Main Menu

how many of us are there?

Started by Fleetos, 07 December, 2011, 04:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleetos

Just having a ponder and wondered how many issues a week are sold of 2000ad?

Does anyone know?

Colin YNWA

This question is often asked and the answer seems evasive. I think the last count that was has was 25,000 some ten or more years ago now (this might not be right?).

Not much help I know but hopefully the answer is more and more with all the work that's being done publicizing the Galaxies Greatest

COMMANDO FORCES

Just a mere two years ago I used to pick them up from the print centre located in Telford Road, Bicester and obviously I knew the numbers that were printed but not the amount sold  :think:

Fleetos

I guess we will never know until it's too late  :-X

here's to making it to prog 2000

Emperor

Spread the Word.

The more readers the healthier the title.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

The Adventurer

Hasn't there been a page reduction recently. I recall when I first started reading it was a 32 page comic. Now it appears to be a 28 page comic. Clearly some belt got tightened at some point.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 15 December, 2011, 07:05:27 AM
Clearly some belt got tightened at some point.

Not round the waists of the ageing readership one would imagine...

Hoagy

Us would communicate we're all on a similar wavelength. This is not absolute. I have shaped my own mind in concurrence with 2000ad throughout my upbringing. I'll be shocked to find anybody in the same frame of thinking as myself from such outcome as to where we all sit now as readers.

So We, yes. Us, not so. I stand by the right to be an independent subversive though. Thanks. And as society is want to be I'll be slotted into to a form of ilk. Pity the mass though for it knows no form. Or plan, until told. My plans are within me and I remember someone saying around 20,000 in readership.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Trout

The circulations of printed publications are independently verified by a company called ABC. Registration means they can quote circulation and readership statistics to potential advertisers.

The Galaxy's Greatest Comic appears to have let its ABC registration lapse when it was bought by Rebellion, so the latest figures are 11 years old, and give a circulation of a little under 23,000 copies.

This is a matter of public record, and is available here:
http://www.abc.org.uk/Products-Services/Product-Page/?tid=1724

There's all sorts of depressing reading on that site, if you do a search for other titles. :(

- Trout

maryanddavid

As of about five years ago, I was told (reliable source) it was around 25k.

David

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Adventurer on 15 December, 2011, 07:05:27 AM
Hasn't there been a page reduction recently. I recall when I first started reading it was a 32 page comic. Now it appears to be a 28 page comic. Clearly some belt got tightened at some point.

Prog 1763 was 32 pages. I just counted. I don't think there's been a reduction in page numbers recently?
Lock up your spoons!

BPP

Used to be Dredd 6 pages, everything else 5 pages. Although it has been mentioned recently (maybe unofficially) that Future Shocks should be 4 pages. 3hrillers were 5 pages per episode. Angel Zero was generally 4 pages which was unusual for a regular strip. However it ran beside Indigo Prime which was 6 pages per episode. Flicking through various strips and progs it seems Wagner, Mills, Morrison & Smith get 6 pages per episode while the rest get 5 Probably not hard and fast but a general schema. The use of double-episodes and strips ending at different times has produced an uneven page-count

1748 - (Dredd, SinDex, Savage, Zombo, 3hrillers) - 28 pages new comics
1749 - Double Dredd Edition - 30 pages new comics
1750 - Jump on - 27 pages new comics, 1 New star scan.
1751 - Angel Zero Starts (return to 5 strips) - 26 pages new comics
1751 - settled line-up continues - 26 pages new comics.

In general 26 pages new comics is where 2000AD has been for a while - Prog 1751 is dateline 21 Sept. Going back to 2006, 20th Sept was Prog 1506

1506 - (Dredd, Malone, Stone Island, Banzai Battalion, Dante) - 28 pages new comics (Dredd, Dante, Banzai 6 each, Malone, Stone Island 5 each) - which can be explained by Dante getting 6 as standard back then and John Wagner getting 6 as standard.

If you go back a month to before Dante and Banzai starting you get

1499 - (Dredd, Future Shock, Red Seas, Harry Kippling) - 26 pages (Red Seas had its traditional double-page count finale).

As an aside...1499's Future Shock was Al Ewings  'Gift of the Magi' - probably my favourite FS in modern years. Now I have the prog off, I'm off for a re-read.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd