Main Menu

Need help on what to buy and what not to buy.

Started by CAN1F, 03 March, 2015, 10:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAN1F

Is the dark judges book recent released a ccf or a separate entry

CAN1F

Quote from: Tordelback on 04 March, 2015, 12:02:52 PM
And you're probably right not to buy it. It'll only be the latter part of the book IIRC, and then only a couple of pages per episode.  Maybe 50 colour pages in all? However, for some of us who bought CF1 in a distant age BC (Before Children) the original colour spreads, shiny paper and hardcovers smack of a tasty upgrade - and an indication for Rebellion that we want more of the same.

I will be buying the ccf2 and the cal and judge child cv just bit angry there was no warning on the Websites about upgrades

TordelBack

Quote from: CAN1F on 04 March, 2015, 12:05:32 PM
I  will be buying the ccf2 and the cal and judge child cv just bit angry there was no warning on the Websites about upgrades

"Don't buy our current stock, there'll be something new along in a while and we'll just pulp these ones", that sort of thing? I know Tharg is a benevolent despot, but there are limits to even his corporate largesse!

I suspect the Dark Judges book you refer to may be the small paperback-size digest edition - those stories are indeed in the case files. If you go to the fan-created Barney site you can see under each story which collections it is in.

CAN1F

Quote from: Tordelback on 04 March, 2015, 12:12:58 PM
Quote from: CAN1F on 04 March, 2015, 12:05:32 PM
I  will be buying the ccf2 and the cal and judge child cv just bit angry there was no warning on the Websites about upgrades

"Don't buy our current stock, there'll be something new along in a while and we'll just pulp these ones", that sort of thing? I know Tharg is a benevolent despot, but there are limits to even his corporate largesse!

I suspect the Dark Judges book you refer to may be the small paperback-size digest edition - those stories are indeed in the case files. If you go to the fan-created Barney site you can see under each story which collections it is in.

Pretty much alot of other people do say that the edition coming out later is better and they would of made more money that way

Does Satanus come back to commit the evil deed that is forewarned?

It doesn't look like it is happening  :lol:

Steve Green

Yes, Gordon Rennie writes a Satanus story which unleashes the fury of Pat Mills for using a dinosaur without permission.

TordelBack

There are several candidates for Satanus' Bad Thing. He grows to godzilla-size and chomps school busses in the Termight tube system (see Complete Nemesis Vol 2) and he does something incomprehensible and interminable to Dredd & Co involving dark matter, cultists and what appeared to be the Cenobite dimension (has that ever been reprinted?). Both are by Pat Mills, art on the former by Bryan Talbot, crazy weirdo freak out stuff on the latter by the much-missed John Hicklenton. Neither story is very good, IMHO. Better bet is Satanus Unchained, as alluded to by Steve, by Rennie and the great Colin MacNeil, which is a far better dino-tale but falls short of fulfilling the dread portents - although it came close in the real world.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 March, 2015, 06:18:20 AM
Wow Dark Jimbo that's great. Not seen that before and a very useful response to questions such as this. Is it something you whipped up or discovered elsewhere?

No, made it myself. This question seems to arise a lot and I thought it would be helpful to newbies.

Quote from: CAN1F on 04 March, 2015, 10:27:10 AM
I don't want to buy things to find that I already have it in another book.

Well, the trouble is that you may have to double dip a little to get the whole story of certain characters. You'll need the America trade to get the first story, for instance, but the latter two stories in the trade are also going to appear in the Case Files. Likewise Chopper and the Taxidermist, etc.

Quote from: CAN1F on 04 March, 2015, 12:26:48 PM
Does Satanus come back to commit the evil deed that is forewarned?

It doesn't look like it is happening  :lol:

The big black dino actually wangles a happy ending, but his story continues outside the Dredd strip.

After the town of Repentence was razed to the ground, Satanus wandered the Cursed Earth for a time until getting captured by a travelling circus, Gwangi-style. Their star exhibit soon went predictablly mental, chomping his way through the circus - and capturing the attention of Thoth, son of Nemesis the Warlock, who was scanning time and space for a worthy 'pet.' The alien plucked Satanus out of time to a version of Earth far in the future, where the pair wreaked untold destruction in Thoth's mission of revenge. Satanus soon got increasingly hard to control and so Thoth took a break from his murder spree and took Satanus back to the Triassic age for some fun n' frolics with lady tyrannosaurs. Thoth saw how at home Satanus was here in his natural enviroment and decided it was only fair to leave his beloved pet behind to live out the rest of his life as nature intended.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Steve Green on 04 March, 2015, 12:45:30 PM
Yes, Gordon Rennie writes a Satanus story which unleashes the fury of Pat Mills for using a dinosaur without permission.

Which I guess is the reason its not seen the light of day since (based on nothing other than my speculation) as even Tharg dare not evoke the wraith of Pat Mills. Means you'll have to track down the Progs (1241 -1246) for that one. Its not bad... not great, looks lovely.

As for you Dark Jimbo, well done that man.

CAN1F

Perhaps one of you should update Wikipedia  :D

I find the mega city a fascinating place what would any of you recommend I buy?

Also any of you use kindle versions?

Tjm86

Quote from: CAN1F on 04 March, 2015, 03:31:20 PM
Also any of you use kindle versions?

I picked up the Kindle editions of the first few volumes a few years back when they were having a 99p sale.  Personally I think it did a pretty good job but there is a lot of white space around the edges.  Not sure I would have paid full whack for them though.  Like a couple of other folks I'm tempted by the hardback edition of volume 1.

CAN1F

CAN1F

sheridan

Quote from: CAN1F on 12 March, 2015, 11:43:04 AM
Also what is  judge  dredd volume 1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1613775962

That link is to the collected edition of the IDW monthly Judge Dredd comic (which very few people here like...)

sheridan

Quote from: CAN1F on 12 March, 2015, 11:44:00 AM
Is this the  full  year one book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1781082731

...and that link is to the collected Year One stories (first two previously released as ebook-things together with a third book seeing publication for the first time).  They are not comics, and each story is written by a different author.

CAN1F