Main Menu

Prog 2068 - In Cold Blood!

Started by glassstanley, 10 February, 2018, 03:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

An enjoyable prog I thought.

I enjoyed Dredd but I think MC needs to do a bit more work on characterization. Dredd himself isn't given much personality in this story and everyone else is just a cardboard cut-out. The villain should have been a memorable character but in the end was just an obstacle they needed to get past - he may as well have been a high wall or a bomb that needed de-activating. The same goes for the Sov guy who was apparently a returning character - but as he has no character I didn't remember him and probably won't if he turns up again.
It's a shame because I liked the setting and the mood and plot of the story was all fine.

I really enjoyed both ABC Warriors and Savage. It's not high-art but I think Pat writes fun OTT adventure stories and he picks great artists to work with - both strips look fantastic. Quartz is a really fun villain.

Brass Sun doesn't and never has done it for me. Get Culbard back on Brink!

Bad Company looks great and has a fun yet dark mood - in some ways it captures what made it great in its heyday. Just a shame the story isn't very engaging.

A.Cow

Quote from: JamesC on 15 February, 2018, 09:58:09 AM

I just don't get the love that people have for INJ Culbard's art.  It's far too minimalist for my liking.  I appreciate that everyone will have their own taste, but I don't feel the Culbard style suits action sequences or the pace of weekly storytelling.

JamesC

Quote from: A.Cow on 15 February, 2018, 10:37:25 AM
Quote from: JamesC on 15 February, 2018, 09:58:09 AM

I just don't get the love that people have for INJ Culbard's art.  It's far too minimalist for my liking.  I appreciate that everyone will have their own taste, but I don't feel the Culbard style suits action sequences or the pace of weekly storytelling.

I like it. Most importantly you can tell who everyone is and where they are in relation to each other. His story telling is really good and he has a great sense of design. Some lovely use of colour too - those bits in the last series of Brink where the woman was sunbathing were stunning. Even more so in comparison to  the coldness of the space station and space in general.

Magnetica

I used to think  D'Israeli's art (his Scarlet Traces style ) and INJ Culbard's art were too minimalist. Then I watched an episode of From the Drawing Board which showed how D'Israeli produced his pages. Since then I have viewed the art produced by both of them differently and have come to like them.

They are both clear and convey what is going on in the story.

The Corinthian

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 February, 2018, 12:15:47 PMNobel did indeed invent both dynamite and gelignite and reputedly set up the prize to assuage his guilt on the matter.
Psychologically speaking, this is not a million miles from someone creating a really successful war comic and making penance for that by writing a long-running strip about the horrors of the First World War.

Richard

Except that war comics don't actually kill anyone.

(Unless you roll one up and hit someone really, really hard with it.)

Tiplodocus

Enjoyable but ticking over... nothing less than good but nothing that leaps off the page and bites my face off.

I genuinely couldn't work out what I was looking at on the big image on page 1 of Brass Sun. Odd because everything else is crystal clear story telling.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!