Main Menu

Prog 2100 - Anderson's Darkest Hour

Started by Richard, 22 September, 2018, 11:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

I thought Billi had aged a bit, since when we met her she looked about 12. But unlike Dredd and early Strontium Dog, it's never been suggested that time passes in Sinister Dexter at the same rate it does out here.

Proudhuff

Wow what a Prog!!! Back to firing on all cylinders only one missed step...
Nice cover but its that classic DC 'does happen in the story' image. And yes it is Cass's darkest hour.

Loving the paper quality and Droidicide is a loverly word.

Dredd: Wonderful team up of droids and has me hooked, Are the Enceladus stories collected?  Loving the return of [spoiler]Dirty Frank[/spoiler] and the House call is a welcome addition.
Brink again wonderful droid team up and use of expo and colour, looking forward t this tale.

Skip Tracer willing to give this another try on the back of this episode

Anderson; Artwork cracking here only thing it could use a change of POV occasionally, but the story is straight out of Savage Sword of Conan circa 1973 and much like The magazine we have an Anderson that having done 40 years on the street looks like she's straight out of Cloak and dagger, sigh

Sin/Dex is fun I think... Stop that!

Fiends: Is a delight to the eye and a nifty take on and old tale, with fiends like these... :-X

That Subby offer may just make me change my ways if I came ebay some old stuff

Kingdom: Excellent addition to the canon,  hoping that last page heralds a new dawn and the ticks do the promised evolving.

Overall a truly stunning prog and a great jumping on issue.
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

broodblik

Great prog. The prog continues is trend thus year of being really good.

Dredd: Great start to a new story. Hooked from the beginning and welcome back for Flint on art duty.

Brink: One of my favourite new stories in recent years. Mister Abnett's best work (yes including the brilliant Lawless)

Skip Tracer: liked the first series and glad to see it is back. Would still like to see Marshall return on art duty but any prog just feels more complete with a piece of MacNeil's Art

Anderson: The story was not bad at all but I am still in two minds if I like Lynch's art or not.

Sin/Dex: was not bad, let us see where this is heading

Fiends: When this was announced I was hoping to see MacNeil using his Defoe style on the story. I was surprised by Taylor's take on the art department and everything is just great about this

Kingdom: I always liked this and glad to see it return.

Cover: The cover is not bad but I wonder why some of the older guard form yesterday like Bolland , Cam or Fabry could not have a go.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Goosegash

Quote from: Tjm86 on 22 September, 2018, 03:43:17 PM
Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 22 September, 2018, 12:47:38 PM
the combo of Rob Williams and Henry Flint is much more successful than Wagner/Flint in the Meg400 which felt a bit like a throwaway gag to me (sorry, John).

TBH the Meg Dredd felt a little like old school Dredd.  As about as subtle as a well aimed brick and simple fun.  Williams' Dredd is far more serious and very much in keeping with his current approach.  The final denouement was telegraphed in the first page and the return of Dirty Frank was definitely a welcome addition.  I'm not sure I'd go with 'more successful' since the two are both very different beasts.

As for the prog as a whole; aside from the cover, a veritable feast.

That doesn't surprise me all that much, as over the last few years(or maybe longer) it seems like Wagner has quietly surrendered most of his Dredd duties to become more of an occasional contributor, and in terms of taking the lead, Williams has stepped nicely into his shoes.

The Meg story did make me realise how much I miss ol' John W's narrative voice on Dredd strips though, there's no-one else does it quite like him.

robert_ellis

This might be the best prog ever. It's embarassingly good. I'm too excited by a Dredd mega story by Flint & co. I'm so glad to see the distinctive Brink back and more disturbing than ever! Tharg is truely generous!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: robert_ellis on 26 September, 2018, 10:38:08 PM
This might be the best prog ever....

Wow that's a great shout. I doubt I'd ever be able to settle on a single Prog but certainly would stir up interesting discussion.

Frank

I'd [spoiler]like[/spoiler] to [spoiler]tell[/spoiler] you [spoiler]what[/spoiler] I thought of Brink, but these fucking black boxes [spoiler]keep[/spoiler] covering up every [spoiler]four[/spoiler]-letter [spoiler]word[/spoiler].

TordelBack

So that was all good,  much of it excellent, but everything sort-of cowers in the shadow of Brink. What an opener!

And you really have to feel for Skip Tracer: despite the addition of one of the most outstanding artists in the comic's history,  its second chance to shine is up against so many strips that grab you by the throat from the first page - KingdomFiends, Small House. Best of luck, lads!

IndigoPrime

I'm not sure what was going on with those black boxes. Either have swearing or don't. Still, at least it didn't quite head to Marvel "@£$%^&" territory.

TordelBack

I thought it was very effective. It played very well into the genteel menace of the cultists, with their domestic implements and suburban pleasantries, contrasting with Alan's raw terror. Very clever,  very Abnett.

From a personal perspective, I don't really want several pages of f*cks in my weekly SF adventure comic, and Brink doesn't do made-up swears,  so for me this very nicely conveyed a character's voice in extremis.

robert_ellis

Was it the potty mouth issue of Frank Miller's All Star Batman that had blacked out all the swearing but it was still quite legible? I quite liked the 'redacted' curse-words look. Having chatted at length to Culbard at Thought Bubble I was excited to read Brink Season 3, its the perfect distillation of Lovecraft, Sci-fi and True Detective. The deceptively minimal art and lurid colours are just amazing.

Magnetica

I don't want swearing in my comics. Don't mind it on telly, but not in something I might want to give to my children ( not that they are interested  :'(. ).

Richard

Disown them and cast them into the street.

Tiplodocus

An absolute belter of a prog from beginning to end. Most fun I've had (without Mrs. Tips) in ages.

But why can't digital subscribers get the offer? Surely we mean more money for Tharg's polystyrene cup habit?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!