Main Menu

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 22 October, 2016, 12:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: von Boom on 07 June, 2018, 08:51:57 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 06 June, 2018, 11:21:16 PM
thanks, Disney, you fascism-embracing dick knockers.

Thanks for my new signature!

was introduced to the Yiddish word 'schmeckle' the other day as a wonderful euphemism.

How about

"Thanks Disney, you subjugation-supporting schmeckle savourers"?

ZenArcade

Booked a sneaky half day, going to see it in the Movie House at 2:15.  £4.90. Z ;)
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

ZenArcade

Wasn't too bad, the start on Correllia was impressive.  Quite liked the dude with the Alfred Bester 'Stars my destination' face. Dragged a bit, the Solo guy weren't no Harrison Ford.  Not a classic, but passed two hours. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Mardroid

Just saw it, and I'm on my way home now on a noisy bus. 23:07 and there's noisy youngsters on the bus. Well it is Friday night.*

Anyway, I enjoyed that a lot! A very enjoyable film and I enjoyed that cameo.

* While waiting at the bus stop another kid though it would be amusing go knock my  cap off. So after an enjoyable time my thoughts went rather to the dark side, although I didn't retaliate appart from calling "good one, you idiot!" (Last two words were a bit quieter, to be fair. There were at least 5 of them and I'm alone. ) Still, it hasn't spoiled my night out.

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 June, 2018, 12:48:53 PM
If there was one Star Wars film I thought people would want to go and see after being disappointed by TLJ, it's this one...!

Can't answer for anyone else, but for me the distaste of TLJ was so strong it was simply time to say goodbye to the Star Wars Galaxy from that point onward. Simple as that.
I've certainly had precedent with dropping previously highly regarded entertainments like a hot snot, X-Men comics and WWE wrestling come to mind.

Professor Bear

All petulance aside, TLJ was an organic jumping-off point for a certain generation of Star Wars fan: no more Han, no more Luke, no more Leia - we all love Chewie and those gay robots, but if you don't think they can carry a film on their own and don't think much of the new characters, why would you bother coming back for another movie that contains none of the original stars and isn't about the Jedi/Empire stuff?
I can see why Solo wouldn't enthuse someone, but it's a shame as I really liked it.  I'm thinking of starting a social media narrative about how "SJWs" are what are keeping the film back because L3 makes fun of them and feminists and lefties have no sense of humor about themselves, so hopefully the incels and fanboys will flock to see it before it leaves cinemas.  I know it's not much, but it's still more of a plan for marketing this turkey than Disney had.

Steve Green

I've still not seen it, just not had the urge - not because of any TLJ backlash (didn't love it, didn't particularly hate it, found some moments dumb, some visually spectacular).

Generally cinema is too expensive in London to justify it - £17-20+

I've not seen the past 4 or 5 marvel films either, so for me it's also a bit fantasy/genre fatigue + all the noise around these films, I generally can't be arsed.

There's a stack of Blu-Rays I've bought and yet to watch, let alone get to the cinema.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 June, 2018, 04:48:26 PM
Generally cinema is too expensive in London to justify it - £17-20+

You bloody WHAT - seriously... is that for like regular cinema not these 4D, G-Max schnengans I hear about?

I get outraged everytime I go to the cinema and pay a tenner, but that's summit else.

Oh and to keep on track TLJ is still great and Solo was okay.

Steve Green

£16 for a 2D screen at the Odeon in Wimbledon (inc booking fee) to see Jurassic World. £1 extra for premiere seating I think.

Daytime it drops to £14.

£21 inc fee for the same but in IMAX 3D.

It's cheaper over East London, or if I went further south to Sutton, but Odeon is generally very pricey.

JOE SOAP

Daylight robbery. That's about €6-8 more than the a screen at a Dublin IMC.

Magnetica

My local cinema has a £4.99 on Mondays deal.

Not that I have availed myself of it.

Steve Green

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 June, 2018, 06:42:59 PM

Daylight robbery. That's about €6-8 more than the a screen at a Dublin IMC.

Yep - there's a Curzon above the HMV in the high street but that's not much cheaper.

Even the Picturehouse in Piccadilly Circus is around the same price.

I guess they want to sell subscriptions/monthly memberships.

anyway... that's why I haven't seen Solo, because the ticket prices are Sohigh.

Mattofthespurs

I pay monthly for a Cineworld card. £17.99 per month and I can go as often as I wish.
It's not unusual for me to go to the cinema 10-12 times in a month.
I've loads of films that I would not have normally seen that way.

TordelBack

Oh my brothers, I can hardly breathe for dry heaving guffaws. Just reading anti-Disney "fans" waxing rapturous over Lucas interview nugget where he reveals his version of the ST would have been "microbiotic",  i.e. about midichlorians. Apparently, this would have been FAR superior to TLJ, much revisionist chin-stroking reveals. Ignoring the fact that the PT would have done more with midichlorians if 'fan' outrage hadn't made them a popular synonym for childhood-r***ng, and overlooking that YOU'RE THE REASON LUCAS SOLD UP, MOOF-MILKERS.

JOE SOAP

Those microbiotic Force-users shall return in Episode VIII: The Least Jedi