Main Menu

Dredd Helmet Paint Job

Started by chris_askham, 14 March, 2017, 11:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

It's not just the colour of the Helmet what about the texture in the drawings it looks like dimpled but is that supposed to be the paint job (camouflage)?
I've also seen the Bags as Brown or green. including a mixture (bag green and straps brown)

I think I have a long way till I get to Painting anyway. I've got Ideas on the Bag (box) and the body & butt of the gun. I'm also thinking of going for a steel army surplus Helmet and adding the "bumps" some how.
These are the problems I'm looking forward to solving  :)

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

positronic

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 26 April, 2017, 08:57:21 PM
It's not just the colour of the Helmet what about the texture in the drawings it looks like dimpled but is that supposed to be the paint job (camouflage)?
I've also seen the Bags as Brown or green. including a mixture (bag green and straps brown)

I think I have a long way till I get to Painting anyway. I've got Ideas on the Bag (box) and the body & butt of the gun. I'm also thinking of going for a steel army surplus Helmet and adding the "bumps" some how.
These are the problems I'm looking forward to solving  :)

I'm pretty sure the texture of the appearance of the helmet is in the actual metal surface, not any paint job. That goes for whatever other textures Gibbons indicated by shading, crosshatching, or stippling techniques -- I think it's safe to assume it's the actual texture of the materials used that he's conveying, not any indications of surface paint or dye.

And well, of course Gibbons didn't color his own penciled and inked work (that I know of, anyway), so you should just pick from among the color work you've seen that looks best or most natural or logical to you. Of course, should you discover that I'm wrong about this and Gibbons DID supply his own color work in some instances, those would probably be the most 'definitive' color guides, IMO.

Trooper McFad

Thanks to Mod 500 I can now show you my first attempts at creating some boys toys for myself  :D
and trying to upload images.

Trooper McFad

Ooops! I think I have to practice on uploading pics. Hope you can still see the overall effect.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 27 April, 2017, 07:14:27 PM
Ooops! I think I have to practice on uploading pics. Hope you can still see the overall effect.
To display them in a post, rather than a attachment links, you need to upload them to an image-hosting site like Photobucket, copy the link from that site (photobucket offers 4 links, I usually use the one labelled DIRECT), click the "insert image" icon on a new post and paste the link between the square brackets.

Helmet's  looking great!

Trooper McFad

Thanks Dandontdare I'll give it a try

Trooper McFad

Forgive me but I'm trying to use Danontdare's advice and use a link to my pictures on Photobucket, Hopefully this is easier to see my efforts.
http://s350.photobucket.com/user/TrooperMcFad/media/Dredd%20Equipment%20Project/IMG_4510%201_zpsimyzlaj8.jpeg.html?o=1

Trooper McFad

Looks like I've cracked it Thanks Dandontdare for the tip.

Now to plan my next project  :)

positronic

Fabulous work, Trooper!!

Interesting that the helmet shield appears more gold when viewed from a distance at an angle, in the group photo shot, while in the next photo shot from head-on, it appears more of a flat yellow ochre.

Great job all around.