Main Menu

Anyone seen Hellboy yet ?

Started by Conexus, 04 September, 2004, 01:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art

Wow... the CAP Alert review is great!

Link: http://www.capalert.com/capreports/hellboy.htm" target="_blank">melting flesh gore!

Mr D

Seen it, thought it was awesome, continue to worship at the Del Toro alter.

Anyone else could have seriously f*cked this up

The Monarch

ESCUBRIA

Thought Hellboy was good but really not great which I was hoping it would be, don't think we needed the nerdy guy to introduce us to THE WORLD and the pacing and direction was seriously off in many of the scenes and even the performances, flat delivery etc... not to mention the anticlimax at the end: after Hellboy defeats the main baddies, Rasputin and the gods, he has to defeat the slightly minor baddie inside Rasputin. Kinda felt flat. Should have ended with a bang instead of a whimper.

Generally Contrary

"Amen"

Sorry, I thought this was a response to the CAP review.

ming

Saw it in Norway a couple of weeks back.

Fine, but not that memorable, and the main problem for me was the romantic subplot - aaarrrgggh - whyyyy?

Design wise: fantastic; characterwise: great (except side-kick agent), and putting aside the romance, it more or less retained the feel of the original idea, as far as I'm concerned.

Worth seeing, but a little disappointing...
...unlike Farenheit 9/11 which was quite overwhelming.

Generally Contrary

DOGEBALL!!!!!! (Stan Lee punctation)

I heard that the human agent, Thaddeus or whatever, wasn't in the early drafts of the script, but was added on the advice that the audience need someone to identify with.

I thought that was meant to be Hellboy.  Or even Abe.

But that wiener?

ESCUBRIA

Well, I can identify with Hellboy more than the guy who's name I haven't even remembered. He tended to get in the way, needing to be saved and not doing much that was useful, more to distract. We kind of lose Hellboy in a way and it's his film. It would have been a great character coup to basically see the film from Hellboy's POV rather than anyone else's, a mainstream audience rooting for the devil!

Art

Hurrah! I saw it last night, and it duid indeed have "impalement with squashing death", an "unholy being rising from the blood of a murder" and "monstrous demon action violence", as well as Ron Perlman painted red beating the shit out of the forces of evil with a big stone fist and saving boxes of kittens.

It's really captured the feel of the comic as well, they've made a real effort to follow mignolas design sense, and assides from Agent Nobody (who stays out of the way for the most part) they've made no attempts to mess with the material.

I'm not a fan of CGI fight scenes, and it looks like they did the computer graphics on the cheap, but whenever they're doing something thats actually real and physical the film looks great, Ron Perlman painted red and the clockwork nazi assasin especially.

It loses points for being mildly anticlimactic and strangely muted in all the scenes that should be the most! exciting! but remains very likebale.

It was about time Ron Perlman was in a decent movie - the guys great, but he seems to appear in an awful lot of shit (See also: Rutgeur Hauer)

Generally Contrary

I was trawling the second-hand video shops in Cardiff last week and it seemed that every second tape featured Rutger Hauer in some form of another.  A man of the (unwanted) video era.

Art

I still treasure my  Wedlock / Spilt Second double bill I got for about two quid - Its a video era gem! And blind fury, which totally rips of a japanese film and makes it into an 80s action flick before that sort of thing was considered "cool" and with none of your ironic postmodern referencing at all.

ESCUBRIA

Salute of the Jugger.

I'll say no more.

ESCUBRIA

Weren't John ford, Akira Kurosawa, and Sergio Leone all ripping each other off before anyone these days.

Generally Contrary

GrudAlmighty

I saw this today, at the cinema, for free! And I thought it was excellent, ranks up there with the likes of Spidey, X2 and not down there with LXG and Dredd.

Overall Grud-O-Rating: 49. Out of what? Nobody knows...