Main Menu

Prog 2139 Sympathy for the Devil (Aneke cover)

Started by matty_ae, 06 July, 2019, 02:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

That Dredd was a classic.. oh could be a new ancillary character..... nope. Still a facist brutalist state folks. Love it. Oor Ken has that Wagner knack of making you love the strip and MC1 while ramming home how unjust it is. Brilliant.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

IndigoPrime

Hints of Baike art about that, I thought, or perhaps it's just remembering that strip where Dredd gets back from Oz and also ends up in a hospital bed. But, yes, that was fab.

Frank

Dinnae hink sae. Maybe the real horror of the story is that everyone's turning Scottish? *

Niemand's the only 2000ad reader who watched Mike Carroll sideline Dredd in bed for the entire summer of 2016 and resolved to emulate those white-hot thrills if he ever got his shot at a major story; Indigo Prime's like listening to a brickie whistle a familiar tune with too many notes of their own; and Abamosal's the dream sequence fake-out in every horror movie reimagined as a multi-part series.

I thought there might have been communication issues between the creative team on the last series of Anderson: Wait, What Now?, but it's clear narrative ellipses are a deliberate stylistic choice on the part of the author. And every story is going to be about a paranormal Big Narstie kidnapping one of the gang so the others have to rescue them from the same Pretend Land Absalom's happening in.

I've done a Scojo-style piece of outsider art that expresses my feelings**

* Buckie, Malky, Kirkstow, aye for yes/no' for not - I suppose Eglinton could wrap the series with the ritual sacrifice of Avril atop a giant burning teacake, by villagers desperate to make summer last for two whole days, rather than one (giving Celtic extra time to sign a Portuguese who bombed out of Wigan, before the transfer window closes). Just to remove the apparent ambiguity, ken?

** ... my feeling that Tharg's refusal to make every strip about a bad-ass loner antihero with three-day stubble shooting zombies in the 23rd century is an attempt to control my thoughts and thwart Brexit.

Tiplodocus

I don't understand whether you liked the stories or not.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

That makes two of us, Tips!

Whew, I thought Marney the Fox was hard hitting. This week Thistlebone earns its place alongside Killing Time etc. as a vehicle for utterly mind-blowing imagery - can it capitalise on all this visual glory with a bit of story to match and become this decade's Cradlegrave?

Dredd has a perfect conclusion, hats off to Not-Al and Staz. And a great supporting duo to look forward to more of.

Anderson.   I love Aneke's art, its fresh and colourful, and her uniform re-design is terrific, but there are just a few elements that pull me out of it. Lose the mobility scooters, draw Flowers as male and Anderson of voting age, and this would be great.As for Beeby's script, I admire the attempt to create an ongoing non-Grant storyline, but I think we probably need to wrap up this abducting-Karyn cycle sooner rather than later. She still writes the best Anderson for my money, mind.

Indigo Prime breaks my little squaxxy heart. I love IP, I count myself as Kek-W's biggest fan, and Lee draws the absolute stomm out of every page. I so very much want to like this. But instead I hate it. Best bit was the Nerve Centre summary, comedy gold.

Absalom is Absalom, always readable, always sumptuous. I'll miss it.

BPP

All the more reason to enjoy Franks review.

BPP

I think the last time I enjoyed an Anderson run was when Alan and Boo Cook were the team. The stories seemed self contained and fun / zippy. Since the Dowling (?) suicide Anderson I've barely kept up with it - something seems missing in her world in terms of distinctive support characters and enjoyable wider world when taken out of the 'one off adventure' story.

If I was Tharg I'd move her to the Meg and assign one proven script droid to build her a world - Williams or abnett would be ideal - one that's more than 'anderson and another emotional empath'. There is no reason Anderson can't have a supporting cast equal to Dredd to it never seems to happen. Indeed Lawson has surpassed her as the prime non-Dredd Judge fur all those very reason imho. Of course I could be wrong.

Magnetica

Yeah not much point putting Anderson in the Meg and having DAbnett write it whilst we have Lawless. I recently re-read the JD Mega collection Shamballa volume (Grant and Ranson) and it was fab. This seems like a completely different strip.

broodblik

Starting in Meg 410 we have a new Anderson story by Maura McHugh and Patrick Goddard
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Shamballa was a quarter-century ago, and was quickly followed by pure nonsense. IMO Grant's Anderson became insufferably dour, and the stories flat and repetitive, with a few exceptions.

I like Beeby's Anderson a lot, I just wish they had stayed with the older 'mentor' theme and the updated 50-something look that Dyer brought to the strip. But I accept that Anderson is 2000ADs flagship cheesecake, so young and perky she must stay.

Proudhuff

QuoteBest bit was the Nerve Centre summary, comedy gold.

Did make me guffaw too.

I'm lucky, In the Huffverse, Judge D'eath is still in the young Anderson encased in BongC, and until the Anderson goes up to 11 on a full menopause rampage thro Megacity one... its stays that way  :wave:
DDT did a job on me

norton canes

Great cover. With the talk of logos on the other thread, it's nice to remember that the logo can occasionally be sacrificed.

Within, Dredd and Absalom are very much on a higher plane than the other stories. Exemplary stuff. Thistlebone is becoming an intriguing read, delivering on its promise of weird thrills. Anderson PD is already becoming a bit of a skip for me. Mustn't lose focus! Concentrate! There are thrills to be had here!

As for Indigo Prime... hmm. Here, writ large, are the pitfalls of telling a complex, ongoing story in biennial chunks. That catch-up text is indeed extraordinary. I almost feel like I should be looking for hidden messages. Look, if you're going to have so long between chapters of a strip, surely it would be better to make each chapter a self-contained story? I don't see why so many strips have to be these ongoing ∞-part epics that need convoluted catch-ups. Just make the stories more compact, more punchy. A roving band of cosmic space/time engineers should be perfectly suited to short assignments. It's all too much of a drain on my retention circuits.

Proudhuff

Quote from: norton canes on 11 July, 2019, 11:06:18 AM
I don't see why so many strips have to be these ongoing ∞-part epics that need convoluted catch-ups.

Nail on the head... Totally agree, Dredd should be the template for most characters: the odd epic with short punchy episodes in between. Do we really need all that for five pages of comic action?

I suppose we could have an intro like that for Dredd each week covering the last 40 years  :lol: :-X
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

I do not mind the longer stories I do not like it when we have a 2 year break between them. Brink comes to mind on the longer stories but the breaks between is sorter.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Brink's chapters also broadly worked in standalone form. DA's pretty good at that – Kingdom pulled the same trick.