephen Donaldson. I could never get into his so called classic fantasies - I gave up on Thomas Covenant after the third attempt saw me slipping into a coma - but his Gap space opera's are bloody good stuff. Not as well known as the Covenant books but far more deserving of praise in my opinion. I couldn't put them down. 15 years since I last read them and I  can still remember where I was when I read certain sections. Must dig them out sometime
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

SamuelAWilkinson

Quote from: "House of Usher"
Quote from: "faplad"A lad at work who's been borrowing my Gns for a while now turned up at work today with a bulging carrier bag containing the first 9 Horus Heresy books. "To return the favour" he says.
Guh! "cheers, mate."  :? I once had a chat with some young people in Games Workshop who asked how many Warhammer 40k novels I'd read. I'd read Deathwing, which had been published at least 10 years earlier, and was therefore no longer worth reading because it's old. I'd also read a few Warhammer Fantasy Battle novels and at least one Dark Future, but I can't remember which now. I asked them who was their favourite science fiction author. "Dan Abnett. Who's yours?" I think I said John Wyndham. They'd never heard of him, nor The Day of The Triffids. *sigh*.

Eeesh. Now, I quite like our Mr Abnett's 2000ad work, and I even enjoy his Gaunt's Ghosts novels from time to time, but that's because I like to read about things being blown up by goodies who win against the baddies. The prose itself is really quite bad, I'm afraid to say. Which is a shame indeed, because I remember some of the old GW tie-in novels being quite readable for that sort of thing.

Any sci-fi fan who's not heard of Wyndam ought to be punched a bit.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Peter Wolf

The Daily Telegraph guide to Castles + Ancient Monuments of Scotland.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death