Main Menu

Ka-Pow 2000AD panel review

Started by judgerufian, 11 April, 2011, 12:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgerufian

This Saturday and Sunday saw the Ka-Pow comic con hit the Business design Centre in London and the go to event for me was always going to be the 2000AD panel on saturday morning. It was attended by Brendan McCarthy, Steve Yeowell, Chris Weston, Jock, Al Ewing, Dave Gibbbons (better late than never!) and chaired by Mat Smith.
We were entertained by 45 minutes of discussion about the history of how each panel member got into the 2000ad stable, their memorable stories (honorable mentions for the Graveyard Shift and the Charley Ro-busters story) and their opinions on the current state of the prog. we were also treated to some images from McCarthy's upcoming The Walking Dredd, a Simon Fraser Nikolai Dante splash page and some Ezquerra Young Anderson and Cursed Earth Koburn as well as Henry Flint's Obmoz from Zombo Part 3, described with glee by Al Ewing.
We then had some Q&A which was heavy on the new Dredd film which Jock described as very good and very violent as he had seen some footage so its safe to assume it will be good and he cast out the infamous Lawmaster pic as looking much better when filmed properly ie not a leaked snapshot for all you non-believers!
Completely fanboy moment for me was asking Brendan McCarthy when he draws Dredds helmet so differently and his answer was great to hear, as he wanted to create a discinct style after following Bolland and McMahon on Dredd (obvious really!) and had some design tips from his Samurai helmet observations. Thanks Brendan!
The rest of the convention was quite queue heavy as has been mentioned but top marks to all the script and art droids who came along as they were very approachable and very friendly.
Thanks to Matt for also wearing the Tharg mask when I asked him for a photo, my brother will be soooo jealous!