Main Menu

'That' film is in a new box-set.

Started by Bolt-01, 01 November, 2003, 04:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESCUBRIA

That "accent" began to emerge about 20 years ago around south Dublin, namely: Dalkey to Foxrock, it slowly spread its tentacles across the city and further - I've now heard it spoke from Portmanock right down to Enniscorthy.

Generally, the accents of people around the centre of Dublin 4 are quite genuine and are just about proper pronunciation, it's when people become completely incomprehensible when they speak, that's the problem, and that's when you can tell it's been affected and not genuine, a cross between an American accent, a posh Dublin one and a horse, and it is HORRIBLE.

If Farrell's parents speak with a regular Dublin accent well then I'd say fair enough, his accent could be genuine, kids generally sound and speak the way the household does, unless someone chooses deliberately to change it.

In fact I know plenty of people from Castleknock who speak like Farrell and it's the accent they grew up with, I think it's more farrell's faux loutishness that bugs people, not the accent. After all, he's still just a poncy actor -maybe he can't handle that thought.

Trout

I enjoyed Daredevil and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as throw-away Hollywood fluff. They're not fantastic, but I could watch them again on a rainy afternoon and be entertained.

Proabably the only comics film that annoys me is the Dredd one, as it changes so much of the essence of the character. But, again, as a Hollywood offering, it wasn't all bad, IMO.
It was never going to be as good as the comic, was it?
I suppose From Hell is a bit more shite, but pretty much falls into the same category.

As I'm always saying round here, my favourite comic films include Unbreakable - for the mood and the lovely pay-off - and Mystery Men, which is sheer genius.

"I shovel well. I shovel real well."

But I've also enjoyed both X-Men and Spiderman films.

- Trout

JayzusB.Christ

Point taken, Castleknock is not as posh as Killiney, Dalkey etc., and maybe Colin Farrell really does talk like that. Just practising the standard Irish begrudgery of success which is my God-given right. While I'm not totally convinced by his bad-boy druggy image, he's a bloody good actor and stole the show in Daredevil. And I've met the bloke who shot him in 'Intermission'. Also, I'm genuinely curious - was Bullseye Irish in the comics? I only read the Frank Miller graphic novel, and can't remember it.
'Me haaands! They took away me haaaaands!'
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mike Carroll

Ah, guys, guys...! Enough with the Killiney and Dalkey bashing! As a former postman who worked in that area I can tell you that there are parts of both Killiney and Dalkey where someone is considered posh if they can speak a whole sentence without using the F-word, and where if a girl isn't pregnant by the time she's fifteen she's ostracised for being a snob.

Granted there ARE parts that do deserve the "West Britain" label, but that's true of pretty much everywhere in Dublin.

But getting back to Colin Farrell's accent... At times it's pretty ropey, but he's still far, far better than any Americans attempting to do the same. Consider Richard Gere in The Jackal, Michael J. Fox and Lea Thompson in Back to the Future Part 3... Not good! And now consider Joe Virtelli in Shallow Hal - surely the worst "Oirish" accent ever? Or can anyone think of a worse one?

- Mike

Slippery PD

Sean Connery in the Untouchables....

Slips

Trout

Can I mention Sean Connery's total lack of effort on his accent in The Untouchables?

Not that it matters! I love that film.

- Trout

Quirkafleeg

"What about the Untouchables?"
"I don't rate that at all."
"Despite the Acadamy Award?"
"That means fuck all; it's a sympathy vote."

Conexus

"Can I mention Sean Connery's total lack of effort on his accent in The Untouchables?"

Shouldn't that read

Can I mention Sean Connery's total lack of effort on his accent in any of his films at all.

He sounded identical in Highlander when he played a Spaniard
He sounded identical in a film I saw where he played an Arab
I'm sure he's played lots of over forigners with the same accent of his, unbending as a steel girder in the breeze

Mr C

But if he put on an accent, we'd all notice and complain wouldn't we?

paulvonscott

Can't we get George Lucas do do a spcial Edition of the Dredd movie ;)  He can do what he likes with it as far as I'm concerned.  Stick some ewoks in, the lot.

Tordelbach

By far the best suggestion of the day!  You could get Ian McDiarmuid to redub Stallone's lines for a start.  Instead of "I knew you'd say that!" we could have "Everything is proceeding excactly as I have foreseen it".  

Trout

Genius!

Dredd, ewoks, Jar Jar and we're there!

- Trout

VampiraJen

a russian with a scottish accent in the hunt for red october always confused me...if he cant to different accents he's not much of an actor...i never rated him very highly in the first place......

Grant Goggans

I *loathed* Ghost World.  Enid is such a horrible, clueless person I just could not care less what happened to her.  She can't even hack it boxing popcorn at the movie theatre - she's the person who, in the real world, actually makes your moviegoing experience miserable, and we're supposed to care about her class project at summer school?

It's like making a movie about the idiot who takes a call on his cell phone two rows away or brings their six month-old baby to the movies or put mayo on your sandwich when you didn't order it.  I don't want to see movies about them either.

Mystery Men, however, was wonderful.  Hellboy, X-Men 2 and both Spider-Man films as well.

--Grant

Mr C

It's GOLD!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/zomfonz/dreddmov.jpg">