Main Menu

Dragon Quest

Started by VampiraJen, 17 April, 2006, 03:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VampiraJen

looks like the new tomb raider is already yesterdays news.  the new game blowing every one away is the new dragon quest game.  been playing it for a day and am officially obsessed with it.  it's got character designs by the guy who did dragon ball z, a character who's kind of like a really camp yoda, a bad guy with the best name ever (Dhoulmagus)and a lot of rock solid RPGing.  it's a joy to play.  check it out

Link: http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/dragonwarrior8/review.html" target="_blank">gamespot review

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d9/Dragon_Quest_VIII_Japanese_Box_Art_Fairuse.jpg/200px-Dragon_Quest_VIII_Japanese_Box_Art_Fairuse.jpg">

Aaron Smurf Murphy

And it only took over 18 months to get here!

Finn Sinn

The Amstor Computer

Euro localisation on such a text-heavy project must be a mind-fuck, though. IIRC, aren't most PAL releases now published in up to six languages? You can certainly see why a title like DQVIII might take a little while to make it over here...

(of course, none of this denies the fact that PAL gamers are still getting the shitty end of the stick when it comes to game releases :-( )

Aaron Smurf Murphy

Fair point but bloody hell, 18 months to translate a product into several euro languages when Square has a Euro HQ and a history of dealing with the market? Surely it should've taken a year tops?

Ah well, it's here now. Personally I'm still buying DS games a plenty.

Finn Sinn

Bico

My brother smashed this to bits rather than take the chance he would ever play it again.  Apparantly, it got to a certain point in the game, then it all went downhill at a 90 degree angle and became the most frustrating RPG he's ever played, putting him off the genre for a full two months (at last count).  I wouldn't mind, but he's hogged the PSP and Daxter.
To put the 'frustrating' thing in context, he's played and finished every Final Fantasy game at least twice, ditto Wild Arms (even part 3), the Xenosaga games (including Xenogears for the PS1), the .Hack games, the Shadowhearts games, and god knows how many badly-translated text-heavy snooze-marathons that any sensible person wouldn't touch with a bargepole - not an RPG newbie by any means.

I suspect a murder-spree may be coming to your little island soon...

VampiraJen

well, i still like it...

jen goes all pouty coz no one shares her taste in games....

Roger Godpleton

I'm currently plowing my way through. It's fun, but the learning curve is non-existent, meaning about 2 thirds of my time is spent levelling up. And yes, I hate PAl shafting.

Can I play imported ds games off the shelf?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Aaron Smurf Murphy

Yes, handheld hardware is difficult and semi pointless to put region barriers on. Any DS game will work on your machine the only real barrier is language.

Also, in some circumstances (but not always) copies of the same game from different regions haven't allowed wi-fi play. I remember a guy with a JAP DS trying to connect to a Wi-Fi Metroid game with me and two other blokes with no luck. It's rare though and only affects local wi-fi gaming (if you connect to the net there's no problems)

I imported Advance Wars DS about 2 weeks before UK launch because I was too impatient.

Finn Sinn