Main Menu

The gentle art of movie reviewing…

Started by Jim_Campbell, 23 July, 2015, 05:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Just in case this hasn't made its way across any of your social media feeds yet, sit back and enjoy all ten invective-filled minutes of this review of Pixels.

TL;DW: he didn't enjoy it very much.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dunk!

Whoa, lotta middle-of-the-fence grey area there.

Cheers for that.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Famous Mortimer

I do like how he kept his Patreon link up there throughout the whole review. Well, I presume, I only watched the first minute. I guess it didn't change much for the next nine.

EDIT: I made it to 1:22 and the point of his invective becomes clear. He really really loves the games that Sandler and co are fighting against and is sad that his memorabilia is tainted now. Plus, he saw how amazing that Red Letter Media takedown of "Jack And Jill" was. I presume, with 800,000 views, he cares not for my opinion though (my last review got about 100 views, so there's jealousy on my part too :) ).

shaolin_monkey

Well, I guess that's another film I'm not going to bother with.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on 24 July, 2015, 07:03:15 AM
I do like how he kept his Patreon link up there throughout the whole review. Well, I presume, I only watched the first minute. I guess it didn't change much for the next nine.

EDIT: I made it to 1:22 and the point of his invective becomes clear. He really really loves the games that Sandler and co are fighting against and is sad that his memorabilia is tainted now. Plus, he saw how amazing that Red Letter Media takedown of "Jack And Jill" was. I presume, with 800,000 views, he cares not for my opinion though (my last review got about 100 views, so there's jealousy on my part too :) ).

Or maybe he thought it was worse than rubbish, like every single other reviewer..?

Famous Mortimer

Does anyone expect anything different from a 2015 Adam Sandler movie? To the point of a hate-filled 10 minute rant?

"I was shocked, after reading the first two, that the third '50 Shades' book had S&M in it! Shocked!"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on 24 July, 2015, 11:16:34 AM
To the point of a hate-filled 10 minute rant?

Then why did you click on the link?

Honestly, I described it very clearly as a sweary, negative review of the new Adam Sandler movie that went on for ten minutes. To click on the link and then get sniffy because what you found was... a sweary, negative review of the new Adam Sandler movie that went on for ten minutes seems a bit bloody-minded to me.

The reviewer does actually go on to pull apart various plotting and characterisation deficiencies but, really, I was just amused by the stamina and the sustained inventiveness of the invective.

Cheers

Jim

Famous Mortimer

Christ on a fucking bike.

*eats bullet*

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on 24 July, 2015, 11:32:44 AM
Christ on a fucking bike.

Sorry, I just don't quite understand why you're moaning that the clearly described content of the link was as described.

Jim

von Boom

Clearly the reviewer has a few concerns about Pixels.  ::)

Dark Jimbo

The only surprise here is that there are people in this world who are/were thinking 'The new Adam Sandler movie looks good.'
@jamesfeistdraws

JamesC

I help to organise a free video game festival each year and, as a result, my friends little boy wants me to go and watch Pixels with him and his dad.
I'll no doubt end up going along despite the fact that I'd never normally watch an Adam Sandler vehicle. I have no doubt the ten year old will enjoy it though.

CrazyFoxMachine

I tell yer I've watched a few other of his reviews after seeing this (before this thread was started actually SORRY JIM) and it's genuinely pleasing to see a critic who's clearly been plumming away at this to relatively little attention suddenly go viral in this fashion. I disagree that it's simply all swears and vitriol - much like Yahtze's Zero Punctuation his hyper-fast reviews are actually quite incisive and well-observed.

Subscribed, I'm watching more of this feller.

TordelBack

Yup, enjoyed this inventive disembowelling so much I've been watching a pile of Magic Bob's stuff - he's a bit too satisfied with his own Media Studies cleverness on occasion, but with a lighter zippier approach than Red Letter Media and a willingness to enjoy silliness where he finds it, I approve. Cheers, Jim!

ThryllSeekyr

After seeing the trailer for this before watching Anti-Man  I got the distinct impression that they are just emphasising the lameness of being a computer-gamer.

This really sinks in when they introduce the gamer-leading men.