Main Menu

Meg 212

Started by ukdane, 20 October, 2003, 02:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

Dredd was fandabby-doozy!

Death, great stuff. It still comes across as horror even when it's being *actually* laugh-out-loud funny (in fact, probably because of it...during the 'comedy' Death era, it just wasn't funny - that's why it sucked).
Yea, I too spotted ol' Charles in Vegas...
Also, what've y'all got against Nikolai? Busted by Dredd the other week, now killed by Death.. poor lad.

Haven't read Devlin yet (I too will do it in one sitting once it's finished)
Haven't read Armitage yet (just haven't finished reading the Meg, I'll get to it soon enough)
Haven't read XTNCT, don't think I read last months yet, so I'll have to re-read the lot sometime too.
Any ideas how many episodes it will be in total?

Apoc Soon - after enjoying the first 2 episodes this has gone downhill & just sucks now.

Charlie - really getting into this, it sucks me in far more then Darkie's Mob did.

Gordon's page - DAMMIT will people STOP slagging off A Life Less Ordinary!! It's bloody good, and if you don't like it then http://www.inaloudervoice.co.uk/rudenathan.jpg"> you.
Grr!
Other then that, it was a very witty piece Gordon.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Leigh S

Mr Barnes - was your comment re the return of Who a psychic premonition, or had you heard by this point?

Trout

Hello.
Have popped back to say: fantastic Meg!

Wasn't Sturm und Dang great fun?

When Grennie had Dredd down the pub, I recalled the time he wrote a story with Dredd on the shitter and wondered, "Whatever next?"

Now we have the answer: Dredd in a wheelchair!
Hooray for stoney-faced people with special needs!

It's hard not to make a direct comparison between 2K and the Meg when they arrive together, and this time I think the Meg is better.

Despite Devlin Waugh. Will it never end?

- Trout

Art

That wheelchair dredd vs Tiger Tank scene filled me with special joy.

Trout

Oh yes, Art. Oh yes.

I also loved the bit where he described his injuries, most matter of factly, then said, "I may pass out soon."

That's the rootin' tootin' tough bastard Dredd we've been missing!

Splendid stuff.

- Trout

Quirkafleeg

>That wheelchair dredd vs Tiger Tank scene filled me with special joy.

That's the bit where I laughed out loud...

Proudhuff

One of the best Megs for a bit.

Nice cover, don't normally go for Simon's stuff but this works.

Dredd? Ja Hole mine hair! This is ss Dredd should be, an occasional one-off story with Major Easy, sorry, Koburn would be good. Every page had something good, best bit: the silence between Dredd and Koburn.

Death in Vegas: Good to see what's happen to Vegas, I didn't spot Fort but I did spot, I think, Dante and the 3 stooges.

Devlin, I can't believe it the story is moving on! no idea who that is they met at the end.
Did someone say they flicked over this story? ooer!

Harry 20:Why would the andriod wait so long to reveal its self...?

Charley's war, great stuff even better artwork, the digging of the mass grave shocked me, could you imagine that now:  'This is CCN enbedded with the troops who are digging massgraves for their fellow soldiers here in Iran'. We may bulldozer their conscripts but never this...

Battle story: I'll keep that for on the bus ;)

Extinct: fabby, but a nuke strike fi a glider?
 not on my watch!

Armitage: I like him and the stories, doesn't this appear a bit like the recent Dredd in Brit-cit story? Girl in danger fi nutty religious types?

A poke of chips now, okay, some nice digs

Der Foo Reur Huff

DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

I quite enjoyed this Meg despite having some reservations about the odd strip.

Mister Rennie's DREDD script was very funny and hit all the right buttons for me.  I love the art as well but I still think that Carlos only takes half of the time he used to on stories.  Whatever happeneed to his gorgeously squirly panel borders?  And the layout seemd a bit flat and lifeless for me.  There's one double page spread where almost identical pictures of Kobunr lie uneasily side by side.

Devlin Bore has gone on far too long and I confess I've completely lost track of all of the charcters and the original witty ideas.

Charley's War was top stuff - I can't believe I stopped getting Battle before this beauty turned up.

Harry 20 - more great stuff.  I particularly like the fact that the villins are set up quite well. It's not just Harry vs a one dimensional brutal guard; he's got to worry about the Warden, the guards, Big Red one and Toady.  How many modern stories have a similar roster of villains?

BATTLE article - I didn't find this as involving as I thought I would - probably because this month it covered ground after I'd stopped reading. However, overall it's a good companion piece to Thrill Power Overload and I loved seeing some of those old covers again. Thanks, Mister Bishop.

Armitage - I thought the gaudy colours spoiled the lovely art and the story hasn't exactly intrigued me yet.  I never did like Armitage though so I may struggle with this one.

XTINCT is great - I thought it was a fine example of how to deal with the self referential irony that plagues comics (and other media) today.  And it also proves that there's something up with Devlin as these short (nearly standalone) episodes live the same distance apart but manage to keep the overall arc going.

Strangely, the DEATH story has wandered beyond my attention span as well.  I'll get lynched for this but I don't think the art is helping me out.  I like Mister Irving's art normally but I'm just not connecting to it this time.  And I don't like being inside Death's thought process - he has such crap unscary thoughts for an alien superfiend.

I was about to suggest they could replace Gordon's biit with a "Choice Cuts from the 2000AD forum". I still piss myself laughing thinking about Art's response to whoever was banging on about "racist" hobbits and think that should be shared with a wider audience ("Yeah, they just want to kepp themselves to themselves and do the gardening, the bastards"). But given the level of childish and peurile stuff that's been posted recently and the fact that Gordon's column was quite enteraining this month, I'll hold off on that suggestion.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Art

I'm going to miss the Battle articles. I'm hoping for an Action based follow up, but who knows if tahts going to happen...

petemaskreplica

I'd like to see one about the 80's Eagle.

Art

Good call, that would be great. Even if it was a single part article it'd be quite interesting, with maybe a few more single parters about other more obscure titles such as Scream

Probably not going to happen, especially in the case of material that Rebellion doesn?t own and 2k only has a tenuous connection with, but we can dream...

Dudley

Haven't we still got the Megazine history to go?

Alan Barnes

"I'm going to miss the Battle articles. I'm hoping for an Action based follow up, but who knows if tahts going to hap"

I think the Action story is a pretty familiar one - we've gone over the ground in both TPO! and BBA! *If* we do more of this sort of thing, I suspect it'll be as one-off instalments, not multi-part series.

The next ongoing feature series starts in 214, and it won't be a behind-the-scenes history ...

Alan

paulvonscott

"Harry 20:Why would the andriod wait so long to reveal its self...?"

Well, he would wait until they've definitely been tracked and located by the sluggers.

I've read Harry Twenty before several times and it's STILL the first thing I'm turning to, to read.  A simple basic premise with strong characters and plenty of twists and turns.

Charlies War is the best thing in the Megazine with more humanity in a four page strip than most other comics have in a series.  Again, I've read the early ones (reprinted in the titan books) before, but enjoying them again, anmd hope theres some I havn't read coming up eventually.

The Battle story has been okay, certainly of interest anyway.  As I don't think they have the rights to reprint other comics I doubt they'd do an article on them.  2000AD was the best of the titles and seems to have the best stories to go with it.

longmanshort

I've read Harry Twenty before several times and it's STILL the first thing I'm turning to, to read. A simple basic premise with strong characters and plenty of twists and turns

Hear, hear. Certainly look forward to it the most, even more than Xtinct. More GFD!
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++