Main Menu

Meg 393 - Hard Rain!

Started by Magnetica, 17 February, 2018, 11:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Every story excellent, even D'eath, extra lube to all the droids!!!  :D
DDT did a job on me

Robin Low

Not often I feel the need to comment on 2000AD or the Meg these days, but I thought it was worth mentioning that I can't really find much fault with this issue.

Dredd was pretty good, both story and art. Lawless is a pretty good story (looking at the battle, I think Abnett's read David Brin's second Uplift trilogy), and I really appreciate the huge amount of detail Phil Winslade gives us. Devlin Waugh has been a pretty good series (I liked the ending) and again I loved the art. Not read Face the Future yet, but I'm sure it's interesting, because the Meg's articles usually are. I did read the Baikie article, though. It's good to see creator's lives and experiences recognised and remembered. Koburn is pretty good - I liked seeing the point made that you can explain or understand something without excusing or justifying it. Movie Dredd is an odd one. I've felt the previous ones have worked, but not so sure about this one so far, although it did give us last month's cover, and that was great.

In response to one of the letters, I'm more than happy to see stories like Wagner's Walk in the floppy. Rebellion have got a huge archive of stuff and not all of it's suited to trade collections. Seeing old comic strips released as comics again seems like a good idea to me.

On balance, I've been getting more from the Meg lately than the Prog.

Regards,

Robin

Fungus

Enjoyable Meg, even if Lawless & Koburn feel a bit 'light' and yet MORE milking of those Dark Judges shows a lack of ideas, nice though Flint always is. Jim Baikie obituary the clear highlight - RIP. The Meg has the space to do these things well.

A.Cow

Quote from: Robin Low on 04 March, 2018, 11:39:57 AM
In response to one of the letters, I'm more than happy to see stories like Wagner's Walk in the floppy. Rebellion have got a huge archive of stuff and not all of it's suited to trade collections. Seeing old comic strips released as comics again seems like a good idea to me.

Fully agreed.  The Megazine is no longer just a sci-fi action comic -- it has established a good reputation for exploring comics history in featured articles; long may it continue.

(Yes, mixing Dark Judges: Dominion with reprints of Ivor Lott and Tony Broke is a bizarre notion, but I'd imagine that two separate titles would be economically unviable.  And Megazine readers are hopefully mature enough to cope with both.)