Main Menu

A Tharg for Pat Mills

Started by ming, 22 July, 2010, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

I wanted to call the thread Bring me the head Tharg of Alfredo Garcia Pat Mills but apparently you can't have strikethroughs in the thread title.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the 3A 2000AD toy thread, I was thinking of picking up an extra 3A Tharg as a gift for one of the original creators of 2000AD, with Pat Mills being at the top of the list.  I've moved ahead with this and have now got a second Tharg ready to ship...

The relationship between Pat and 2000AD has had its ups and downs, but I'm pretty certain that he's justifiably proud of a large portion of his contributions to the Galaxy's Greatest and has a good deal of affection for 2000AD.

As such, I'd be willing to take the gamble that he'd accept a Tharg figure in the spirit in which I'd send it - just a small token of appreciation for his role in creating and fuelling the Galaxy's Greatest Comic.  If I was having a Reggie Perrin moment, I'd state the obvious and add that 2000AD wouldn't be where it is today without Pat Mills.

If anyone has a reasonable idea that this is a stupid idea and I should send it to Kev O'Neill instead, I'm all ears!

Otherwise, I'd like to track down a direct mailing address for Pat (or maybe I could send this via the Nerve Centre?)

If anyone wants to chip in on this they're more than welcome, but I'm happy to cover the costs.  We can sort stuff out by p.m. or get a list of names going, but it's happening either way.

:)

Richmond Clements

That's a great idea!

If no-one has helped you already, I can put you an Pat in touch.

ming

Thanks, Richmond.  I asked Rufus for help with this (and promised I wasn't going to send Pat a poo in a shoebox) but didn't hear back yet.

Any assistance gratefully received!

Richmond Clements

Mikey

Just reiterating my intention to chip in Ming. How the hell did you score a second!?  :)

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Fatboydale

what about sending me a freebie Tharg .... or at least showing me where to get one ....

Woolly

Thats an arsom idea!

Maybe it could start with Pat.
He could get himself photographed with it and then pass it on to someone else, say Kev O'Neil, who could pass it to Brian Bolland, etc etc.

Get the photos posted up here somewhere, it'd be brilliant!
:D :D :D

ming

Quote from: Mikey on 22 July, 2010, 04:55:12 PM
Just reiterating my intention to chip in Ming. How the hell did you score a second!?  :)

M.

Thanks Mikey, I'll send a p.m. your way when things are sorted.  I'll drop Pat a line tomorrow and see how things move from there...

As for where I scored Tharg #2... not eBay ;)   The trusty 3A BST (buy, sell, trade) board came up trumps, so I just paid retail plus a bit for shipping.  If any others come up, and anyone (Dale?) wants a heads up, give me a shout and I'll see if I can set you up.

The idea of a mobile Tharg doing the rounds among the cornerstone creators is a nice one, but they should probably get one each!

Jared Katooie

I think every editor of 2000AD should get a Tharg. Kind of like a prize for all their hard work.

And I think Ming should buy them all!

rogue69

If you want I can give you his mobile number so you can talk to himabout this

Mikey

Quote from: ming on 22 July, 2010, 08:07:36 PM

As for where I scored Tharg #2... not eBay ;)   The trusty 3A BST

Ah, the fabled BST board! I'm still working on that...It's definately a good wee community over there.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

willthemightyW

Like I said before, I might be able to chip in and also get you the address.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

mogzilla

surely carlos the squirrel deserves one as well!!!

ming

Quote from: willthemightyW on 23 July, 2010, 11:57:25 AM
Like I said before, I might be able to chip in and also get you the address.

Thanks, Will.  I have Pat's email address so will drop him a line and see what develops.  As for chipping in, I'll p.m. any interested parties once the details are set.  I'll accept no more than a fiver unless there are a bunch of people interested, the it'll be less.

Carlos... A Tharg would be nice, but a Dredd would be better.  Or a Johnny Alpha... Might have to wait some months, depending when the figures get released.  I'll work on that...  Leave it to me.

Daveycandlish

What a damned fine idea.
Count me in to chip in for this!

And I second the idea of something for Carlos
Of course, if we start awarding the Greats, shouldn't John Wagner be one of the first, too?
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!