Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: WhizzBang on 03 February, 2019, 12:28:37 PM
Thanks. The strip name probably has nothing to do with SY then.

The Brass Sun story "Motor Head" has got to be named after the legendary band though, at least.

Quote from: Frank on 15 December, 2018, 04:55:56 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 December, 2018, 04:44:34 PM
Quote from: Frank on 15 December, 2018, 04:04:40 PM
I've never seen the UK A Star Is Born rip-off Breaking Glass

I've a vague memory of that song from the first time round. Don't think I've heard it since.  I love it. I'm going to listen to it now as I clean my boat.

The most interesting thing my rabbit hole dive turned up was that the US release of the film ends on that scene and the triumphant note it strikes.

The UK version ends with the main character leaving the stage to find the band have broken up, her relationship's over, and her management have conned her into selling out. She suffers a nervous breakdown on the tube and ends the film drooling in a sanitorium!

Two cultures, divided by more than our common language.

Eh, there are plenty of great US movies that end on a down note. And I don't feel we're particularly divided, as far as cultures go. But every culture has differences.

PsychoGoatee

Plus you're talking about a movie edit from 1980. These days if a downbeat drama gets distributed from overseas, they're a lot less likely to tack on a happy ending. Along with a lot of other reasons why I find that kind of "us vs them" generalizing mentality to not really apply much.

A.Cow

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 03 February, 2019, 10:21:26 PM
The Brass Sun story "Motor Head" has got to be named after the legendary band though, at least.

Three of the other Brass Sun story titles seem to be references to highly-regarded sci-fi/fantasy titles:

The first storyline doesn't fit this pattern, although there is a spurious link to fantasy author Neil Gaiman:

And yet, aside from the band, the only other famous Motor Head seems to be a fella from Frank Zappa's band.

sheridan

Quote from: A.Cow on 05 February, 2019, 02:40:03 AM

And yet, aside from the band, the only other famous Motor Head seems to be a fella from Frank Zappa's band.

Originally Motorhead was a song written by Lemmy while he was in Hawkwind (the subject of which is speed).

Dandontdare

Quote from: sheridan on 05 February, 2019, 10:12:37 AM
Quote from: A.Cow on 05 February, 2019, 02:40:03 AM

Originally Motorhead was a song written by Lemmy while he was in Hawkwind (the subject of which is speed).

One of my favourites - gotta love a song that manages to rhyme "parallelogram"!

QuoteFROM: https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-behind-the-song-motorhead-by-motorhead

...with a song that Hawkwind dismissed as no more than a B-side, he had the template for a new band. Having teamed up with guitarist Larry Wallis and drummer Lucas Fox, Lemmy originally named his new band Bastard. But, as he recalls: "A friend told him: 'You probably won't get a lot of Top Of The Pops action with a name like that.' So I went with Motörhead."

PsychoGoatee

For sure, I enjoyed two Lemmy books over the last year or so, his autobiography and the later biography called Lemmy. I think his band is legendary enough that it'd be quite tough to name something that without it being a nod. Plus Lemmy has even been featured in 2000AD.

Leigh S

And Edgington was only the other day on the 2000ad thrill cast talking about his love of Heavy Metal (and the Iron Maiden comic he has has been involved with?)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 05 February, 2019, 04:47:11 PM
For sure, I enjoyed two Lemmy books over the last year or so, his autobiography and the later biography called Lemmy. I think his band is legendary enough that it'd be quite tough to name something that without it being a nod. Plus Lemmy has even been featured in 2000AD.

I seem to recall a photo of him eating a prog.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 05 February, 2019, 04:47:11 PM

PsychoGoatee

Jacqusie

Bryan Talbot's Grandville and The Adventures of Luther Arkwright

...must have been an Open all Hours fan our Bryan...

Did he do anything based on Nurse Gladys Emmanuel I wonder?  :)

pert

GIs and Dolls was obviously a reference to Guys And Dolls

sheridan

Quote from: pert on 05 April, 2019, 01:08:38 PM
GIs and Dolls was obviously a reference to Guys And Dolls

In the same era of Rogue, all the following are titles I wouldn't have recognised at the time, as I hadn't come across the original being referenced:

• All Hell on the Dix-I Front
  • Frisco Fog
  • From Hell to Eternity
  • Gasbah
  • M for Murder
  • To the Ends of Nu-Earth