Doctor Who: Russell T Davies returns as programme showrunner

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 24 September, 2021, 03:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Mardroid

It's interesting seeing all the positive comments concerning Russell's return (not so much on this thread. Here it's pretty balanced either way. More talking about comments I've seen elsewhere on the 'net). I remember near the end of his tenure, how negative people seemed to be, and how they rejoiced in his departure and the coming of Moffat. But now the way people talk, you get the impression RTD's time was a golden age, and his return is applauded.

To be fair, he is the man who brought Who back, and it's not the whole of his run that the negative people dislike, more the later series. Generally seems to be seen as a good ideas man, even then, but concluding the story arcs with ... a wave of the sonic screwdriver,* as it were.

Personally I rather liked his Who, although I did agree concerning the way he would conclude stuff. The whole stuff with companions crushing on the Doctor got a bit silly too.  While I think I largely preferred Moffat as a writer I think his best stuff may have been actually under RTD and he didn't conclude his arcs that much better. If anything I found his stuff rather confusing, although I liked that he brought the time element into his stories more, rather than just using it as a vehicle to get them to a setting for a story.

I haven't particularly disliked any of the other stuff subsequently, even found the Time Child stuff interesting, (and I seem to be well in the minority there) but I have felt it could be much better. I really like Jodie Whittaker's Doctor, but the stories really should have done more with her companions.

I'm interested to see what RTD brings after his time away now that he has so much more experience.

David Tennant's return, if true, does smack a bit as a publicity stunt, but I am interested to see what they might do with him. It appears he will only be around for three specials or so, anyway, so his incarnation would be rather short.

*I don't mean that entirely literally. Although that tool was relied on a lot more than it seems to have been in the old 60s-80s days.