Main Menu

Steve Moore in Fortean Times

Started by SmallBlueThing(Reborn), 24 June, 2019, 11:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I was sure we had a thread somewhere about mentions of 2000AD in other publications and other media, but I can't find it. If it exists and a mod would like to merge this into there,  I'd be grateful.

Anyway, Steve Moore- known to us predominantly as writer of Tales of Telguuth and various one-offs in the prog, as well as many other seminal British strips going back (for me) as far as Warrior magazine, receives a two page article in the current Fortean Times. Written by his lifelong friend Bob Rickard, FT'S founding editor, it goes into some detail about his life and beliefs, his work and obsessions, as well as revealing what happened to his frankly astonishing library after his death, and the contents of said library.
Absolutely worth the £4.50 cover price alone, but when taken with the major feature on the resurgence of Folk Horror, it makes for a package that no squaxx of this parish will wish to miss.

SBT

Rately

Thanks for the info!

Been toying with subscribing to FT again after many years away, and you've helped make up my mind. Maybe they've even got to doing a digital version.

MacabreMagpie

On a related note, I'm reading the book 'Watling Street' by John Higgs at the minute and that (besides being a great read) has lengthy bits about Steve Moore's life and death and also a chapter on Alan Moore.

Dandontdare

Thanks for the tip - I also went through a phase of buying FT some years ago, I'll look out for this.

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 25 June, 2019, 10:44:32 AM
On a related note, I'm reading the book 'Watling Street' by John Higgs at the minute and that (besides being a great read) has lengthy bits about Steve Moore's life and death and also a chapter on Alan Moore.

...and for this tip too! Hadn't heard of it but a quick google and it sounds right up my street - I was poised to order the book and discovered a 4 part podcast version (including a chat with the Bearded One) which I'm currently downloading to try first.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 June, 2019, 01:46:45 PM
Thanks for the tip - I also went through a phase of buying FT some years ago, I'll look out for this.

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 25 June, 2019, 10:44:32 AM

...and for this tip too! Hadn't heard of it but a quick google and it sounds right up my street - I was poised to order the book and discovered a 4 part podcast version (including a chat with the Bearded One) which I'm currently downloading to try first.

I was unaware of the podcast so I'll check that out too, cheers.

Either way, I'd recommended one of Higgs' other books, "Stranger Than We Can Imagine", utterly blew my mind a year or two ago when I read it.

Trout

John Higgs also wrote First Church On The Moon, which features a moonbase named after Steve Moore.

I once had the pleasure of interviewing John for a Canadian newspaper and wish to state he is a lovely, lovely human being who writes amazing books. I recommend all his work, especially Stranger Than We Can Imagine, which is incredibly good.

Dandontdare

Let nobody say I'm easily influenced!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Ah, that's brilliant. FT is always worth a punt for something to read over a pint in the afternoon. When was the last time I had a pint in the afternoon?  When was the last time I had a pint? When was the last time I drank any alcohol come to that? JULY, that's when. Go me!
Will have to pick that book up too.
SBT

Dandontdare

:D I'm on my hols!

It's hard to get time off at work unless you book it a year in advance, and the only block of days I could get in Summer was now. I'd planned to go on holiday with friends, but due to some nasty back pain and my friends' incompatible schedule, it never happened, so I've spent my 10 days doing dentist, optician and doctor's appointments (Two extractions and I'm booked in for some spinal injections tomorrow - yay!), but I have also been indulging in a few leisurely afternoon pints!

MacabreMagpie

Hope you enjoy the book, mate! Though I'm confident you will, as mentioned above, John Higgs is great.

Marsh8Y

A kindred-spirit whom Rickard met at a comics convention when the latter was a sub-editor at IPC

[link removed – IP]

Ronald359

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 26 June, 2019, 08:29:52 PM
Hope you enjoy the book, mate! Though I'm confident you will, as mentioned above, John Higgs is great. vidmate app

I once had the pleasure of interviewing John for a Canadian newspaper and wish to state he is a lovely, lovely human being who writes amazing books. I recommend all his work, especially Stranger Than We Can Imagine, which is incredibly good.